News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Not a fun experience taking the Bloor lanes to get back home. There wasn't that much bike traffic eastbound at night and a lot of pedestrians don't realize there's a bike lane there, so they'd stop in the bike lane to wait and cross the street. I nearly missed hitting 3 of them who randomly decided to stop in the middle of the lane. Hopefully they'll realize over time that there is a bike lane there.

There were some people parked correctly tonight, some right in the lanes (where the bike symbol, arrows and diamonds haven't been painted yet), and yes some stupid moves by pedestrians too, but these are still early days. From a midnight ride home:

DSC05252.jpg
DSC05253.jpg
DSC05256.jpg
DSC05262.jpg

They had been bolting the bollards in as late as 11 PM, but quit at that point: that was a bit noisy. The most complete section is between Spadina and Bathurst at this point. Details at some intersections are still lacking. It'll be interesting to see how much of the painting gets done overnight.

Attachments

• DSC05252.jpg
    DSC05252.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 666
  • DSC05253.jpg
    DSC05253.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC05256.jpg
    DSC05256.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 688
  • DSC05262.jpg
    DSC05262.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 671
There were some people parked correctly tonight, some right in the lanes (where the bike symbol, arrows and diamonds haven't been painted yet), and yes some stupid moves by pedestrians too, but these are still early days. From a midnight ride home:

In your first photo, is the white van properly parked? Is that cutout a vehicle parking spot? I've never seen such cutouts before in our city.

In your first photo, is the white van properly parked? Is that cutout a vehicle parking spot? I've never seen such cutouts before in our city.

Yes, it's a parking bay. There are quite a few of them, usually at least one per block I think. Very little chance of getting doored with these which is great.

I rode them end to end yesterday. Fantastic, even though they aren't yet complete. They definitely need to throw some green paint down at intersections. A few times cars would just block the entire bike lane because they pulled out way too far to turn from a side street. Could actually be a design issue, since these drivers are trying to look around the row of parked cars to get a view of traffic. Also clueless drivers, but I tend to believe we can at least mitigate that with better design.

Yes, it's a parking bay. There are quite a few of them, usually at least one per block I think. Very little chance of getting doored with these which is great.

That's only true of the driver side dooring potential, really. The further west you go, too, the more squeezed the lanes become.

How well are the Bloor lanes being used?
I walked near the bike lanes last night, and I was impressed bikes were already using them. Late evening, as I was working late, I saw a 10-bike in one stoplight cycle.

Given the time for a bike lane to ramp-up, it looked like a very good start so far. I hope they actively optimize it as time goes on; e.g. better indication through intersections (e.g. green paint)

Don't see or know about the parking signage, but are the automobiles allowed to park during rush hours? Can't see them using the parking laybys to drive on, just to park.

Don't see or know about the parking signage, but are the automobiles allowed to park during rush hours? Can't see them using the parking laybys to drive on, just to park.

The design is different across various sections of Bloor, but in most places, there's a very obvious distinction between parking areas and regular traffic lanes. They'd essentially be weaving in and out of traffic if they tried to use the parking areas as usable driving lanes.

Look at the 5m mark, especially at the 5m50s mark. We'll have to wait decades before this happens. Forcing motorists to YIELD to bicycles.

Back