News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I realize it may be a bit farther north than what you're looking for, but if the weather's nice and a walk is in order I suggest Ella's Uncle at Dundas and Bellwoods. Good drinks and yummy snacks they bake themselves.

^Yeah but it's not really that comfy. (They only have 3 stools or so.) There's Ezra's Pound, and apparently another new coffee shop (The Tampered Press--grand opening today!) has opened opposite Trinity Bellwoods Park on Dundas, beside Salon Goulart @Dundas&Shaw. Crazy coffee wars on Dundas West, with Communal Mule a mere 1 minute walk (or 2 blocks) east, then Ezra's Pound another minute east of that, then Ella's Uncle across the street from Ezra's Pound, and so many more!

Last edited:
Ezra's Pound, Ella's Uncle. What's next: Bill's Bunion, Motorman's Glove, Bride's Biscuit...wait, we're talking about coffee houses here, not greyhound names...

Adma, I think you need one of these:
PR-313-60.jpg

Metroman, I just saw yet another coffee/tea shop that's opened on WQW, beside my old favourite hangout La Hacienda:

dsc01498p.jpg

That means this strip of Queen is rammed full of coffee/tea houses--from Tim Hortons @Bathurst, to Niche Coffee&Tea, Second Cup, this place, Quaff, Dufflet, Terroni, Coffee Time, Nadege, White Squirrel, Clafouti, and more. Nuts!

Then up on Dundas West, in a basement near Claremont is some weird looking cafe--could be one of those medicinal marijuana places that also serves tea and coffee, or just a front for something? I dunno....

dsc01467.jpg

And yesterday's brand spanking newly opened "The Tampered Press"--well I popped inside for a minute, it looks comfy, if not super trendy. Perhaps a bit more old school Portuguese trying to capitalize on the indie coffee scene? The coffee smelled good, but like Happy Daze, the coffee was bit on the pricey side. (I wasn't in the mood for coffee today, so can't tell you if it was any good.)

dsc01465u.jpg

^Dundas@Shaw, north side.

Last edited:
And to add to the list on Dundas St West, starting at Bathurst: Tim Hortons on the north side, Mcdonalds on the south side; Coffee Crime has disappeared, there's the Palmerstonian just north of Dundas@Palmerston, (with a newish organic grocery store beside it) that good Portuguese chain name escapes me at this moment--amazing coffee btw!, Musa (my favourite brunch in Toronto, their coffee is kinda blah, better to cross the street to Ella's Uncle), Cafe Brasiliano, Saving Grace Cafe (their coffee sucks though), Ella's Uncle, Happy Daze, Ezra's Pound, the Communal Mule, The Tampered Press, the Lakeview just east of Ossington, just west of Ossington a new place--Beans and Company?--is about to open, then several good Portuguese cafes, then Grain Curd and Bean, Zoots, Gayley's, Naco Gallery and Cafe (good Mexican food here), then over the bridge a new coffee place is opening sometime soon--near Golden/Morrow, skip on up towards the Junction and you have Cool Hand of a Girl (again, good Mexican food, interesting spiced coffee and interesting teas), Galaxy Donuts, the Beet, Agora's, Crema, Little Fish, Reba's, and ..................... You could spend all your money in a different coffee shop every day in Toronto for a year!

What Toronto really needs: A kick ass Chai House! Something like the Chai House in Ballard/Seattle, which btw I just noticed today has just closed thanks to a condo going on that site. :( Hope they reopen somewhere else.

Last edited:
If you don't mind walking south a bit, you should check out La Merceria (Adelaide/Portland), Jimmy's Coffee (a few steps south on Portland St.) and Spice Safar on King St.

We all know Dark Horse Espresso is opening next door to Sydney's, but further west, the coffee scene is about ready to get over saturated with indie java.... Last year, Blondie's coffee/pub opened in Parkdale, this year several opened in Parkdale. Coming soon to Parkdale?

1)East Parkdale: Capital looks hot, very Dark Horse style
dsc01709y.jpg

2)West Parkdale, near Roncevalles, and giving Cherry Bomb and Tinto a run for their money? Formerly a Barbershop/art gallery:
dsc01710z.jpg

3)The Abbot, near King and Dufferin.

How do we know Dark Horse is opening next to Sydneys? There was another thread saying that David's was opening in that location...

Capital Espresso is open for biz, and it's hot! Kinda like Dark Horse on Spadina.:) It's owned by the kids behind Blondie's, which started as a coffee shop but now is exclusively a night time bar space. Their house made muffins are supposedly very good, for those that love sugary carbs....

I really like Quaff and go there often.

Greg's ice cream at White Squirrel is fantastic.

Has anyone been to that new little bakery place that opened next to Bellwoods across from Noce?

Back