News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

While the new bike lanes on Dundas west of Broadview fill a crucial gap, the street is really poorly laid out for everyone, because of the streetcar tracks. Ideally, two through driving lanes, left turn lanes, and separated bike lanes would improve flow and reduce confusion, and that is the common layout for newer bike routes on formerly four-lane streets.

Unfortunately, the once-in-100 years opportunity to widen Dundas’ ROW through Regent Park to allow for proper bike lanes and a better road configuration — along with TTC track work to allow a left turn lane without obstructing streetcars – has been lost when the redevelopment happened without the wider ROW.
I live on this stretch of Dundas. Prior to the bike lanes being installed there was significant problem with speeding and running lights. Drivers treat Dundas between Parliament and Broadview like a DVP on-ramp. I've had three close calls as a pedestrian nearly getting hit in the crosswalks. Reducing Dundas to one automobile/streetcar lane either way has eliminated those problems. While improvements could still be made, I'm extremely happy that widening the ROW was never part of the equation.

The reason they haven’t in this case is that this is a temporary bike lane and as such the TTC bus must be able to reach the curb for pickup. The city told me that if the Dundas lanes become permanent that a bump out and barriers would be installed.

This is either them being ignorant or lying to you. The University bike lanes are also temporary but raised bus stops have been constructed.

This is either them being ignorant or lying to you. The University bike lanes are also temporary but raised bus stops have been constructed.
I think they are experimenting with various layouts on these new bike lanes, I think they are 'technically' temporary but some will undoubtedly be made permanent after examining usage data and fighting with the suburban councillors!

That was what I was told by Becky Katz, Manager, Cycling and Pedestrian Projects, Transportation Services. I’ve sent the latest pics of the Toronto van‘s bike lane incursion. I’ll post any reply I receive.

Councillor Bradford's latest newsletter has a couple of interesting tidbits.

With the proposed re-do of a section of O'Connor with new streetscape and improved pedestrian safety measures...........his office has apparently been taking guff for not including bike lanes.

Bradford is somewhat apologetic about that, noting he supports bike lanes on O'Connor but felt that other streets were bigger priorities in the near-term.

1626730931877.png

1626730860463.png

Then he goes on to note, he's pushing hard to get bike lanes on St. Clair Avenue East and on Victoria Park Avenue.

1626730997354.png

He drew his priority bike lanes on a map in red:

1626731043657.png

Interesting to note that he highlights VP north of St. Clair, but not south. Currently, at Dawes, VP goes down to 1 lane each way and could not support cycle tracks w/o cutting down the trees in the boulevard, so this makes some sense.

Councillor Bradford's latest newsletter has a couple of interesting tidbits.

With the proposed re-do of a section of O'Connor with new streetscape and improved pedestrian safety measures...........his office has apparently been taking guff for not including bike lanes.

Bradford is somewhat apologetic about that, noting he supports bike lanes on O'Connor but felt that other streets were bigger priorities in the near-term.

View attachment 336102
View attachment 336101

Then he goes on to note, he's pushing hard to get bike lanes on St. Clair Avenue East and on Victoria Park Avenue.

View attachment 336103

He drew his priority bike lanes on a map in red:

View attachment 336104

Interesting to note that he highlights VP north of St. Clair, but not south. Currently, at Dawes, VP goes down to 1 lane each way and could not support cycle tracks w/o cutting down the trees in the boulevard, so this makes some sense.
Did he use a paper napkin for his suggestion?

😄 o_O

Ms. Katz replied that she’s meeting with the TTC in mid August to discuss moving the TTC stop at Dundas at River so to allow a hardened separation.

That newly created median would make for a great opportunity for passive stormwater management and greening, which would also make the bike lane considerably more effective.

Great Idea! Love it! Lets talk Councillor Layton into championing it!

@ADRM

This is an example of a stormwater swale. Much higher water volumes than what we are talking on Brunswick; but what I like about that, is it shows what you can fit into a relatively small space:

View attachment 336954

Taken from: https://nacto.org/publication/urban...rastructure-configurations/stormwater-median/

Here's a boulevard example from Michigan that could be transposed to a median design:

View attachment 336955

Taken from: https://www.watershedcouncil.org/bioswale.html

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking, yes; great examples.

1627052979400.png

Link

1627053090340.png

Link

1627053139709.png

Link

More cycling activism, and a petition:

View attachment 337726

Petition here:

What's the speed limit in that section of Steeles Avenue. The roadway doesn't look like it's designed for 50 km/h.

Guess the auto-addicted powers-that-be didn't want to use the grassy boulevard, in case they want to add another traffic lane for the motor vehicles.

Last edited:

Back