News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Rode it from end to end and back again yesterday. Currently, there are several patches where the asphalt inexplicably stops for a few metres only to start again. I assume this was done for some landscaping purpose that is yet to be installed. Proper barriers are missing on the Bloor and Dupont bridges, so if you lost your balance there you could end up falling to the road surface below. But it's certainly passable for the full length between Cariboo and Dundas.

In my assessment, it's a wonderful route that will make cycling a breeze for anyone lucky enough to make use of it. It's wide and (for now) nice and smooth. A great piece of cycling infrastructure. The route includes a good amount of public art, including:
- Big, metal signs with the first three letters of each cross street cut out (CAR, DUP, RUS, WAL, RAN, BLO, DUN).
- Metal cubes to prevent vehicles from driving on the path.
- Creative use of concrete sidewalks along the path in places.
- Peculiar metal pylons along the part of the path south of Bloor (which I assume are public art).

Now, please forgive me for being a little cynical, but I almost feel like this bike route is a little too nice and landscaped. There aren't that many places that I can think of in this city that have received this level of thought and attention to design. I want more bike trails to help me get around the city and I have a bit of a fear that this project has set the bar too high... bike trails don't have to be a big deal. You're just passing through, after all. They can be functional and still be appreciated by those who utilize them. But as long as future bike trail proposals don't get pushed aside because a "bike trails cost $X per kilometre" figure based upon this route enters the public consciousness, my fears will be unfounded.

I simply can't wait for it to be extended to Strachan.
`

Last edited:
I also traveled on this path yesterday and I felt my hardened cynicism about this city start to melt away. This is a tremendous asset to the city and it's what public infrastructure should aspire to. I only wish it was longer and actually marked on the 2009 Toronto cycling map.

sorry, just for clarification, at this point in construction it starts from cariboo and ends where?

- Big, metal signs with the first three letters of each cross street cut out (CAR, DUP, RUS, WAL, RAN, BLO, DUN).
Those sound like laundry detergents from the 1950s;-)

- Peculiar metal pylons along the part of the path south of Bloor (which I assume are public art).

Already being "tagged". Not sure how well those will age.

I have posted the photo's I shot on the July 22nd up on Youtube as there is too many for here.

The stairs at Dupont and Bloor St are not open to access the path, but can be done by the other streets. Only shot between both streets only.

IMG_july-22-09-0300.jpg

IMG_july-22-09-0303.jpg

IMG_july-22-09-0327.jpg

IMG_july-22-09-0326.jpg

First time I've seen the name written on the bridge. Otherwise, I love That 70s Orange. Reminds me of Lawrence West Station or that Maclennan ped bridge in Rosedale

If you look closely at the bloor bridge, you will see the LED light strip just above the wording. It looks pretty decent at night.

First time I've seen the name written on the bridge. Otherwise, I love That 70s Orange. Reminds me of Lawrence West Station or that Maclennan ped bridge in Rosedale

me too. that bridge looks funky!

I have posted the photo's I shot on the July 22nd up on Youtube as there is too many for here.

IMG_july-22-09-0327.jpg

Wow, I really love that paint job...such a simple facelift creates a huge difference. Too bad all the rail bridges around this fair city couldnt get their own treatments, bring back historical signage and paint, etc.

Last edited:
lol this is the first time the city has made something too nice.

Its a nice path, very high standard for Toronto.

By God, were so cynical in this city. :D

Development lands?

The railpath passes by some factory demolition: what's the story behind that place, and does anyone have information on what's planned for the site?

Back