News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

So how do they deal with aggressive drivers in Holland? Or are we just reinventing the problem because Canadian exceptionalism? (if we can't solve it, no one can)
They have aggressive drivers, too. However, their infrastructure is not as permissive to aggressive driving. Drive too fast or aggressively, and you're likely to hit a curb or bottom out on a speed hump at least if not hit a bollard or roundabout centre, etc. Our roads are designed for speeds 30 kph faster than the speed limit. It's a wonder that people don't speed more.

They have aggressive drivers, too. However, their infrastructure is not as permissive to aggressive driving. Drive too fast or aggressively, and you're likely to hit a curb or bottom out on a speed hump at least if not hit a bollard or roundabout centre, etc. Our roads are designed for speeds 30 kph faster than the speed limit. It's a wonder that people don't speed more.
I get that. My point is how those outcomes are achieved. Clearly, they can be achieved without the crazy stop sign/traffic light overuse we have here.

I get that. My point is how those outcomes are achieved. Clearly, they can be achieved without the crazy stop sign/traffic light overuse we have here.
Based on my observations in Europe especially in Germany where in residential neighbourhoods often give way signs are common:
  1. The driver/ car coming from the right has always the right of way.
  2. You can’t argue who is first at a crossing. The driver from the right as the right lol
  3. Drivers usually focus looking to their right when approaching an intersection. If clear you proceed, after you slowed down approaching the intersection.
  4. If there is no traffic sign, the same rule applies. So no overuse of signs needed.
  5. If you have a right of way sign, you need not to check to your right obviously. But only then. Most likely you are on a Main Street.

I am still applying this driving in Canada. lol Makes most sense for me. Can we be more German in that respect? lol

As per the points above, I think there is a strong notion, certainly one I endorse, that we ought to change our infrastructure, and then move away from excessive stopping-related regulation.

There's no real disagreement that our roads are not conducive to this change as they are; the argument is that they ought to be re-made accordingly.

As per the points above, I think there is a strong notion, certainly one I endorse, that we ought to change our infrastructure, and then move away from excessive stopping-related regulation.

There's no real disagreement that our roads are not conducive to this change as they are; the argument is that they ought to be re-made accordingly.
I am heartened that we are making progress in the right direction, and disappointed that the progress is so slow. In my area, channelized right turns are being removed, cycle tracks added, road diets are being implemented. It is progress, just slow and not always all the way to bright.

The City is slowly working eastwards towards Parliament with the switching of the Adelaide St bike lane from south to north side. The new lines (but as of last night, not yet barriers) are now on north side up to Jarvis and they have started erasing the old lines east of Jarvis. Movin' on. Of course, the section from York to Victoria is still a war zone but it IS progressing.

Random insight - I'm glad to see this thread has been trending in the recent months. Shows the increase in interest for bike lanes and cycling infrastructure. I just bought my first bike in ages as I was inspired. We need to catch up to Montreal now ;)

Even as someone who drives far more than he cycles, I follow this thread and am very much in favour of better biking infrastructure. Not just because I hate driving with cyclists around, but also because I hate cycling on major roads with just a painted line between us, or less (Mississauga cycling infrastructure is clearly not very advanced).

Tbh on a major road I’ll use the sidewalk as it’s much safer.

Most emergency vehicles slow down at intersections anyways to check for on-coming traffic before proceeding. Having a raising intersections doesn't need to be a mountain, but a slight rise, similar to potholes everyone meets during their drives.

Even as someone who drives far more than he cycles, I follow this thread and am very much in favour of better biking infrastructure. Not just because I hate driving with cyclists around, but also because I hate cycling on major roads with just a painted line between us, or less (Mississauga cycling infrastructure is clearly not very advanced).

Tbh on a major road I’ll use the sidewalk as it’s much safer.
To be honest, I think Mississauga is sold short. It seems to me that most major arterials now have MUPs with quite a few crossrides and bike signals being added. That's in addition to having pretty decent off-street bike infrastructure.

Most emergency vehicles slow down at intersections anyways to check for on-coming traffic before proceeding. Having a raising intersections doesn't need to be a mountain, but a slight rise, similar to potholes everyone meets during their drives.
I'm not sure what you're advocating. Raised intersections are not really appropriate for high traffic signalized intersections.

To be honest, I think Mississauga is sold short. It seems to me that most major arterials now have MUPs with quite a few crossrides and bike signals being added. That's in addition to having pretty decent off-street bike infrastructure.
There are some but they're sporadic and end randomly. e.g. Creditview has one partway from Britannia to Eglinton. Can't remember exactly where it ends but it's not the whole way to Eglinton. So you're forced to either use the road with no bike lane or the sidewalk. I choose the sidewalk thank you very much.

Mississauga Rd / Queen St has a bike lane but it doesn't feel very safe despite the low speed limit in Streetsville.

So Missisauga has a long way to go. Toronto has made a lot of progress versus what they had before, but it still doesn't rival Montreal. The first time I saw Montreal's cycling infrastructure years ago I was very impressed and to me that's close to a gold standard, fully separated and not mixed with pedestrians either.

The new multi use path along Unwin from Cherry Street to the sports fields

PXL_20230806_210954019.jpg

PXL_20230806_210902763.jpg

Can we imagine or hope for something like this happening in Toronto? Like along Avenue Road, or (shocking) Yonge Street?

New York City is able to this because they didn't annex any further than its 1899 boundaries. Wouldn't have happened in NYC if it and current "suburbs" (tri-state area) were amalgamated into the city.

Back