News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Definitely a needed missing link, especially in that particular spot there is a ton of cross traffic coming from the mall, I would not feel safe biking on that stretch of road.

Also, I didn't even realize that most of 178st had an MUP, it's not shown on Google maps!

View attachment 595222

I have tried to contact Google in the past to update this in another location, they don't seem to respond. I wonder if the city would have some more sway with them?

Maybe you should reply to that email and let them know!
Interesting. Yeah, I wonder how that gets updated. 95ave has also shown bike lanes for years even though it’s been like 7 years since they removed the painted gutters. I’ve had multiple friends end up on 95ave by accident and be terrified.

With the LRT and 95ave completing in a few years, I’d imagine this stretch of 178st becomes VERY well used in 5 years.

Definitely a needed missing link, especially in that particular spot there is a ton of cross traffic coming from the mall, I would not feel safe biking on that stretch of road.

Also, I didn't even realize that most of 178st had an MUP, it's not shown on Google maps!

View attachment 595222

I have tried to contact Google in the past to update this in another location, they don't seem to respond. I wonder if the city would have some more sway with them?

Maybe you should reply to that email and let them know!
As I've began using the active transportation network a lot more since getting an ebike, I've realized that Google is definitely not the best resource for biking. Good overview, but missing a lot. I tend to confirm everything on the City's online map instead - https://gis.edmonton.ca/portal/apps...scoverYEG&id=c1c2fda1accf48788329dd97af32023d

I noticed that about Google. I'll use it to generally suggest the fastest route but then add modifications to route it on cycle-friendlier roads and SUPs.

Even then, for example it won't route me to cross 118 Ave at the Coliseum Transit Centre, but I wonder if it was because the pedestrian crossing signal timing was terrible. I sent a 311 request commenting that it was up to a 2-3 minute wait sometimes to cross 118 Ave once the button was pushed and that's since been reduce to 30 second on average, so that might eventually improve the routing algorithm? 311 works sometimes!

I agree it is better to use other apps and sources to plan routes, but I think having the bike network properly mapped on Google would be a huge help in getting more people to use it.

I will email the city's active transportation mailbox and see if they can do anything to get it updated.

Back