News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Last edited:
That's 1.1 billion euros, not 11! About $1.5 billion CAD. Per capita, that's roughly equivalent to the City of Toronto spending $188 million. Toronto spends about $20 million annually on cycling infrastructure, comparatively.
In Europe, the decimal point is a comma ",", while the English speaking world use the period ".".

From link.

The short answer is, English-speaking countries (and China) tend to use a decimal point and separate thousands with commas. Most European countries, as well as countries that speak European languages, do it the other way round. However, there are exceptions, such as Mexican Spanish.

Some of them, especially French, use a space to separate thousands, but not necessarily millions (and of course you need to use non-breaking spaces to make sure the number doesn’t get split up at the end of a line).
1668542086423.png

In a report to the first meeting of the new Council Term of TEYCC, on the subject of extending the timeline for Construction Staging areas for 'The One'.......... we learn that the
City has two major capital projects planned in that vicinity in the time time range of 2025-2027.

First, the City intends to upgrade the Bloor Street Cycle Tracks to permanent and enhanced facilities from Avenue Road to Yonge.

Second, the City will be pursuing the next stage of the major overhaul of Yonge, from College to Davenport.

The latter may or may not involve cycling facilities (I think it probably will), but it will involve a road diet, removing 2 lanes of traffic for enhanced pedestrian/cycling/streetscape.

Do they not install interlock because of cost or is it more of a maintenance issue in ravines?

Do they not install interlock because of cost or is it more of a maintenance issue in ravines?

In this case, the trail is from the Cycling Unit, a division of Transportation, not Parks.

They don't use interlock on any Cycle Track or Path.

Want this for Avenue Road...

One thing I noticed in a very recent tour of some American cities in the Virginia’s and Carolina’s , was the proliferation of bike lanes in heavily urbanized areas, so mostly inner city neighborhoods (Almost every where else is a wasteland). And these bike lanes were in two types. The least successful is paint only, often in conjunction with on street parking, and invariably these lanes feature overlapping parked cars, service vehicles, construction materials, garbage cans etc. etc. The other model, and much more successful, is as detailed above in the photo, with conspicuous physical separation and paint featuring high frequency bollards or barriers. I am sure this is not news, but the GTA requires far less paint and far more physical separation.

And then ban any right turns at intersections on a red light.

Nor should they!
Indeed. At the risk of angering those who dislike references to NL, they used to use pavers for cycle paths, but the standard now is (dyed red) asphalt.

I think the polymer paint we use in NA is no replacement for dyed asphalt. I don't care what engineers say, my experience is that the paint is slippery, particularly when there is a bit of moisture buildup that freezes. I notice this frequently on crosswalks.

Dyed asphalt may be more expensive initially, but on dedicated cycle/car-excluded infra it lasts for decades, whereas paint needs to be reapplied every few years, especially from snow plows.

Indeed. At the risk of angering those who dislike references to NL, they used to use pavers for cycle paths, but the standard now is (dyed red) asphalt.

I think the polymer paint we use in NA is no replacement for dyed asphalt. I don't care what engineers say, my experience is that the paint is slippery, particularly when there is a bit of moisture buildup that freezes. I notice this frequently on crosswalks.

Dyed asphalt may be more expensive initially, but on dedicated cycle/car-excluded infra it lasts for decades, whereas paint needs to be reapplied every few years, especially from snow plows.
I’ve ridden in Europe. Those cobbles and interlocks are no fun.

And you are right. Paint can be very slippery, especially when wet.

Back