News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

No need to assume. Moderator ShonTron created this awesome interactive map showing where all the sidewalks are in this city.

That's quite interesting.

Looking at the map, I can see that:

a) There are very few streets, either in Scarborough or elsewhere in 416, with no sidewalks on either side. Such streets tend to concentrate in the presumably rich areas, where all the folks own cars and are too lazy to walk when they can drive.

b) The vast majority of streets have a sidewalk at least on one side, which is fine for residential streets and for the majority of pedestrians. That answers my question as of how they get to their buses.

c) Even if the one-side-only sidewalks do not fit the tastes of the modern urbanists, such built forms are not special to Scarborough. Their proportion in North York and Etobicoke is roughly same as in Scarborough.

Some of the pockets with a high proportion of one-side sidewalk and no sidwalk streets are located in the close proximity of the Yonge subway line (north of Lawrence and all the way to Steeles). To my knowledge, nobody is proposing to close Yonge subway because the said "pedestrian-unfriendly" pockets are the cause of low ridership counts :)

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...y-critics-need-to-stand-down-says-mpp-duguid/

Ill give Metroland slight credit for posting this article but wouldn't be shocked if this was just putting the golf ball on a tee for a re-butte article later this week..... It's one un-slanted article in a pile of thousands in this ongoing assault.

The MPP is basically telling THEM (the City's downtown Left media) to STFU and stop the ongoing divisive assault on Scarborough transit.

Its beyond time to build and the City to stop backward politicking and they should be only debating over b"est bang" of the following options and move forward with a sense of urgency:

1.The 3 stop underground McCowan Corridor
2.The 1 stop McCowan Corridor (likely just used to quiet the downtown Councillors temporarily. Only gave them fuel IMO) Lawrence will surely be added.
3.If possible the surface subway to Markham/Milner.

That's it. Lets move on please & fight for the DRL funding & other needs before we end up with another Polarizing election which will again get us nowhere.

This is nothing more than Political Bullying to a lower class. I really hoped Tory would keep thing on track but it seems next election is going to put us back into polarizing hell because the "haves" just refuse to back down and pay for some form of equity. I don't think this one stop subway will go far in an election & the industrial route LRT has had its day in the sun. Its a really sad situation for Scarborough residents.

You may not care about equality in the City but many people who would be affected by these poor LRT designs and absurd transfers (Sheppard) do care. There's a cost to equality & its time to pay.

God! Can we stop pretending that people who own sprawling single-family homes in Scarborough are the "lower class"? I'm really sick of hearing Scarberians who live in detached homes with two-car garages complain about how "not everyone is wealthy enough to live downtown". There are a lot of people renting tiny apartments in downtown Toronto who couldn't dream of affording a house in Scarborough.

I thought they passed the motion for Crossotown east extension to UFT Scarborough campus and then a surface subway from kennedy. The reason was that with surface subway money is saved to also add the Crosstown East extension. Why is there now talk of below surface subway again. I also remember Glenn De Baeremarker liking it.
This is puzzling to say the least.

I thought they passed the motion for Crossotown east extension to UFT Scarborough campus and then a surface subway from kennedy. The reason was that with surface subway money is saved to also add the Crosstown East extension. Why is there now talk of below surface subway again. I also remember Glenn De Baeremarker liking it.

The surface subway was agreed to be studied. But nothing has been approved. It was mostly a delay tactic by the Matlow as it had already been reviewed previously. Although I personally hope it can be built and extend similar to the SLRT roue or as far as the current funding will allow... But it all depends on what the limitations are and the cost impacts vs tunneling.

If you are only going to STC. The McCowan corridor is better for the Lawrence stop location which is surely to re-appear. But if it can be extended along the surface there is great benefit to having Centennial college and Markham/Milner stops

Last edited:
God! Can we stop pretending that people who own sprawling single-family homes in Scarborough are the "lower class"? I'm really sick of hearing Scarberians who live in detached homes with two-car garages complain about how "not everyone is wealthy enough to live downtown". There are a lot of people renting tiny apartments in downtown Toronto who couldn't dream of affording a house in Scarborough.

Dont let the true facts surrounding this City's income/transit inequality cloud your vision for building a divided City. Keep pretending though.

