News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

It seems like this issue could be solved easily by laying down yellow tactile strips in that "dark grey strip" area?
The bricks that separate sidewalk from cycle track on Sherbourne are very knobbly and can be detected by a cane. The ones on Eglinton, from the photo appear to be smooth.

The bricks that separate sidewalk from cycle track on Sherbourne are very knobbly and can be detected by a cane. The ones on Eglinton, from the photo appear to be smooth.

There's definitely some texturing. Its tough to tell how much from the video.

I extracted an image and zoomed it, but it was small the focus poor.

They are not (smooth); however a moot point according to David as texture is meaningless because sidewalks in Toronto are all over the place (I'm paraphrasing).
Source

1700616955865.png

Last edited:
They are not (smooth); however a moot point according to David as texture is meaningless because sidewalks in Toronto are all over the place (I'm paraphrasing).
Source

View attachment 522079

The problem with David's arguments is that:

a) They aren't supported by statistical evidence as to the danger; there's an existing cycle track using this design for several years with no known incidents (serious injury/death) due to cyclist/pedestrian collision.

b) To the extent that Toronto sidewalk design is inconsistent, and it is; it always will be, and most here at UT want more of that. Which is to say, many here, myself included, have advocated for shifting from use of concrete to use of interlock paving and/or granite finishes in many areas. That will create even less consistency over time. To some degree, this is unavoidable as the life cycle of sidewalks can be as much as 60 years. Designs simply won't remain entirely consistent across that range of time.

c) This design was tested with the accessibility community; just not David. David knows how to be on a stakeholder committee or to be consulted if he wants to be. He didn't make that choice here; bit late to complain now.

d) This design is imperfect and will not be replicated in the future wherever alternatives are feasible.

e) This specific streetscape is built and is not going to be rebuilt for David. Its possible that some further mitigation could be introduced...... (I'm musing in my head about what that might look like) but it probably wouldn't please David anyway.

The Overlea bridge was before the Design Review Panel today:

The segment on the bridge begins ~ 2:48

1700793691117.png

Comments were generally positive.

Some suggestion that some spot on the bridge on one or both sides where people can stop and enjoy the view.

Could some indigenous element be included.

In respect of the above, maybe it is represented on heritage plaque.

Low point for drainage should be between the cycle track and the vehicle lanes rather than the cycle track and the sidewalk.

Do the barriers trap people in unsafe situations?

Can the intersection w/Don Mills have a greater sense of place?

Will the suicide barrier look opaque or can it showcase the view and given a sense of transparency?

All the pragmatics are there, but could it be more elegant, more celebratory?

The vote was 10-1 in support.

But expression that the panel looks forward to a second review of the plan.

The City is proceeding with work to replace a watermain on University Avenue.

Work on Southbound University from College to Queen will go first, after which point the work will shift to the Northbound lanes. The whole project will run at least 2 years (through 2025, and might creep into '26

The relevance of this, to this thread, is that the Cycle tracks will get upgrades at the same time, including a new landscaped median/boulevard separating the cycle track from vehicle traffic.

No photo but Cycling have just added a low brick curb to separate the new bike path at the north side of Parliament Square Park and the park itself. (The Mill-Esplanade link). I must say those Bike Folk do a very good job in making their projects both bike friendly AND aesthetic!

As has likely been posted on this thread previously, the City is seeking public input for the proposed expansion of bikeways.

I've posted several positive comments on their interactive online map (so far all east of Vic Park though 😉).

Other than the troll who has multiple posts repeating that city employees should operate bikes with snow plows and salters, almost all of the comments in Scarborough are supportive.

The one comment that struck me the most was from a student at UTSC (my assumption). It was posted on the Rouge Hill GO Station:

"I absolutely LOVE how I can get from campus all the way here without needing to cross a road with car traffic. It makes for such a pleasant and safe ride. I wish more GO and TTC stations had direct connections to the bike network."

Well put.

As a long time Scarborough resident, I sometimes forget that UTSC has 13,000 students, many of whom may cycle.

As has likely been posted on this thread previously, the City is seeking public input for the proposed expansion of bikeways.

I've posted several positive comments on their interactive online map (so far all east of Vic Park though 😉).

Other than the troll who has multiple posts repeating that city employees should operate bikes with snow plows and salters, almost all of the comments in Scarborough are supportive.

The one comment that struck me the most was from a student at UTSC (my assumption). It was posted on the Rouge Hill GO Station:

"I absolutely LOVE how I can get from campus all the way here without needing to cross a road with car traffic. It makes for such a pleasant and safe ride. I wish more GO and TTC stations had direct connections to the bike network."

Well put.

As a long time Scarborough resident, I sometimes forget that UTSC has 13,000 students, many of whom may cycle.
I cant speak much for scarborough, but the Front street bike lane suddenly ends at yonge. Makes no sense, just keep it going eastward to the st lawrence market.

I cant speak much for scarborough, but the Front street bike lane suddenly ends at yonge. Makes no sense, just keep it going eastward to the st lawrence market.

Front is unlikely to be a near-term priority, that's Wellington.

I haven't spoken to staff on their thoughts on Front east of Yonge, but if I were to hazard a guess.....I expect they might so something like thi..........

a) Wellington and Front converge

b) Cycle Tracks already planned/existing for Wellington and Esplanade

c) If a lane is removed from Front in this section (as is likely) it will be prioritized for wider sidewalks (which are needed due to congestion)

The above is entirely my (somewhat informed) speculation and should be weighted accordingly.

Better round it up to 5¢ due to inflation and no more pennies.

More like 2 bucks at this point!

That all depends on where one credits the original expression as beginning.

Per Wikipedia, there's some debate as to whether it originates as late as the early 20thC; or as early as the Biblical Gospel of Mark.

If we measure from 1914 (which is the earliest common date for inflation calculators) , we get 2c = 52c in CAD

So rounded down.......someone would like to give their 2 quarters.

Last edited:

Back