News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

That's the most plausible.

Instead of committing funds to Smarttrack East:
- redirect the funds to the Scarborough Subway to Sheppard East from Kennedy
-with a stop at Lawrence East...
-Paid by the Feds and Province
-without city money...

That would be the smartest way to manoeuver that file.

This puts the pressure on the province entirely while the city propose more transit within Scarborough...

Brilliant

I'm thinking it's a way to extend SmartTrack to STC instead. "If we're just going to be serving STC, we might as well do it with a branch off of SmartTrack, and let the Malvern LRT handle the local demand. It would save a boatload of cash and accomplish the same thing." It could even be pushed further into Scarborough along the SRT extension ROW.

I'm thinking it's a way to extend SmartTrack to STC instead. "If we're just going to be serving STC, we might as well do it with a branch off of SmartTrack, and let the Malvern LRT handle the local demand. It would save a boatload of cash and accomplish the same thing." It could even be pushed further into Scarborough along the SRT extension ROW.

Wouldn't digging Smarttrack under STC more expensive than subway?

Wouldn't digging Smarttrack under STC more expensive than subway?

You could use the ROW the SRT uses from the Stouffville corridor into STC. It would involve rebuilding the guideway, but that's still significantly less expensive than digging a subway. In the end, you'd still have an express train to Kennedy.

Anyone else feel like they're using the same playbook they just used with the Eglinton West SmartTrack spur to kill it? By that I mean propose a "modification" (or a price tag) that's so ridiculous that it justfies throwing the entire plan out in favour of something else? I kinda get that feeling. It's much harder to kill a semi-justifiable Scarborough Subway than it is to kill a completely unjustifiable one. They just made it an unjustifiable one.

Tory isnt suicidal. I think he's smarter than that. The Subway will be built, a stop will likely be added at Lawrence, The LRT will be built from Sheppard around UTSC and down Eglinton.

This was an exercise to get both idiotic plans & left/right militant Politicians to agree on some middle ground & move forward building a more comprehensive plan. If it's something more sinister that hints at cancelling the subway. Get your hamburger buns ready & welcome back the Ford family lol

You could use the ROW the SRT uses from the Stouffville corridor into STC. It would involve rebuilding the guideway, but that's still significantly less expensive than digging a subway. In the end, you'd still have an express train to Kennedy.

That means no rapid transit for the duration of construction...that's very unlikely to happen

That's the most plausible.

Instead of committing funds to Smarttrack East:
- redirect the funds to the Scarborough Subway to Sheppard East from Kennedy
-with a stop at Lawrence East...
-Paid by the Feds and Province
-without city money...

That would be the smartest way to manoeuver that file.

This puts the pressure on the province entirely while the city propose more transit within Scarborough...

Brilliant

Exactly. And omit the ST / Stouffville RER stops at Lawrence, and possibly Ellesmere too. There's little reason for a med/long-haul commuter line to have such close stop spacing (2km) when it parallels a short/med-haul subway. Or revert Stouffville RER back to AD2W (which was the original GO / Metrolinx plan before the recent promise of RER came out). Even as AD2W its ridership and business case were nothing to write home about, so I don't see why SSE's benefits should be sacrificed for it.

Lol wat? $2.5 billion for a single stop. Ouch.

I do like the Scarborough-Malvern LRT being put back on the table. That shit was approved by the city and the province back 8 years ago. It's shovel ready.

Unfortunately not. All the EA's from Transit City have now expired. EA's will have to be re-evaluated and updated.

A station just cost around $100m. They'll have to dig an emergency exit without a station costing $10m. It's not a lot they can save.

Sheppard East might still get LRT but at a later date. We just have to wait till all the subway vs LRT shenanigans settle down and have a LRT line up and running. Once Eglinton finishes, Scarborians would get the real picture of LRT. Then they can either accept it or still with bendy buses.

