News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The LRT stop spacing is actually closer to 400-500m, not 800m. This results in 3 mid block stops as opposed to 1 or 2 that is found on the subway. Still far better than the streetcar which has up to 9 mid block stops. That said, there are some places where the stops will be further apart, such as near the ends of the lines and underground along Eglinton.

I calculated that the surface portion of the Eglinton Crosstown has stop spacing of 677 meters. The subways on Bloor, Danforth, University and Yonge (south of Bloor) have spacing of about 600 - 700 meters and as close as 400 meters. Looking at Google maps, I'm roughly estimating that the spacing on Bloor is just over 650 meters. Not including Islinton - Kipling, Main Street - Kennedy in that estimation since the nature of those sections are dissimilar to the rest. The spacing on Yonge and University are even closer together. So the ECLRT is definitely in subway range in terms of stop distance. The other two LRT lines are still in planning stage, but I'm guessing that they'll be similar.

As for typos, are you using Swype? I know that it caused problems in some text fields which is why I use the basic Google Keyboard.

Yup. Think I'll switch to Google Keyboard when on UT (you can switch in the notifications area). I switched to Swype because its easier to use everywhere but here. Thanks for the tip :)

Last edited:
SHeppard LRT average 467 meters, and it is 1.2km from Consumers to Don Mills. (meaning that inflates the average)

That is almost exactly the same as the spacing on the YUS from Spadina to Bloor. Queens Park to College is even closer.

Anyways Metrolinx hasn't even released any tentative drawings for Sheppard or Finch yet. We have some old stuff from Transit City which the TTC drew, but Metrolinx has essentially started over. They've only been instructed to put an LRT and Sheppard and Finch. Like on Eglinton, the design of the line, including stop placement will be up to them. Considering that the spacing from the TC era was as little as 230 meters, I think it's fair to say that Metrolinx won't be including all stops. They'll probably do what they did at Eglinton and only have stations at concessions and major POIs. But we'll see. We know nothing about these lines and they may put stops every 50 meters for all we know.

Last edited:
1297462771239_ORIGINAL.jpg

This map supplied by the Province includes no stop at Lawrence.

scarborough-subway-plan-global-news-murray-announcement.jpg

This one does.

I've seen some in the media call this a one stop extension, and others two. Murray is now saying that the amount of stations is flexible. Does the Province even know what they're doing with this line? It seems like they're just making it up as they go along.

Also it's amusing to see how this proposal misses all the highest density areas and priority neighbourhoods. But it's a subway in Scarborough and (apparently) that's all that matters. ;)

People said the previously proposed subway misses high density and priority neighbourhoods. And now that they've changed the route to the S(L)RT route it STILL misses the high density and priority neighbourhoods? WTH?

Honestly the supporters of LRT will say absolutely anything, regardless of whether it makes sense.

LRT acting like a subway? Um, in what way? LRTs are streetcars. End of story. Especially the way they're being designed for Transit City (except for Eglinton). Just call them streetcars, since that's what they are. LRT is a meaningless term anyway.

You know that they are not just streetcars, especially on this route, it doesn't even run on any streets, or has the mayor gotten to you?

LRT acting like a subway? Um, in what way? LRTs are streetcars. End of story. Especially the way they're being designed for Transit City (except for Eglinton). Just call them streetcars, since that's what they are. LRT is a meaningless term anyway.

WTF are you talking about? You know very well that the SRT LRT line was going to be completely grade separated just as this new subway proposal is. It is completely different then our traditional streetcars. You say that LRT people will say anything even if it doesn't make sense but you know very well that this line was going to be different then a streetcar no matter what. In fact your comment sounds exactly like a few months ago when Rob Ford kept on talking about how this new line was going to have to stop at lights and stuff but then refused to answer if that was true or not and eventually said something to the effect of it is impossible to know the details of every project. I know you have been on this site for a long time. I know you are are pro subway, which is fine. But don't say ridiculous things that aren't true. Id like to think that even if the general public doesnt understand all the transit technology, at least people who regularly post on here know quite a bit more. Subways won, no need to pour salt on the wounds of LRT advocates who are now worried about the rest of the network.

People said the previously proposed subway misses high density and priority neighbourhoods. And now that they've changed the route to the S(L)RT route it STILL misses the high density and priority neighbourhoods? WTH?

Honestly the supporters of LRT will say absolutely anything, regardless of whether it makes sense.

So the LRT that was planned to replace the Scarborough RT was a streetcar? Are you Rob Ford?

A streetcar in its own ROW is still a streetcar. You can give it a fanciful name like LRT, but the tech is the same.

If anything, I think the mayor has gotten to y'all if you think the term 'streetcar' is so dirty.

A streetcar in its own ROW is still a streetcar. You can give it a fanciful name like LRT, but the tech is the same.

If anything, I think the mayor has gotten to y'all if you think the term 'streetcar' is so dirty.

Streetcars = LRT = Subways. They are all exactly the same technology. And the operational differences between LRT, subways and streetcars are incredibly vaguely defined at best. I've seen everything from mixed traffic light rail vehicles, to systems running subway cars similar to our own in a dedicated corridor called LRT. None of this matters though. The only thing that is important is the implementation. A "subway" that moves at 10kph and has stops every 200 meters is no better than an "LRT" with stops every 700 meters.

Did you see the map? One of them proposed by the Murray has zero stops in any of the priority neighbourhoods, even though it runs through them. It's essentially a shuttle from Kennedy to Scarb Town Centre.

The second map includes just one stop in a priority neighbourhood.

Last edited:
You know that they are not just streetcars, especially on this route, it doesn't even run on any streets, or has the mayor gotten to you?

A streetcar must go slowly because of pedestrians crossing mid-block, or J walking at intersections that do not have a stop. A streetcar also must be weary about illegally turning cars at all intersections and emergency vehicles.

I am not sure, but I assume that since LRT are described as being so reliable, we are implementing crossing gates at all intersections (like at railway crossings) and also putting up a fence along the entire route to prevent pedestrians crossing. If LRT has to put up with illegal pedestrians and cars, it would almost identical to a streetcar.

A streetcar must go slowly because of pedestrians crossing mid-block, or J walking at intersections that do not have a stop. A streetcar also must be weary about illegally turning cars at all intersections and emergency vehicles.

I am not sure, but I assume that since LRT are described as being so reliable, we are implementing crossing gates at all intersections (like at railway crossings) and also putting up a fence along the entire route to prevent pedestrians crossing. If LRT has to put up with illegal pedestrians and cars, it would almost identical to a streetcar.

We don't know enough to say for sure. It depends on how Metrolinx decides to implement signal priority. In theory the LRVs could never have to stop at lights. They've done it in Seattle and they LRTs has proven to be very reliable. With headways of 3 - 5 minutes it could probably be done here if they engineer it correctly.

On the other hand they could use poor implementation (Los Angeles), where the vehicles are stopping at every cross street. I'm assuming this is not what they want to do. We likely won't know until the line opens. Nobody here on UT will know for sure unless they have access to traffic modelling.

The effect of J-walkers would be negligible. They typically don't sit on the rails waiting to be run over by vehicle 500 times their weight. I cant recall every being on a ROW where people on the rail caused delays.

Last edited:

Let me get this straight. Streetcars and LRT bad, because they would need crossing gates.

Heavy rail or subways good, because they do not need crossing gates.

Does that mean that these CTA Brown Line trains are "streetcars", according to your definition, and therefore "bad"?

cta2319b.jpg

kedzie3.jpg

2670189444_d456b6ecd7_z.jpg

They sure look like heavy rail Chicago subway trains to me.

Back