News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Any more info on that?

A cut was made through the fence at the SW side of CAMH. There is also a directional sharrow on Sudbury directing cyclists to the cut-through. I use this every time I bike downtown, and I usually see a cyclist go through it when I walk by.

upload_2016-11-11_18-41-0.png

Before:
upload_2016-11-11_18-43-16.png

After:
upload_2016-11-11_18-44-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-11_18-41-0.png
    upload_2016-11-11_18-41-0.png
    442.6 KB · Views: 599
  • upload_2016-11-11_18-43-16.png
    upload_2016-11-11_18-43-16.png
    366 KB · Views: 647
  • upload_2016-11-11_18-43-56.png
    upload_2016-11-11_18-43-56.png
    856.3 KB · Views: 213
  • upload_2016-11-11_18-44-7.png
    upload_2016-11-11_18-44-7.png
    486.4 KB · Views: 614
A cut was made through the fence at the SW side of CAMH. There is also a directional sharrow on Sudbury directing cyclists to the cut-through. I use this every time I bike downtown, and I usually see a cyclist go through it when I walk by.
Excellent! I had no idea that was there, and cycled to friend's place just south of the CAMH fence many times. I did a Google Street View of the area just a few minutes ago, there might also be a lane that cuts through there, best I just cycle down and poke around. Short cuts like that to get you away from the maddening traffic crowd makes cycling so much more pleasant. It then allows you to cut up Sudbury to Duff and Queen, under the bridge west, and then up the side roads to Lansdowne eventually to the West Toronto Rail Trail at Sterling and Dundas.

Many thanks for that!

vDvHhedV_normal.jpg
Metcalf Foundation@metcalf_ca
5 mins ago
New city report on TO’s 1st fully-separated bike lanes finds # of cyclists tripled, collisions dropped 64%: http://www.insidetoronto.com/opinio...ed-bike-lanes-are-working/?platform=hootsuite

According to the report, once the Sherbourne Street lanes were fully separated between Bloor Street East and Lake Shore Boulevard as of 2015, the number of cyclists per day tripled to 3,500. And while many more bikes are using the lanes, the rate of collisions has actually reduced from 14 incidents for every 1,000 cyclists to five. Where plastic bollards were installed fully separating traffic, the level of "encroachment" by cars dropped to virtually none.
Article summates:
[If Toronto Council is serious about making cycling safer in this city, it should make it a priority to build more separated bike lanes. The evidence is there.]

The numbers are proving what we intuitively knew.

I like Sherbourne, not completely sure why, but the elevation is a huge plus in lieu of a concrete barrier. It's not that fast, like Adelaide or Richmond, but psychologically much more comfortable.

Article summates:
[If Toronto Council is serious about making cycling safer in this city, it should make it a priority to build more separated bike lanes. The evidence is there.]

I like Sherbourne, not completely sure why, but the elevation is a huge plus in lieu of a concrete barrier. It's not that fast, like Adelaide or Richmond, but psychologically much more comfortable.

Agreed -- I know the Sherbourne bike lanes fail some obvious design best practices, but I also prefer them to both Richmond/Adelaide and Bloor. The elevated curb seems much more effective at dissuading drivers from parking in them, they make it much more difficult for drivers to nose into the lanes, and there are many fewer gaps.

vDvHhedV_normal.jpg
Metcalf Foundation@metcalf_ca
5 mins ago
New city report on TO’s 1st fully-separated bike lanes finds # of cyclists tripled, collisions dropped 64%: http://www.insidetoronto.com/opinio...ed-bike-lanes-are-working/?platform=hootsuite

According to the report, once the Sherbourne Street lanes were fully separated between Bloor Street East and Lake Shore Boulevard as of 2015, the number of cyclists per day tripled to 3,500. And while many more bikes are using the lanes, the rate of collisions has actually reduced from 14 incidents for every 1,000 cyclists to five. Where plastic bollards were installed fully separating traffic, the level of "encroachment" by cars dropped to virtually none.

Wow. Huge increase. And a lot better than the Jarvis lanes with only 900 riders/day. Having the lanes on a less crazy street worked.
http://www.ibiketo.ca/blog/public-w...-jarvis-bike-lanes-total-8-km-bike-lanes-year

Was the base number (1200 riders) before bike lanes on Sherbourne? Or when there were bike lanes but they were not separated? And did they look at changes to parallel streets? The article is not very clear.

I also think the critical mass helps. By having enough bikes it makes nervous riders feel safer and autos are a lot more careful.

But no matter what really good news. Jarvis bike lanes had 900 riders in 2012 and in 4 years riders in the neighborhood jumped to 3500.

Article summates:

The suburban councillors should be demanding that segregated bicycle lanes be built on the wide suburban want-to-be-expressway arterial roads.

It says right in the report that the number of bike accidents on Sherbourne went up from 11 to 17 when the separated bike lanes were installed. Although the number of bike accidents per bicyclist went down the number of total bike accidents went up.

Of course the actual number went up ... ridership tripled. However, the PERCENTAGE went down. Before it was 14 accidents for every 1,000 cyclists, now it's 5 for every 1,000. So when there were only 1,000 cyclists, there were 14 accidents. Now that there are 3,000 cyclists, there were 15 accidents. That is a huge improvement. Your chances of being in an accident have decreased dramatically.

I think the total number of accidents is what matters. An increase of 6 accidents is a very undesirable outcome. People are ignoring the fact that bicycling is a dangerous activity. These separated bike lanes might be marginally safer than no bike lanes but they are still dangerous and if they result in an increase in the number of bicyclists that ends up cancelling out any small improvement in safety. Hence you get alarming statistics like the fact that the de Maisonneuve bike lane in Montreal has the 2nd highest number of bike accidents of any road in Montreal, or the large number of serious and fatal accidents on separated bike lanes in Ottawa in the last few months.

If we want to improve safety we should build more subway lines because serious and fatal accidents on subways are extremely rare (especially on newer lines with platform screen doors). I really don't understand why city council wants to encourage bicycling given how dangerous it is. I strongly suspect that walking is significantly safer than riding a bike in separated bike lanes for instance.

I think the total number of accidents is what matters. An increase of 6 accidents is a very undesirable outcome. People are ignoring the fact that bicycling is a dangerous activity. These separated bike lanes might be marginally safer than no bike lanes but they are still dangerous and if they result in an increase in the number of bicyclists that ends up cancelling out any small improvement in safety. Hence you get alarming statistics like the fact that the de Maisonneuve bike lane in Montreal has the 2nd highest number of bike accidents of any road in Montreal, or the large number of serious and fatal accidents on separated bike lanes in Ottawa in the last few months.

If we want to improve safety we should build more subway lines because serious and fatal accidents on subways are extremely rare (especially on newer lines with platform screen doors). I really don't understand why city council wants to encourage bicycling given how dangerous it is. I strongly suspect that walking is significantly safer than riding a bike in separated bike lanes for instance.

*Service reminder for this thread that andrewpmk is patently unreasonable and impervious to logic*

Let's not feed this troll.

The suburban councillors should be demanding that segregated bicycle lanes be built on the wide suburban want-to-be-expressway arterial roads.

We need to look at Waterloo as an example for suburban bike lanes. 20+ years ago they started putting bike lanes on arterial roads. But only when they had to reconstruct the road so it was a lot cheaper to do. It's not perfect but a lot better than what we have.

Of course they have wide enough roads so most of the time it did not impede drivers (but same can be said for the outer areas of Toronto).

Back