The proposed Scarborough subway stop(s) have nothing to do with people living in detached homes. You might be confused with these existing subway stops:
Castle Frank, Sumerhill, High Park, Glencairn, Rosedale, Chester, Old Mill, Bessarian, Leslie, Bayview..... etc

Now if you think Scarborough detached homes are a dream check out the price of detached in those low-rise areas. It's sad people actually believe these false narratives similar to the ones you mention

Attachments

• Suburbincome.jpg
    Suburbincome.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Honestly that sounds like a terrible idea. Pretty much worse than the standard LRT plan in every possible way (cost, noise, accessibility).

Is it that bad though?
  • Cost would be somewhere between in-median and underground (see: chart of 50yr capital/financing/op/rehab costs).
  • Noise...I don't really see much difference. At-grade it's no louder than a duck. Elevating would put this duck on a pedestal, but it'd still make the same quack (albeit over a larger area). Though I'd actually wager it could be quieter in the grand scheme of things. Where are our streetcars seemingly the loudest? When they're rumbling over intersections where trucks/buses/cars have crumpled the pavement and deteriorated rail isolation dampeners. There'd be no road vehicles running over tracks above/below grade.
  • Accessibility: No different than any station below the surface (i.e elevator+stairs).
What's the end result? Higher capacity, higher speed, more ridership. And I'm not even really talking about elevation specifically, but rather the spectrum of options between deep bore and in-median. Open trench is one option, as is cut-cover, as is a combination of all options. These vehicles can handle grades upwards of 8%, which again is a testament of light rail's flexibility. And Eglinton East is already pretty highway-like and suburban as it is.

If however we were to grade-separate the entire portion between Mt Dennis and Sheppard/Markham Rd that'd no doubt have us question whether we should even use the Flexity Freedom vehicle at all. Pre-Transit City plans had the SRT upgrade use newer and more modern light metro vehicles, with the conversion costing in the order of a few hundred Million and a closure of a few months. That saves us ~$1bn and 2.5yrs of SRT shutdown vs S(L)RT. Not only that but Crosstown speed and capacity would be increased even more than standard LRVs. Is this an ultimate solution? Maybe not, but I think McGuinty, Ford, and Metrolinx should've presented it as an option when they had the chance (which was something like ~1.5yrs).

transit-mode-per-km-cost.jpg

Attachments

• transit-mode-per-km-cost.jpg
    transit-mode-per-km-cost.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 520

The motion passed for the Scarborough Subway was to explore the option for a surface subway. It wasn't approval for the option.

There are currently sufficient funds for Crosstown East to be built, and for the SSE to be built underground to STC.

Scarborough MPP Brad Duguid makes it clear that the province intends to build the subway no matter what, says questions about the Scarborough subway are unwarranted. “Regardless of the constant assault on this project, it’s absolutely a solid project and absolutely needed. The critics, it’s time for them to take a rest.” He also called Scarborough Centre “one of the fastest growing city centres in Canada” (Lol).

Scarborough MPP Brad Duguid makes it clear that the province intends to build the subway no matter what, says questions about the Scarborough subway are unwarranted. “Regardless of the constant assault on this project, it’s absolutely a solid project and absolutely needed. The critics, it’s time for them to take a rest.” He also called Scarborough Centre “one of the fastest growing city centres in Canada” (Lol).

Huge lol. Wasn't the justification for the 1-stop stub jump-starting development there, cause it hasn't happened since the 90s?

Huge lol. Wasn't the justification for the 1-stop stub jump-starting development there, cause it hasn't happened since the 90s?

Hasn't happened because:

1. The RT isn't attractive to commuters whatsoever.
2. There has been lack of clarity surrounding the upgrade and developers have been waiting for clarity.

Once the subway is established it will do very well. Of course you can LOL any satellite center that is not downtown if you choose. But it will certainty do very well compared to any other satellite center in the GTA especially with a seamless connection to Toronto's main economic Center.

If we grow our City's suburban centers with efficient integration they will certainly be highly attractive options for development within the GTA

A whopping 0.19% of proposed development projects in Toronto are in Scarborough Centre. 3 of 1542.

OgkcxsK.png

A whopping 0.19% of proposed development projects in Toronto are in Scarborough Centre. 3 of 1542.

OgkcxsK.png

Which Centre has the transfer to a separate technology? Surely it's got to be a myth that development and quality transit go hand in hand around major Cities

Last edited:
Etobicoke Centre, which has a whopping 0.6% of all proposed development in Toronto.

Yes, investment capital will always flow towards Center. And is not the comparable for Scarborough Center. If we're comparing development in "satellite" Centre's there is one major difference that stands out as to why the area are lacking development (residential)

Back