8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Definitely on its way down:
16400259295284165276815903641115.jpg

2nd crane going up at the Uxborough project in the NW
Probably means the medical office and either the hotel or apartment tower are both going ahead. None of those buildings individually would require two tower cranes.

Current crane count is 22. If anyone sees a mistake in the list, let me know.

Residential
Deville (Quarry Park) 1
Place 10 (downtown) 1
15 Aspen Summit Drive SW (Aspen Woods) 1
The Dells (Dalhousie) 1
Era (Bridgeland) 1
West 17 (Kilarney) 1
Sunalta Heights (Sunalta)1
Arris 5th and third (East Village) 1
Wellings (Trinity) 2
Shawnessy Station 1
Bridgeland Continuing Care 1
Uxborough 2
Currie Green 1

Commercial:

Institutional:

Adolescent Mental Health Centre 1
Pine Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant: 1
Stoney Trail Bridge: 4
Bonnybrook Treatment plant:1

Total: 22

Really disappointed with the lack of proposals taking off in this low-interest-rate environment where Alberta's economy has completely turned around. Sure rising costs of materials and labor are present but so is record-high demand. My former construction company that works out from Calgary and Vancouver has had a record number of highrise towers startup in Vancouver during the pandemic while not a single new site bid has resulted in any real momentum in Calgary. I know housing starts are up but from the looks of it, it may mostly be new townhomes and detached homes. Don't know what the hold-up is.

I'm fine with that as well, then the only issue I see is whether we're making enough midrises. To match the number of units provided by a single 30 storey highrise, we'd have to build 4-5 midrises. I don't see that happening either. Just an overall disappointing number of midrises and highrises are being built in the inner city given the present macroeconomics and demographics. I expected a small boom. Plenty of proposals but very few have resulted in construction.

Current crane count is 22. If anyone sees a mistake in the list, let me know.

Residential
Deville (Quarry Park) 1
Place 10 (downtown) 1
15 Aspen Summit Drive SW (Aspen Woods) 1
The Dells (Dalhousie) 1
Era (Bridgeland) 1
West 17 (Kilarney) 1
Sunalta Heights (Sunalta)1
Arris 5th and third (East Village) 1
Wellings (Trinity) 2
Shawnessy Station 1
Bridgeland Continuing Care 1
Uxborough 2
Currie Green 1

Commercial:

Institutional:

Adolescent Mental Health Centre 1
Pine Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant: 1
Stoney Trail Bridge: 4
Bonnybrook Treatment plant:1

Total: 22
Place 10/Oliver doesn't have a crane currently and I think know there's only 3 at Stoney Trail bridge now. Which brings it down to 20. Yikes!

Last edited:
Place 10/Oliver doesn't have a crane currently and I think know there's only 3 at Stoney Trail bridge now. Which brings it down to 20. Yikes!
Updated!

Looks like there were duplicate entries. One for Oliver and one for Place 10, both are gone until the next one goes back up again.

We could end up dropping below 20 cranes. There's been a a bit of a decrease in highrise construction, but maybe not totally indicative by the crane count drop. The list had been pumped up by 12 cranes from 3 institutional projects. 7 of those cranes recently coming off the list have come from those projects. Also with the trend to 6 storey wood structures, it seems like most the low rise projects these days aren't using tower cranes (eg Trail 19, 19+2, Catalyst, Elva, Block on 4th).

I suspect going forward we'll hover around 20 cranes for a while with a few news ones coming soon. (The Hat 14th, Park Central, Oliver II and Nude) It'll be interesting to see where the count is at a couple of years from now.

Not an error but a question on the one in Aspen (15 Aspen Summit Drive SW). That one has been up for a very long time, and was wondering if this project is complete and the crane long gone?

Back