News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Note the sewer grate in the bicycle lane. Expect riders having to shift past the resulting potholes. Should be a raised bicycle lane WITH the sewer grates away from the bicycle lane on a sloping curb.
Bay-St-Raised-Path-Southerly-KK.jpg

From link.

The temporary portions of the cycling network expansion that council approved are also part of ActiveTO.
And I think it's safe to say, unless we see a large shift in council, that they'll be there for a long time until finally becoming permanent.

And I think it's safe to say, unless we see a large shift in council, that they'll be there for a long time until finally becoming permanent.

I'm more optimistic. Cllr Bradford is 100% behind a Danforth Bike Lane, he was willing to put a lot of political capital behind it, pre-Covid. He's also clearly in the Mayor's inner circle.

Saw this on CycleTO's Instagram but can't find more info on it.
Screenshot_20200611-184006.png

That post linked to a CoT news release that included this:

The cycling network is being expanded quickly through temporary installations by repurposing curb lanes along several key corridors. The first kilometre of new, safe temporary bikeway was installed last week along Dundas Street East, between Sackville Street and Broadview Avenue. The next locations that staff are immediately planning for are along University Avenue/Queen’s Park Crescent, between Adelaide Street West and Bloor Street West, on Bayview Avenue between River Street and Rosedale Valley Road, and on Bloor Street, between Avenue Road and Sherbourne Street.

I rode the Dundas bike lanes for the first time and they are glorious; it underscored how insane it is that, until now (and perhaps after these are ripped out) the only places to safely cross the Don have been the Bloor Viaduct (which itself should have concrete barriers rather than the plastic bollards) and the Lower Don Trail crossing (which I waited at for literally 6 minutes a couple weekends ago).

I rode the Dundas bike lanes for the first time and they are glorious; it underscored how insane it is that, until now (and perhaps after these are ripped out) the only places to safely cross the Don have been the Bloor Viaduct (which itself should have concrete barriers rather than the plastic bollards) and the Lower Don Trail crossing (which I waited at for literally 6 minutes a couple weekends ago).

There's also a third crossing through Riverdale just north of Gerrard that's pretty nice, however I rarely use it since there are a some stairs involved.

1591971682919.png

As a cyclist I’m loving the Dundas bike lanes. But as an automobile driver it‘s a total sh#tshow because the TTC is still using Dundas St. East from Munro St. to Broadview for staging or holding back its streetcars, blocking the entire newly single lane road. This means no cars can use Dundas between the DVP and Broadview, with cars making dangerous u-turns and other risky aggressive action. You can’t hold back streetcars on a major yet single lane thoroughfare where the streetcar takes the entirety of the road.

Didn’t anyone at the city tell the TTC that bike lanes were coming to Dundas and that holding streetcars between Munro St. and Broadview would need to stop?

Last edited:

Back