News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

They have scheduled to fix the problem later in the spring once the TBM reaches south of Brimorton. They are working hard on getting the second set of headwalls in place to begin excavating. Hopefully it will begin running at full speed once fixed.
As a former TBM designer, I'm curious what the problem is..... (sorry, missed it if it has been written earlier).

Station design survey just out:

Around either of the 2 northern stations............this is a tough question, to me:

1705448587552.png

I mean Frank Faubert Woods for Scarborough Centre? I can't think of much architecture there I would want as a jumping off point.

The 'signature' heritage building of the area isn't particularly well known visually.

1705448745772.png

Side View:

1705448792932.png

For McCowan, maybe Toronto Yard? (The CP yard) ? Its too new to have any old school heritage, but the view of the yard when busy is certainly impressive, and it does define the area to a degree.

For Lawrence, you actually get some choice, I think..............The hospital with its round patient tower is certainly identified with the area (too bad its in terrible shape inside). You could go for Thompson Park. Or maybe the historical chuch, St. Andrew's:

1705449085712.png

Around either of the 2 northern stations............this is a tough question, to me:

View attachment 533629

I mean Frank Faubert Woods for Scarborough Centre? I can't think of much architecture there I would want as a jumping off point.

The 'signature' heritage building of the area isn't particularly well known visually.

View attachment 533630

Side View:

View attachment 533631

For McCowan, maybe Toronto Yard? (The CP yard) ? Its too new to have any old school heritage, but the view of the yard when busy is certainly impressive, and it does define the area to a degree.

For Lawrence, you actually get some choice, I think..............The hospital with its round patient tower is certainly identified with the area (too bad its in terrible shape inside). You could go for Thompson Park. Or maybe the historical chuch, St. Andrew's:

View attachment 533632
For Scarborough Centre Station the Civic Centre would be a great jumping off point to me. As someone who live near McCowan and Lawrence I can't really think of anything in the area that really inspires any sort of artistic feeling in me. Sure there is the hospital and the ravine but that's really it. Its all just single family home suburbia all around and anything really historic in Scarborough is around the older parts of the city on Kingston Road. If you want to get real creative their is that mural by Lawrence East Station that was a bit of a landmark for the area; I'm not sure how you could translate that into the new station at Lawrence however.

Last edited:
Submitted a couple: For Lawrence, although slightly west of the station area, is the Taste of Lawrence/Wexford festival.... Showcase the diverse cuisines and cultures of the neighbourhood. You could highlight the cultural mosaic of the area and its significance.

For Scarborough Centre, you could focus on the history of the former city of Scarborough and its civic centre. You could use images from the past, such as the old city hall and the Scarborough RT when it was new - A tribute to the old city of Scarborough and its legacy.

For Scarborough Centre Station the Civic Centre would be a great jumping off point to me. As someone who live near McCowan and Lawrence I can't really think of anything in the area that really inspires any sort of artistic feeling in me. Sure there is the hospital and the ravine but that's really it. Its all just single family home suburbia all around and anything really historic in Scarborough is around the older parts of the city on Kingston Road. If you want to get real creative their is that mural by Lawrence East Station that was a bit of a landmark for the area; I'm not sure how you could translate that into the new station at Lawrence however.

Growing up in Scarborough, the cylindrical tower of Scarborough General is iconic. It is a part of who you are growing up in that part of the city.

Everyone knows it, everyone knows someone who was either born there, died there or was healed there. That would be an worth highlighting.

I'm gonna work out how I phrase "maybe you should have public art, or at least use a decent architect rather than relying on engineering led design teams" without sounding too rude...

$68 million for busway, another year to complete plans and then construction begins in 2025. The City has no money, I don’t see this happening. The city also doesn’t have the $175 million do dismantle decommission existing RT infrastructure (2018 dollars). Province needs to step up or this isn’t getting done.

I'm curious if they estimated the potential savings from using the busway vs running the buses in mixed traffic.

If the buses run faster when they use the busway, then the same bus and the same driver make more trips during the same 8-hours shift.

And then you can have fewer buses and drivers serving the given route, and save on the operational costs. While the riders will not feel any reduction of service, because the bus frequency will not change.

I'm curious if they estimated the potential savings from using the busway vs running the buses in mixed traffic.
This effects the operations budget. They present it separately from the capital budget.

In the past it was estimated to save $3 million annually because of the shorter travel times.

This effects the operations budget. They present it separately from the capital budget.

In the past it was estimated to save $3 million annually because of the shorter travel times.

Less than I hoped for, but still, not insignificant.

Assuming the busway, once built, will be in operation for 8-10 years, and require little ongoing maintenance, it could offset 30% to 40% of the construction cost.

Busway won’t be ready for 3 years, So this isn’t going to happen. We need to look at opening up Subway asap. Extension doesn’t need to be finished 100%. Focus on building STC station and take your time completing Sheppard and Lawrence stations. Let’s learn from the crosstown mess.

Hopefully TBM picks up speed later in the year to get back on original schedule. Keep us updated on progress metrolinx

Back