News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There is the strong possibility that either some or all of these things will be true:
  • 70% targets will break through hesitancy that exists
  • 70% is enough in summer with a single dose. Through the winter it might not be enough, and unless we get higher with double doses, we will have a winter wave.
  • 70% isn't enough since the 30% is assortative - they hang out with each-other, leading to a summer fourth wave
  • Alberta will be the poster child of success as cases are flat for much of July, until 'all of a sudden' they aren't
  • Alberta will look brilliant for a period
  • Reopening without a case spike will just reinforce the opinions of people who thought this was fake
This is my worry:
1622072404506.png

The majority of the unvaccinated will be rural people who will probably not be interacting with a lot of people. 70% vaccinated with first dose or full doses plus the approximately 10% immune from previous infection leaves us with success. We are vaccinating entire small cities worth of people almost daily now. The Alberta plan should work. I bet we have all the second doses injected by mid August.

If 70-80% of the population has been vaccinated or have anti-bodies from having contracted the disease, then that should be sufficient to govern policy decisions. Sure it is possible there could be outbreaks even if that goal is achieved but they will be much smaller in nature.
Whatever happens to 20% of the population who by that late stage have decided not to get vaccinated, should not be of concern to everyone else who has been vaccinated. That is their personal decision and they have to live with the consequences.

I hope it is, but if it isn't and infections stay high enough to keep a steady stream of 50+ COVID patients in ICUs, will have to make a much more concerted push on the rest of the population. ICU beds cost a ton to run and keeping enough capacity for both a baseline winter level of COVID, and a baseline winter level of flu, would be expensive.

The timeline does seem pretty optimistic, but we shall see what happens! I'm hopeful we can come close to it though, i'm ready to go to a live show any time now lol.

I saw on the news the premier of Manitoba mentioned that 75% of the people hospitalized from covid are people who haven't been vaccinated. I don't know the stats here, but I suspect we will be seeing the same thing here, and that percentage will grow as time goes on. Hopefully it wakes up people who are on the fence about getting vaccinated.

Over the course of the entire pandemic, there are just over 220,000 people in Alberta who have contracted COVID and survived (including those who have developed long-term or chronic disease and 1000s who have been hospitalized and/or admitted to the ICU). Among this 220,000, we do not know how strong their overall immunity is.

By comparison, we can currently vaccinate that same number of people in only 5 days in Alberta, giving them a known immunity of about 60-80%. It really puts into perspective of how unrealistic it would have been to try to get to herd immunity through natural spread. After all that suffering over the first year of the pandemic, we developed an insignificant level of herd immunity. Thank god for the vaccines!

the serology studies of last summer put herd immunity by infection to rest for anyone whose views weren't frozen in time. There was hope that we had like 20, or 30 times the population having covid compared to lab confirmed tests. turns out the multiplier was 2 as of last June for Alberta.

For a more middle of the road expert opinion:
“I think for people who have been immunized and keeping it as an outdoor event–I mean really outdoor, no people inside–it’s probably going to be okay,”

For a more middle of the road expert opinion:
“I think for people who have been immunized and keeping it as an outdoor event–I mean really outdoor, no people inside–it’s probably going to be okay,”
We don't know what the final modified Stampede is going to be but consider this
  • the chuckwagon races are already a no go
  • I heard somewhere that although the midway is on, it will be smaller and more spread out
  • it appears the rodeo, a signature event, will proceed but what about international participants? Are they all going to be able to get here and probably have to quarantine (won't that be fun for them) beforehand?
  • it's hard to envision the Western Showcase and Big 4 food pavilion being anything close to what we expect. For one, these are indoor venues. I don't know if most of the exhibitors and businesses are Alberta based. If so, they might be able to react and adjust. Not that easy if you are coming from outside the province. If these venues are still planned there will be fewer participants for sure.
I guess the biggest risk in all of this is ... What if come early July, we don't meet the re-opening metrics, COVID is still a big threat and the pressure is on to call off the Stampede at the last minute?? I would not want to be the person(s) making that decision or any of the businesses and participants making the trek to Calgary. Could this event not be pushed to later in the summer? It's not like everyone involved had these dates permanently blocked in their calendar. There was always the possibility that large outdoor events would not be allowed for a second year in a row.

Last edited:
I saw on the news the premier of Manitoba mentioned that 75% of the people hospitalized from covid are people who haven't been vaccinated. I don't know the stats here, but I suspect we will be seeing the same thing here, and that percentage will grow as time goes on. Hopefully it wakes up people who are on the fence about getting vaccinated.
I wouldn't be surprised if by the middle of summer 95% of the people in the hospital will be people who weren't vaccinated.