Unfortunately not. All the EA's from Transit City have now expired. EA's will have to be re-evaluated and updated.
It'll take a year for companies to make their proposal as part of the "request for qualification", the current phase for the Finch West LRT. Even with the EA ready, it'll take till 2018 before they can get a shovel in.

What's your basis for that? 2 of those EAs are about to begin construction.

Modifying an EA is pretty straight forward. If no changes, a letter from the Minister would suffice even if they have expired.

Notice that the Sheppard E LRT is officially dead ("Rapid Transit - to be determined" along Sheppard E)
There's no indication of this.

This is going to have to get through council - and Tory will need every vote he can get.

If it doesn't discuss one Sheppard East LRT one way or another, he has more chance of picking up some votes, that would vote against it otherwise.

This simply doesn't speak to Sheppard East.

Tory isnt suicidal. I think he's smarter than that. The Subway will be built, a stop will likely be added at Lawrence, The LRT will be built from Sheppard around UTSC and down Eglinton.

This was an exercise to get both idiotic plans & left/right militant Politicians to agree on some middle ground & move forward building a more comprehensive plan. If it's something more sinister that hints at cancelling the subway. Get your hamburger buns ready & welcome back the Ford family lol

But a SmartTrack Spur would be even faster than a subway, and would be less expensive. Why spend billions more on a subway when you can accomplish the same goal in a better way, for less?

That means no rapid transit for the duration of construction...that's very unlikely to happen

That was the plan for the LRT too. Far from unique. Also, the plan could be phased whereby SmartTrack temporarily ends at Ellesmere, so that all buses that were bound for STC terminate at Ellesmere station instead. That way the guideway can be rebuilt and you aren't imposing that much of a burden on riders. It's an extra few minutes on the same bus. Once the guideway is rebuilt, the terminus can be moved to STC. They can then focus on extending it further into Scarborough.

But a SmartTrack Spur would be even faster than a subway, and would be less expensive. Why spend billions more on a subway when you can accomplish the same goal in a better way, for less?

The optics are part of the problem for residents & business. We build Subways out to 2 of York Region's centers which totals a third of Scarborough's population, We build Stubways for the rich people East of Yonge. But OH MY GOD if Scarborough gets a Subway to it's core that would attract business and connect to Toronto's main transit artery

If they convert the Sheppard stubway to LRT, & Build the entire SMLRT than I'd support this. Otherwise bring back a Ford & just build the subway to piss off these Lefties trying to build a second class suburb. At a minimum atleast this Subway exercise has forced these left wing a-hole Polticians to commit more money to the Scarborough & the LRT plan they tried to hack in a few years ago.

Looks like we may be getting somewhere. But not yet.

The optics are part of the problem for residents & business. We build Subways out to 2 of York Region's centers which totals a third of Scarborough's population, We build Stubways for the rich people East of Yonge. But OH MY GOD if Scarborough gets a Subway to it's core that would attract business and connect to Toronto's main transit artery

If they convert the Sheppard stubway to LRT, & Build the entire SMLRT than I'd support this. Otherwise bring back a Ford & just build the subway to piss off these Lefties trying to build a second class suburb. At a minimum atleast this Subway exercise has forced these left wing a-hole Polticians to commit more money to the Scarborough & the LRT plan they tried to hack in a few years ago.

Looks like we may be getting somewhere. But not yet.

Subway envy is not a suitable justification for spending an extra billion dollars on something. A SmartTrack spur would accomplish the exact same thing, and actually get people downtown faster than the subway ever could. And it would be about a billion dollars less expensive.

PS: York Region is only getting 1 subway, and they're paying for it north of Steeles.

A SmartTrack spur would accomplish the exact same thing, and actually get people downtown faster than the subway ever could. And it would be about a billion dollars less expensive.

Is a Smart Track / GO RER Spur to Scarborough Town Centre even possible? I don't see how an Isolated GO spur could be integrated into the network, it would be very odd. I'm not aware of any other GO Train Stubs like that.

Back