News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Something for consideration:

1g5q2eq1yyg51.png

This map serves as a great illustration that Toronto has a big problem with clustering huge amounts of employment in the downtown core, and should really focus on finding a way to attract more employment to the inner city centres.

Well actually I should correct myself, Toronto already has a program that could help out with this problem but the city is misusing it to attract more development into the downtown core.

It's a great map and needs to be shown in as many places as possible, it points out many flaws that this city faces (especially with attracting people to cycling).

TBH, centralized nodes will inevitably form due to the attractiveness of proximity (i.e. the banking sector, university-healthcare sector), but I think there's some merit in focusing development of alternate clusters at other transit junctions around the downtown core.

I strongly believe that there's lots of potential in getting the zone bounded by High Park, Bloor and Coxwell utilizing biking and local transit as their primary means of transportation. A bike commute from the edges of that zone to the CBD is around 30 minutes max- attractive if the right facilities and awareness is raised.

TBH, centralized nodes will inevitably form due to the attractiveness of proximity (i.e. the banking sector, university-healthcare sector), but I think there's some merit in focusing development of alternate clusters at other transit junctions around the downtown core.

I strongly believe that there's lots of potential in getting the zone bounded by High Park, Bloor and Coxwell utilizing biking and local transit as their primary means of transportation. A bike commute from the edges of that zone to the CBD is around 30 minutes max- attractive if the right facilities and awareness is raised.

Before amalgamation, Metropolitan Toronto had a decentralized plan for "downtowns" within Toronto, Etobicoke, North York, York, East York, and Scarborough. That slowly fell way with amalgamation. There still is some decentralization, but without "Mayors" (plural) leading them.

^ That's an area about the size of the inner city of Amsterdam (within the ring road) it should be quite doable to make that very cycling friendly. With e-bikes, longer commutes than this even become practical for average people. Population is going to keep rising, there is no more room for cars and transit can only do so much.

This map serves as a great illustration that Toronto has a big problem with clustering huge amounts of employment in the downtown core, and should really focus on finding a way to attract more employment to the inner city centres.
That plan largely failed under Metro, I'm not sure what would make it a success now. Not that there's anything wrong with more polynucleation per se.

That plan largely failed under Metro, I'm not sure what would make it a success now. Not that there's anything wrong with more polynucleation per se.

Points to Jason! First person this year I've seen use the word polynucleation in a sentence!

Actually, one of the problems with polynucleation is the 905 and how Union is the only Toronto terminus of varying GO lines. So if you locate an office in Scarborough Centre per se, nobody from Peel, Halton, parts of Toronto and parts of York will consider it as an employment location. You've got eastern Toronto and Durham region basically. Whereas *everyone* can get downtown via transit, at least relatively easily. It's even why Bloor-Yorkville is losing offices and has been for 20 years. Nobody wants the second commute up Line 1. Albeit, a Summerhill GO could conceivably turn that around somewhat.

Last edited:
Revamping and restructuring the Imagination, Manufacturing, Innovation and Technology (IMIT ) property-tax incentive program would certainly transform the game.

Reversing the program and applying it to the inner city centres would help spur growth in those nodes. The downtown core no longer needs this program to stimulate growth.

For those unfamiliar with it, here's a primer:

Actually, one of the problems with polynucleation is the 905 and how Union is the only Toronto terminus of varying GO lines. So if you locate an office in Scarborough Centre per se, nobody from Peel, Halton, parts of Toronto and parts of York will consider it as an employment location. You've got eastern Toronto and Durham region basically. Whereas *everyone* can get downtown via transit, at least relatively easily. It's even why Bloor-Yorkville is losing offices and has been for 20 years. Nobody wants the second commute up Line 1. Albeit, a Summerhill GO could conceivably turn that around somewhat.

I would argue, my somewhat long-shot idea (in the near term) of putting GO Rail into the 401 corridor would align perfectly with the centres. Intersecting Scarborough City Centre and Line 2; and North York Center and Lines 2 + 4.

Etobicoke City Centre is served by Line 2 (which could, and probably will go further west at some point); and Milton GO which could in turn feed a mid-town GO line at some point.

A N-S link is less likely (by transit) though using either of the 427 ROW or the Kipling Hydro Corridor could be contemplated.

Hypothetically, we could replace the SRT structure into Scarborough Centre with an elevated set of GO tracks, connecting SCC via GO to Union Station and Markham. That might help with that problem (plus provide a fast trip to downtown from Scarborough Centre)

Back