News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

yes, as it has always been the bus lanes will be removed.
buslanesign.jpg
I hope I did theupload image thing correctly.

The dedicated bus lane to which you refer is more than just a bus lane as this sign indicates.

Attachments

• buslanesign.jpg
    buslanesign.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 510
I am aware, however it isn't needed off peak when it is general purpose and if you have any experience with the lanes (I go by the ones on Yonge street all the time) you will realize that nobody really uses them other than the buses. For general cars, its generally easier to simply use the regular lanes as the buses are constantly stopping. The lanes only really help buses as there are no queues at intersections. the fact that you need 3 people in a car to use it means that there are almost no cars capable of use. The only vehicles I ever see using the lanes are buses, school Buses, and cars about to make a right turn. it is in effect, a bus lane. the one or two cars that use them otherwise are so few in number that they will have a very, very minimal impact on traffic..

Last edited:
The HOV lanes on Eglinton are always busy, lots of cars and trucks entering and exiting the hundreds of driveways or preparing to make right turns. All legal uses of the lane. All the bus stops are in bays, stopped buses don't hold up traffic.
Loss of the HOV lane will have a large impact on traffic here because all of this non bus traffic will have to use lanes they don't use now.

All the bus stops are in bays, stopped buses don't hold up traffic.
Are all the buses in bays? Or is spider making up whatever again? Having driven, cycled, walked, and used buses along Eglinton (mostly in the east) I don't recall them pulling over into bays, but I moved away from there a year ago, so I could be wrong. The transit stop that I first found on Google Maps (outside the Canadian Tire towards Birchmont) didn't appear to be a bay, but I'm not going to scroll all through Google Maps along Eglinton looking for bus shelters to see if my memory is correct or not.

(Checked a couple others near Brentcliffe/Laird where Eglinton narrows and don't see bus bays there either.)

Are all the buses in bays? Or is spider making up whatever again? Having driven, cycled, walked, and used buses along Eglinton (mostly in the east) I don't recall them pulling over into bays, but I moved away from there a year ago, so I could be wrong. The transit stop that I first found on Google Maps (outside the Canadian Tire towards Birchmont) didn't appear to be a bay, but I'm not going to scroll all through Google Maps along Eglinton looking for bus shelters to see if my memory is correct or not.

(Checked a couple others near Brentcliffe/Laird where Eglinton narrows and don't see bus bays there either.)

Yeah my impression is that most bus stops don't have bays, at least in central Eglinton.

The HOV lanes on Eglinton are always busy, lots of cars and trucks entering and exiting the hundreds of driveways or preparing to make right turns. All legal uses of the lane. All the bus stops are in bays, stopped buses don't hold up traffic.
Loss of the HOV lane will have a large impact on traffic here because all of this non bus traffic will have to use lanes they don't use now.

If you believe the only or primary goal of the street is to move as many cars as possible, then of course you won't support Eglinton Connects. In fact if that's the goal you would minimize the sidewalks to as small as possible (or nothing) to squeeze as many car lanes as possible on there.

On the other hand Eg Connects is about creating development along the street and creating a street that's pleasant to walk or bike on. As someone who lives near Eglinton, I think that it will improve the street & neighbourhood, and I care about making a good pedestrian environment, so I support it.

Yonge & Eg is already one of the highest (if not the highest) pedestrian intersections in the city:
http://spacing.ca/toronto/2011/06/0...oronto-with-the-top-25-walking-intersections/

Eglinton is not supposed to be a mini-401.

Many people run errands along Eglinton and not along the 401.

I'm surprised it's higher than Yonge & Bloor, or Yonge & Dundas.
This is because the counts were done at different times of the year so they're not really comparable. I'm suspecting Yonge/Dundas was done in the winter and Yonge/Eglinton was done in the summer.

The transit stop that I first found on Google Maps (outside the Canadian Tire towards Birchmont) didn't appear to be a bay, but I'm not going to scroll all through Google Maps along Eglinton looking for bus shelters to see if my memory is correct or not

ctc on eglinton.jpg

The stop is in the right turn/bus bay lane common in many metro roads, note that the east bound road is 5 lanes wide here, soon to be 3.

Attachments

• ctc on eglinton.jpg
    ctc on eglinton.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 372
Guess I was wrong about that one. It's a turning lane into the Canadian Tire as much as a bus bay, but it is an extra lane. Difficult to move around in Google Maps to get a good sense, which is why I gave up on the idea of scrolling along the whole street. Still I don't know how common these are along Eglinton. Certainly not dedicated bus bays, as far as I can recall. I will say that despite the automobile friendly infrastructure here, this area around the Walmart was always the worst for traffic congestion (westbound around Laird and around Bayview where the road narrows and traffic is coming off the DVP also see backups, but they rarely seemed as cluttered as this area).

Last edited:
I should probably check on G-maps, but I'm guessing the bus bays are more common in Scarborough where the road is much wider (and built later).

By the way, Eglinton near Yonge right now has been reduced to 3 lanes: on one side there are hydro trucks and other vehicles parked. On the other side there are concrete trucks and construction-related trucks.

Still I don't know how common these are along Eglinton. Certainly not dedicated bus bays, as far as I can recall. I will say that despite the automobile friendly infrastructure here,
They are very common. Most of the bus stops on this portion of Eglinton are at signalled intersections, not mid block.

Looked now on Google Satellite. Easier to see the layout there than on Streetview. Looks like design varies. So that for the blocks west of Kennedy, there are right turn, bus bay lanes at all the streets, including small residential ones. East of Kennedy*, including at the arterials like Midland, Brimley, Danforth, I'm not seeing right turn lanes or bus bays. Doesn't really matter, as I'm not really buying spider's assertion that the High Occupancy/ Bus Lanes are so full of other vehicles besides buses that if you remove them traffic will come to a stop.

*Yes, I realize that east of Kennedy isn't included in the LRT project, and therefore probably isn't scheduled for any of these street improvements. It was just the area I was most familiar with.

Street improvements, especially in the central section, are about making the street more usable for everyone, not just people in cars. The Jarvis improvements were intended to do the same. Then the debate became about bikes versus cars. And we know how that turned out.

Last edited:

Back