We don't know what the final modified Stampede is going to be but consider this
  • the chuckwagon races are already a no go
  • I heard somewhere that although the midway is on, it will be smaller and more spread out
  • it appears the rodeo, a signature event, will proceed but what about international participants? Are they all going to be able to get here and probably have to quarantine (won't that be fun for them) beforehand?
  • it's hard to envision the Western Showcase and Big 4 food pavilion being anything close to what we expect. For one, these are indoor venues. I don't know if most of the exhibitors and businesses are Alberta based. If so, they might be able to react and adjust. Not that easy if you are coming from outside the province. If these venues are still planned there will be fewer participants for sure.
I guess the biggest risk in all of this is ... What if come early July, we don't meet the re-opening metrics, COVID is still a big threat and the pressure is on to call off the Stampede at the last minute?? I would not want to be the person(s) making that decision or any of the businesses and participants making the trek to Calgary. Could this event not be pushed to later in the summer? It's not like everyone involved had these dates permanently blocked in their calendar. There was always the possibility that large outdoor events would not be allowed for a second year in a row.

I agree with you. A late August Stampede could have happened; it's the 1000 pound gorilla of events, even if it had to muscle out Regina or whoever out of their slot.

From CTV:
The Grandstand Show, which traditionally followed the final heat of the races each night, has been rebranded as an 'Evening Show' and is set to include rodeo events, live music, The Young Canadians and fireworks. [...] This year's event is scheduled to include the Stampede Rodeo, midway, Elbow River Camp, Nashville North, The Big Four Roadhouse, BMO Market, Western Showcase, as well as agriculture showcases and competitions. [...] The Stampede does hope to have some version of a parade this year but is still in talks with the city about a potential permit.
The bolded part mine; three closely packed indoor venues, two of which feature lots of drinking. (The Western showcase is indoors as are most of the ag stuff, but they aren't as closely packed.) And while outdoor transmission is rare, the conditions of a parade -- standing elbow to elbow with random strangers for several hours in a row -- are riskier than 99% of outdoor time.

Unfortunately, the playbook on the last two waves have seen the UCP government delay and delay on closing until weeks after it's apparent to everyone that the case rate is skyrocketing, then finally acting -- with much higher cost (in lives and dollars) than if they had acted weeks earlier. I can't imagine a fourth wave being different.

If it's clear there's a massive outbreak happening by day 5 of the Stampede, nobody -- not Kenney, not Notley, not the ghost of Peter Lougheed -- would be tough enough to cancel day 6 to 10. So if the Stampede starts, it'll go. And even if it's clear there's a massive outbreak happening a couple of days before the Stampede starts, I'm not sure anybody would be tough enough to cancel it then. With a couple of weeks out? Maybe someone willing to be aggressive with closures for public safety even if some rural MLAs are angry about it, but that's not and never has been Jason Kenney, and in any case that would mean shutting down the level 3 opening before it even started. The Stampede is happening with this announcement, safe or not. (The midway enters the province in mid-June.)

I've talked to a handful of people since the announcement; friends, family, even basically strangers. None of them planned to go to the Stampede, but they've almost all been following the rules, gotten vaccinated, etc. My worry is that the Stampede will act as the mother of all attractors for people who aren't playing it safe, who aren't vaccinated, who don't follow the rules. And those folks shop and work in the same supermarkets that everybody goes to, they ride the same elevators as everybody else, they work in the same businesses, they fill up the same health care system.

A concern is the rise in B.1.617.2, which is causing a surge right now in the UK, even though they are ahead of us on vaccinations -- especially with both doses. It's not the dominant strain here yet, but it could be.
1622220278430.png

I sure hope that it turns out to be a safe Stampede, and it could. But it may not be. I don't think I'd take that gamble with people's lives.

I wouldn't be surprised if by the middle of summer 95% of the people in the hospital will be people who weren't vaccinated.

Vaccines don’t reduce the worry, risk for immunocompromised people

About 2.7% of the population are immunocompromised, including people with HIV/AIDS, people fighting cancer, and transplant recipients. That's around 100,000 adults in Alberta, who may be vaccinated but won't be protected -- and who are at increased risk if/when they do get Covid-19.

Anyways, with all that jibber-jabber and opinion, my penance was to do actual data crunching. Here's the most recent vaccination progress by health regions:

1622226009512.png

The areas are health regions or major cities using their boundaries (ie St Albert is in EDMONTON remainder, even though it is functionally just another suburb.) The total is people with one dose versus all people (including kids under 12). The 'standardized' column is the share adjusted to have the same split of population by age in all areas; that doesn't make a big difference at this scale but does at the LGA area level, for instance Calgary Upper NE has only 43.6% total rate, but because it has tons of kids under 12, if it had the same age distribution as the province, it'd have 48.7%.
Note that vaccine progress in some of the rural areas is slightly understated -- vaccines in Lloydminister (Central region) are given and tracked by Saskatchewan, and AHS may not include data from First Nations Inuit and Health Branch, Indigenous Services Canada in their area numbers (they don't in the aggregate numbers), so some areas like High Level have suspiciously low rates. I suspect this might drop Central and North by 1 to 2 percent.

Back