News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It is far too many pages ago now, but I would appreciate it if someone could refresh my memory regarding why a Brimley Road alignment was rejected for the Scarborough Subway Extension. I recall that it was on one of the initial maps for potential alignments. Thanks!

Good question, but I don't know the definite answer. I think that option just felt through the cracks:
- Originally, they evaluated multiple routes (including Brimley) for the 3-stop subway. The McCowan option won because it had a station serving the Scarborough General Hospital.
- Once they downgraded the subway to 1-stop, the McCowan route lost its main advantage. But, nobody bothered to re-evaluate any of the previously rejected routes.
- By now, part of the design for McCowan tunnel has been completed. That's the reason for the reluctance to consider the Brimley option.

Good question, but I don't know the definite answer. I think that option just felt through the cracks:
- Originally, they evaluated multiple routes (including Brimley) for the 3-stop subway. The McCowan option won because it had a station serving the Scarborough General Hospital.
- Once they downgraded the subway to 1-stop, the McCowan route lost its main advantage. But, nobody bothered to re-evaluate any of the previously rejected routes.
- By now, part of the design for McCowan tunnel has been completed. That's the reason for the reluctance to consider the Brimley option.

The Mccowan alignment is also better because it affords the opportunity to have an infill station at Brimley-Eglinton.

So the land that the SRT is on in the Stoufville corridor could get used for more tracks for the Stouffville route.
Are they even building the second track and platforms with a third centre track in mind?

The Mccowan alignment is also better because it affords the opportunity to have an infill station at Brimley-Eglinton.
What about the Brimley stop on the Eglinton East LRT?

Let's see. Ford's "realistic plan" was to

- Bury the Eglinton LRT between Laird and Kennedy.
- Build a Finch West subway line
- Build a Downtown Relief Line
- Extend the Sheppard Subway to Sheppard-McCowan

3 subway lines and burying the Scarborough portion of the Eglinton LRT, 32km of underground subway/transit for $9 billion.

The Fords drew fantasy maps for election purposes, nothing more.
This is where I get off this train. There has never been and never will be any justification for burying the EC under a 6 lane Suburban Avenue, that is also mostly strip malls on one side. You could always make the argument for Elevated rail and I would but underground needs to be reserved for only the most extraneous of circumstances. I'm not even going to dignify the burial of the Finch Line; if putting the EC underground is stupid then putting the FW is a level or two beyond. Why would you even consider putting a line that isn't expected to break 2,500pph for decades (if ever) underground. Oh wait I know why, because the Fords put Cars on a pedestal and view transit users as mere plebeians.

Last edited:
This is where I get off this train. There has never been and never will be any justification for burying the EC under a 6 lane Suburban Avenue, that is also mostly strip malls on one side. You could always make the argument for Elevated rail and I would but underground needs to be reserved for only the most extraneous of circumstances. I'm not even going to dignify the burial of the Finch Line; if putting the EC underground is stupid then putting the FW is a level or two beyond. Why would you even consider putting a line that isn't expected to break 2,500pph for decades (if ever) underground. Oh wait I know why, because the Fords put Cars on a pedestal and view transit users as mere plebeians.

You're in luck - this train never left the station. ;)

I agree with you, but you're using sound logic based on what we understand about transit. Unfortuantely, the Fords have convinced their supporters that the only transit that matters is underground.

That's right, as long as they actually build the Brimley-Eglinton station.

What about the Brimley stop on the Eglinton East LRT?

The two aren't mutually exclusive. It is possible to have a subway station at Brimley, and surface light rail stop at Midland and at Eglinton/Danforth.

The distance between the Brimley and Danforth intersections is about 100 m, thus the subway station and the Eglinton/Danforth LRT stop will be fairly close and can be easily connected.

That's right, as long as they actually build the Brimley-Eglinton station.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. It is possible to have a subway station at Brimley, and surface light rail stop at Midland and at Eglinton/Danforth.

The distance between the Brimley and Danforth intersections is about 100 m, thus the subway station and the Eglinton/Danforth LRT stop will be fairly close and can be easily connected.
They could just have an exit on Brimley and a second exit on Danforth.

Sure. The main question was about the co-existence of a subway station and a light-rail stop in the Eglinton/Brimley area.
I actually think the person understood that both stations could co exist. I think what they were suggesting is that building a subway station there for 400 million where a 50 million dollar lrt stop exists might not make the most sense. Maybe that's not what they meant but it's what I read and question myself.

I actually think the person understood that both stations could co exist. I think what they were suggesting is that building a subway station there for 400 million where a 50 million dollar lrt stop exists might not make the most sense. Maybe that's not what they meant but it's what I read and question myself.

Only under the pretense that they'd build it in the most expensive manner possible would such a station with no bus terminal attached would cost anywhere near $400 million when the average cost to build non-terminii stations on Yonge North Extension were projected to be only around $65 million. Inflation hasn't gone up that much since that report and Eglinton East isn't the Yonge corridor.

A Brimley-Eglinton station should be measured in it's TOD potential and more importantly a way for far east Scarberians to hop aboard the subway 5 minutes sooner than what would occur otherwise.

^ Indeed, the Brimley station should not cost much. It would be a pretty basic station, and likely shallow, no need to go deep. It has good TOD potential, and will improve the connectivity as well; riders coming from the east of McCowan on the LRT and wishing to go north, will not have to go all the way to Kennedy and then backtrack.

For the people who feel that having both a subway station and a light rail stop at the same location is too much transit, I proposed to spread them out a bit. If the light rail stop is at the Eglinton/Danforth intersection, while the subway station is closer to Brimley, then together they will form a larger TOD-friendly area than a single station would form. And at the same time, the two stations can be connected by a short tunnel enabling an easy transfer.

Only under the pretense that they'd build it in the most expensive manner possible would such a station with no bus terminal attached would cost anywhere near $400 million when the average cost to build non-terminii stations on Yonge North Extension were projected to be only around $65 million. Inflation hasn't gone up that much since that report and Eglinton East isn't the Yonge corridor.

A Brimley-Eglinton station should be measured in it's TOD potential and more importantly a way for far east Scarberians to hop aboard the subway 5 minutes sooner than what would occur otherwise.

The average cost for the new stations is not $65 million. Only one station in that document is that low. The average is nearly $100 million for non-terminus stations and that doesn't include tunneling or other factors.

There is no way where adding an additional stop to this line is going to be anywhere near that cheap. The history of cost increases should make it clear that any additional stops are going to result in significant cost increases.

Could they reduce the cost by building it above ground? Sure. But there has been absolutely no indication from anyone that this line will be anything but an underground subway.

With an LRT stop nearby, a subway stop here makes no sense.

Some people really hate connectivity. Instead of letting the riders using the eastern EE LRT and the northern subway transfer at Brimley, they'd rather send the riders all the way to Kennedy and then expect them to backtrack.

The "average for non-terminus stations" is meaningless. Obviously, a station like Steeles with its massive bus terminal will cost more than a basic station with pedestrian access only. And yet, Steeles is a non-terminus station (the subway does not terminate there), which meaninglessly pushes up the average.

Even if the Brimley station does cost $100 million, it is certainly worth spending that amount to improve the transit access and connectivity.

It ironic that some people want to squeeze in a station at Willowdale, where the gap between the existing stations is only 2 km, and any TOD would face an uphill battle with the local nimbys. And yet, other people want to preclude the SSE station at Brimley, leaving a gap of 4 km between the stations (assuming Lawrence East is built) and forfeighting TOD in the location where it would face no local objections.

Last edited:

Back