News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

40 St is complete and they’re now working on Hermitage Road eastbound. Turned out better than I imagined. Instant protected bike lanes. A couple of pickup truck owners seemed to be annoyed by the presence of these encumbrances.
IMG_7560.jpeg

40 St is complete and they’re now working on Hermitage Road eastbound. Turned out better than I imagined. Instant protected bike lanes. A couple of pickup truck owners seemed to be annoyed by the presence of these encumbrances.
View attachment 585155
I’m interested on how this will all feel in the end in terms of value. Currently we’re on target for 1mil per km.

This is awesome. AND, this is still a non permanent, cracked asphalt, pretty unsightly bike lane. Nothing to feel much pride in. Is it cheaper to do this and then make them permanent when renewals come up?

Or should we just “do it right” the first time?

I’m interested on the tradeoffs. Biggest risk being what we’ve seen elsewhere…. A turn in the political majority that leads to the removal of all this work in 3-6 years. If it can happen in Vancouver, we aren’t safe.

This is 104 Ave at 101 Street. I can't believe how wide and ugly this beast of a street is (104 Ave) to cross as a pedestrian, which I haven't done for a long while at 101st.

A guy with a bit of a mobility issue was already part way across when I started to cross and two vehicles turned left in front of him (impatient to wait) as he got to the halfway point. It took him almost the full amount of time before the signal turned to get across (and it wasn't a short light and he wasn't that slow) - and this is in summer conditions.

20240801_110205.jpg

Yep, from my experience it's a truly awful place to cross the street in pretty much any direction

Yep, from my experience it's a truly awful place to cross the street in pretty much any direction
104 Avenue diverges east of 102 Street, with the radical lane shift going one land south. There's a double left turn lane from 104 Ave East to 101 Street north.

This is 104 Ave at 101 Street. I can't believe how wide and ugly this beast of a street is (104 Ave) to cross as a pedestrian, which I haven't done for a long while at 101st.

A guy with a bit of a mobility issue was already part way across when I started to cross and two vehicles turned left in front of him (impatient to wait) as he got to the halfway point. It took him almost the full amount of time before the signal turned to get across (and it wasn't a short light and he wasn't that slow) - and this is in summer conditions.

View attachment 585279
Fortunately, it's due to get a little better with the pedway/streetscaping project that's underway.

Screenshot_20240802_065103_Samsung Notes.png

But I don't know if this part of the project is funded yet.

Here's the project map:

103AAve99Street-ProjectArea-AerialView-1600x1200.jpg

And here's what the website says about funding:

"This project is currently funded for the completion of construction for the pedway, 103A Avenue and 99 Street, north of Churchill Capital Line LRT Station, streetscapes and the transit loop."

Does that include or exclude this intersection?

I would read that to be funded for the portions that are in the dotted project boundary outline, though it is an odd way to say it.

If I remember, it's 103A avenue that's covered, but 99 St isn't. I could be wrong but they're still seeking funding for the 99 st portion

I’m interested on how this will all feel in the end in terms of value. Currently we’re on target for 1mil per km.

This is awesome. AND, this is still a non permanent, cracked asphalt, pretty unsightly bike lane. Nothing to feel much pride in. Is it cheaper to do this and then make them permanent when renewals come up?

Or should we just “do it right” the first time?

I’m interested on the tradeoffs. Biggest risk being what we’ve seen elsewhere…. A turn in the political majority that leads to the removal of all this work in 3-6 years. If it can happen in Vancouver, we aren’t safe.
From what I saw, they decided not to put the summer bicycle lanes back in on Stanley Park Dr (ala Victoria Park Rd) and then they also removed the Beach Ave lane to restore two way vehicular traffic (remember 100 Ave overlooking Victoria Park debacle?)

With 40 St and Hermitage Road, they didn't take away any road lanes. So I'm optimistic there'll be less pushback and it'll be here to stay until they make it permanent with a future neighbourhood renewal. And we have 3.5km of new protected bike infrastructure for less than a quarter million? And it will hopefully help slow down traffic which Hermitage Rd residents have been complaining about for years.

I visited Victoria the past few days and one change I saw around downtown was the growth in separated bike lanes. A lot of bike signals at many downtown intersections, but a lot of bikes too. A lot of traffic calming too.
I'd love to bike around Victoria one day.

104 Avenue diverges east of 102 Street, with the radical lane shift going one land south. There's a double left turn lane from 104 Ave East to 101 Street north.
I find it odd that in 2016, they decided a full lane jog through an intersection was a good idea.

With 40 St and Hermitage Road, they didn't take away any road lanes. So I'm optimistic there'll be less pushback and it'll be here to stay until they make it permanent with a future neighbourhood renewal. And we have 3.5km of new protected bike infrastructure for less than a quarter million? And it will hopefully help slow down traffic which Hermitage Rd residents have been complaining about for years.
Yeah. That was one of our many roads where we just had super-wide luxury lanes, wasn't it?

View attachment 585155
Honest question. How does snow shovelling/removal work with those barriers in place? Do they get removed in the winter?

Back