News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I believe that commercial buildings in the city have less protection from demolition than residential buildings.

Is demolition certain? What was the point in getting these buildings listed? Force the owners to work around the existing buildings -- any inconveniences are their problem. How can we allow for heritage buildings to be demolished for parking spaces? What a sick joke. If this goes ahead, then why even bother listing buildings? What incentive is there to do so when this sort of thing can occur so easily.

Last edited:
Waiting for a call back from Preservation Services. (That would not be before Monday now obviously.) It's quite possible the office building is staying with the rest going. We'll see!

HPS should work to get it designated as soon as possible. This building cannot be destroyed: not only is its architecture exceptionally refined, it's a crucial part of the community's history.

Passed by on bus a few hours ago and plant is basically gone. Was in such shock I failed to check on the office building. The Coke bottle is still there and it would be nice if it remained as what was there in the past. I wont get into the debate of the proposed Costco other than traffic will be hell and not sure how the community will feel about it.

Passed by on bus a few hours ago and plant is basically gone. Was in such shock I failed to check on the office building. The Coke bottle is still there and it would be nice if it remained as what was there in the past. I wont get into the debate of the proposed Costco other than traffic will be hell and not sure how the community will feel about it.

The office building is still standing, looking undisturbed from what i could tell (it was evening). The plant (which was a nothing building) is indeed almost completely torn down.

The office building is still standing, looking undisturbed from what i could tell (it was evening). The plant (which was a nothing building) is indeed almost completely torn down.

I wouldn't call the plant a "nothing building". The glass portion facing Overlea was pretty handsome and should have been saved. The rest of the building was a typical warehouse, however.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call the plant a "nothing building". The glass portion facing Overlea was pretty handsome and should have been saved. The rest of the building was a typical warehouse, however.

you are correct. its a bit harsh to call it a nothing building, to be honest i hadn't taken all that close a look at it when i photographed the office, since the office is really the hero of the site.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7069...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s764j5TIvDA9H8iJXe__eYA!2e0

I took a drove by tonight hoping to get a look at the demolition; unfortunately the site was blocked off by fencing, so I just decided to check out the progress at LivLofts at Shops at Don Mills, instead (which is almost complete).

The Coke building hasn't been touched, thankfully. Has it been designated yet, or is it still just listed? I would have liked to have seen the glass portion of the plant saved, in addition to the Coke building, and had the Costo built in behind. Of course now all the lovely landscaping has been destroyed (along Overlea) and that will become a massive asphalt entrance to the Costco. Yippee!

I called Heritage Preservation Services and left messages several times trying to get the answer to that, and never got a reply. Feel free to ask Ratini (pronounced 'Rogny') at 416-338-1075. Good luck!

I called Heritage Preservation Services and left messages several times trying to get the answer to that, and never got a reply. Feel free to ask Ratini (pronounced 'Rogny') at 416-338-1075. Good luck!

Or someone could try tweeting Councillor Parker? I'd do it, but I don't use Twitter.

I sent Councillor Parker an email about this weeks ago. No response.

I heard the rear addition will not be saved, but the rest will be. No word on the interiors.

Back