News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I have a question. I've noticed that alot of new cycle plans have a bi-directional on one side and a one way cycle track on the other. Why is that. Would one wide bi-directional cycle track be more than enough?

I have a question. I've noticed that alot of new cycle plans have a bi-directional on one side and a one way cycle track on the other. Why is that. Would one wide bi-directional cycle track be more than enough?
I think for more convinient connections. In the Scarborough golf club example in my previous post, allows students direct access to school versus crosses of the street further down.

Hafeez's comment on the tweet suggests also that this may be just illustration example.

Last edited:

To add to @Coolibop 's post; if you look at the Millwood/Donlands/Pape configuration its designed to support the ability of northbound cyclists not to have to cross the intersection at Pape/Donlands to continue north. If you placed the path only on the one side of the bridge, you would compel cyclists from the other side to cross over to reach it.

The City would have preferred in an ideal world to do bi-directional on both sides on this bridge, but it had to balance TTC and Traffic needs and this was deemed the best compromise.

For doing war against the car...

Personally, I think helmet shaming is counterproductive. Making it a point of virtue signaling to wear a helmet leads to fewer people riding, less pressure for better infrastructure, and generally worse bike safety.

Countries where cycling is a way of life don't have widespread helmet use.

Personally, I think helmet shaming is counterproductive. Making it a point of virtue signaling to wear a helmet leads to fewer people riding, less pressure for better infrastructure, and generally worse bike safety.

Countries where cycling is a way of life don't have widespread helmet use.
Must say I have never seen any helmet shaming. Personally, I almost always wear a helmet if on my own bike and almost never when on a Bixi. Rational? No, but...

Wonder how many cyclists wear helmets as the "speed" over the suggested speed limit in High Park?

I wear a helmet because a number of people I know have fallen and bumped their head … or rather their helmet instead of their head. I know it’s not going to save me if a car hits me, but in the event of a fall (I’ve had a few), it can offer some protection and since I only have one head and one brain, I’ll do what I can to keep it concussion free. YMMV.

I usually wear a helmet too. But I will fight the instinct to make it socially mandatory (much less legally so) to wear a helmet. I look forward to the day when our infra is sufficient that a helmet is not required.

I wear a helmet if I use my own bike as well. But I'm not going to carry a helmet just in case I want to use a bixi later in the day. And I'm not going to decline to use bixi because I don't have a helmet with me.

The Infrastructure and Environment ctte is meeting this morning, and currently discussing the Cycling item.

I had a look-see through the myriad communications.......

3 Residents Associations (Rosedale, Summerhill and Vale of Avoca) and the Rosedale BIA are all opposing the Yonge St. Bikelane.

But more R.A.s are in favour, including the ABC association, Bloor East, Lytton Park and Brentwood Towers.

More peripheral to the area, but Leaside' s Association also wrote in favour, as did Harbord Village

Most interesting support comes from the "City Builder Coalition"

1675092354742.png

1675092382238.png

Last edited:
I wear a helmet because a number of people I know have fallen and bumped their head … or rather their helmet instead of their head. I know it’s not going to save me if a car hits me, but in the event of a fall (I’ve had a few), it can offer some protection and since I only have one head and one brain, I’ll do what I can to keep it concussion free. YMMV.
I'm in the same boat. I am especially skittish around bicycles now as I had two accidents where I fell over in 2019 and 2020, and some near misses in 2021 thanks to some badly behaved dogs and my dad borrowing my bike and failing to change the seat when he gave it back. No helmet, no bicycle ride.

I agree that making it mandatory however is ridiculous.

Back