News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The Crate and Barrel stores I have seen with furniture are really really big. The old Caban store on Queen is not that big a store, in comparison.

(check out www.crateandbarrel.com/stores for the introduction pictures. While many of these stores are attached to larger malls, you get the idea that the Queen Street location would be pretty small)

Good point. It wouldn't be bad to have the Caban location, plus somewhere uptown, though. Say, 1BE or somewhere like that. Such big plots aren't easy to come by.

This was in a retail industry newsletter about Crate & Barrel:

Crate & Barrel to Open Toronto Store in 2008

MARCH 15, 2007 -- Crate & Barrel, Northbrook, Ill., plans to enter the Canadian market with a new store in Toronto slated to open in the spring or summer of 2008, according to Hfnmag.com. A spokeswoman for the company also said Crate & Barrel was studying the European market as part of its longer-term expansion strategy, but added that there were no definite plans to announce yet. Crate & Barrel's majority shareholder, Otto Group, reported on its Web site that the retailer also is considering Japanese locations.

My spies in their PR agency tell me they are also going to Sherway, and are looking for a downtown location. I suggested they kick that fake-o Up Country out of the old Up Country Space on King, because that would be most convenient for me.

Woo - hoo! Winners in the hood!

Rumours confirmed finally.

Crate and Barrel coming to Yorkdale
(link to article)

Apr 03, 2007 01:06 PM
Dana Flavelle
business reporter
Crate and Barrel, a leading U.S. home furnishings and kitchenware retailer, is finally coming to Canada.
Nearly four years after the Chicago-based company began testing Canada's waters through its web site, Crate and Barrel will open its first store in Yorkdale Shopping Centre in the fall of 2008.,

The two-storey, 35,000 square-foot store will be located at the north end of the mall, facing Highway 401, Toronto's largest shopping mall said today.

“It will feature the full range of unique products available at U.S. locations, along with the customer service, sense of design and value for which the chain is known,†the mall said in a statement.

The retailer competes with department stores, small specialty furniture and decor retailers and Ikea, industry experts said.

"They’re the best home retailer in the world,†says retail consultant John Williams, of the J.C. Williams Group Ltd. in Toronto. “Their taste level. The price points. The stores are a treat. You can’t go in without buying something.â€

Crate and Barrel, which was started by a husband and wife team, is now majority owned by German mail order giant Otto Group.

Aw man - not till 08? I'm going to have to do a huge stock up in Chicago in June.

It's nice to hear that it will be the large-scale store!

Re: Crate & Barrel

Great news! I wonder where there's room for a Crate & Barrel...

Seven Denver Gap stores closed simultaneously in '05 for three months to renovate, that's almost all their stores! I believe this was to usher in a new format of store.
www.keepmedia.com/pubs/PR...xtID=10051

Re: Crate & Barrel

slightly expanded article from the Star:

Yorkdale attracts top U.S. retailer
TheStar.com - Business - Yorkdale attracts top U.S. retailer

Toronto first stop in Crate and Barrel expansion drive

April 04, 2007
Dana Flavelle
business reporter

Crate and Barrel, a leading U.S-based home furnishings and housewares retailer, is opening the first of a chain of stores in Canada.

The Chicago-based retailer confirmed yesterday it is opening its first store outside the U.S. in Toronto's Yorkdale Shopping Centre in the fall of 2008.

"It's the only one we have in Canada so far," said Crate and Barrel spokesperson Bette Kahn. "We hope to have more in Toronto and our expansion plans call for more stores in Canada. We feel Canada is a very sophisticated and interesting market and a natural choice for our first international expansion."

She was unable to provide details on the number of stores Crate and Barrel has planned for Canada, nor on future locations outside the Greater Toronto Area. But observers said Calgary and Vancouver are likely choices.

The company operates 145 stores in the U.S.

Crate and Barrel's arrival will raise the bar for competitors, including department stores, other specialty retailers, such as Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn, and to some extent Ikea, industry observers said.

"The whole sector has been growing so quickly in the last couple of years. The housing market is still growing strong. I think there's room. But I also think others will feel it," said retail consultant Wendy Evans, of the Toronto firm Evans and Co.

"They're very well run, very astute," Evans added.

"They're the best home retailer in the world," said retail consultant John Williams, of the J.C. Williams Group Ltd. in Toronto. "Their taste level. The price points. The stores are a treat. You can't go in without buying something."

From its glassware, priced at under $12 (U.S.) apiece, to its colour-co-ordinated furnishings, about two-thirds of the merchandise is designed exclusively for its stores, a Crate and Barrel spokesperson said.

Crate and Barrel "adds another dimension" to Yorkdale's existing offerings in the home furnishings segment, Yorkdale's general manager John Giddings said. "It's very much a niche market. They change their offerings, their colour schemes, so quickly. They let you see the complete package, from the cutlery to the dishes to the furniture. It all matches. They tie it all together."

Construction on the two-storey, 35,000-square-foot store is scheduled to begin in June, Giddings said.

"We're relocating a few tenants," Giddings said, citing Tip Top Tailors and Eddie Bauer as two of the stores affected.

Started by a husband and wife team, Crate and Barrel is now majority-owned by German mail order giant Otto Group. Founder Gordon Segal is still Crate and Barrel's chief executive officer. The Otto Group publishes the German equivalent of the Sears catalogue.

Yorkdale's Giddings said it took two years of negotiations to secure Crate and Barrel as a tenant.

He said the retailer was attracted by Yorkdale's "brand" and its very high productivity level. The mall sells $1,000 (Canadian) worth of merchandise per square foot, the highest for any mall in Canada, and is synonymous with fashion and quality, he said.

Re: Brack Electronics

I'm surprised Square One doesn't have any of those specialty retailers like Williams-Sonoma or Pottery Barn or Crate & Barrel. It's unfortunate the lower level is so dilapidated or they could put some new retailers down there.

Looks like the store at Yorkdale will be opening in the next few days; September 25th according to their website. I like the job they did with the outside facade, looks like it will be at least 2 floors, which means there's an opportunity for furniture too. Would have liked a CB2.

Does anyone know if they will have a pre-launch opening?

2867384863_5b129574db_o.jpg

That Crate and Barrel is seriously haunted.

Looks like the store at Yorkdale will be opening in the next few days; September 25th according to their website. I like the job they did with the outside facade, looks like it will be at least 2 floors, which means there's an opportunity for furniture too. Would have liked a CB2.

Does anyone know if they will have a pre-launch opening?

2867384863_5b129574db_o.jpg

There's a private shopping event for Ronald McDonald House on the 24th.

Back