News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It was, but Ford shut down the idea because he didn't see the difference between at grade and elevated. He was obsess with underground

I thought I recall Ford talking about elevated transit early in his Mayoralty campaign, but I could not find any info on it now when I do an internet search. I know Doug Ford talked about Monorail, so it does appear that the Fords do not have a major issue with elevated transit.

PS. I also found no internet information indicating the Ford somehow shot down the elevated option. There were a few news articles in late 2010, but there was no comment from any politician in support or against.

kEiThZ and Solid Snake

- why does sheppard have to go to STC. Why not extend sheppard as a subway to Dean Park? Make it a straight line. And Bring BD to past sheppard to Steeles. Sheppard Subway to the end of the city would serve more people. It would be a subway to subway transfer at sheppard east. Win-Win. And then build the Malvern LRT with those two subway lines.

Councillor Josh Matlow has written that he spoke with provincial officials who have stated that the cost difference will be higher than $1 Billion once all costs are factored in.

Moreover, what also concerns me is the unnecessary greater cost of putting the Scarborough RT underground. I have confirmed with provincial sources that the difference will be at least $1 billion (much more than the reported $500 million). This is even before all costs are factored in from:

Contract cancellations with Bombardier
Construction of new terminus for Eglinton Crosstown at Kennedy that was to be part of Scarborough RT
Sunk engineering costs
New design work
Cost efficiencies from using the same technology as on Sheppard and Eglinton
Significant changes to maintenance and storage facility on Conlins Rd. which has already finished RFP process
Possible new Environmental Assessment

http://joshmatlow.ca/ward-22/newsle...-matlows-community-update-for-may-1-2013.html

I am not surprised to see that the cost difference could be higher than has been stated since not all factors seem to have been considered.

Last edited:
I don't think some people understand the political ramifications involved. I'm only beginning to get it myself.

It all comes down to timing. And right now it all works out in Ford's and (shortly thereafter) Hudak's favour. They get to advertise that the Scarborough Councillors and Liberal MPPs disregarded their constituents best interests and are shutting down the SRT for half a decade while raising their taxes. Ford's opponents won't have much to counter with. There won't be anything in service by that point that they can point to. But their constituents will all have notices reminding them off the impending SRT shutdown.

For Ford, that anger in Scarborough might just save his bacon. For the provincial Liberals, suffering in rural Ontario and flagging in the suburbs, a PC beachhead in the 416 would be disastrous.

Metrolinx can say what it wants, but the government will wear this one. And if so, they'll do what guarantees their interests. Heck, they spent hundreds of millions moving power plants to save a handful of Oakville and Mississauga seats. Scarborough has many more seats. And for the $500 million they might spend to win over Scarborough residents, at least they'll have a subway to show for it. And whoever deliver those subways will be winning votes here for a while to come.

kEiThZ and Solid Snake

- why does sheppard have to go to STC. Why not extend sheppard as a subway to Dean Park? Make it a straight line. And Bring BD to past sheppard to Steeles. Sheppard Subway to the end of the city would serve more people. It would be a subway to subway transfer at sheppard east. Win-Win. And then build the Malvern LRT with those two subway lines.

1) Cost.
2) Ridership

Councillor Josh Matlow has written that he spoke with provincial officials who have stated that the cost difference will be higher than $1 Billion once all costs are factored in.

I am not surprised to see that the cost difference could be higher than has been stated since not all factors seem to have been considered.

Who to believe? Josh Matlow who doesn't support this at all or the TTC Chair who does?

Conditionally yes. Of course, he wants no taxes to pay for it.

It was in his election transit plan. Of course, it showed it along the SRT alignment, and that same plan had extra stations added to the Yonge and Sheppard lines (infill stations). I don't think Ford really read it though.

I don't think some people understand the political ramifications involved. I'm only beginning to get it myself.

It all comes down to timing. And right now it all works out in Ford's and (shortly thereafter) Hudak's favour. They get to advertise that the Scarborough Councillors and Liberal MPPs disregarded their constituents best interests and are shutting down the SRT for half a decade while raising their taxes. Ford's opponents won't have much to counter with. There won't be anything in service by that point that they can point to. But their constituents will all have notices reminding them off the impending SRT shutdown.

For Ford, that anger in Scarborough might just save his bacon. For the provincial Liberals, suffering in rural Ontario and flagging in the suburbs, a PC beachhead in the 416 would be disastrous.

Metrolinx can say what it wants, but the government will wear this one. And if so, they'll do what guarantees their interests. Heck, they spent hundreds of millions moving power plants to save a handful of Oakville and Mississauga seats. Scarborough has many more seats. And for the $500 million they might spend to win over Scarborough residents, at least they'll have a subway to show for it. And whoever deliver those subways will be winning votes here for a while to come.

I'm concerned about this. Something needs to be built in Scarbrough while the SRT is replaced. Preferably a BRT, even if it is temporary. It is unacceptable to leave Scarbrough stranded for four years. I personally won't mind paying a little extra on property taxes to ensure that an interm solution is built.

Who to believe? Josh Matlow who doesn't support this at all or the TTC Chair who does?

He did not state that, he claimed that officials from the province did, and it would not surprise me at all to see the cost increase since no where have I seen it indicated that the cost difference includes factors such as;

-The sunk costs of several years of planning and design work,
-the cost portion of the Conlins LRV yard that was covered in the SRT budget
-the cost portions of Kennedy station renovations that was in the SRT budget
-Costs to cancel a significant portion of the LRV order.

As well I am highly skeptical of the SRT being able to stay in operation until a subway opens, they have already had to reduce operating speeds.

I'm concerned about this. Something needs to be built in Scarbrough while the SRT is replaced. Preferably a BRT, even if it is temporary. It is unacceptable to leave Scarbrough stranded for four years. I personally won't mind paying a little extra on property taxes to ensure that an interm solution is built.

Logistically the easiest thing to do would be to take 2 of the lanes on a major N-S arterial (either McCowan, Brimley, or Midland) and turn them into peak period buses-only lanes. That way you can run a direct shuttle from STC to Kennedy, with stops only at Ellesmere and Lawrence. It would suck for the people on that street, but it would drastically improve bus flow in Scarborough into Kennedy while the SRT is shut down.

Many of the maps I see duplicate east-west coverage in North York and Scarborough due to the existence of the Sheppard subway and the current orientation of the SRT. Those maps have never made sense to me because it spreads out the ridership even more thinly and often don't provide good connections. It seems important to me to have subways end at hubs, and for routes to radiate from those end points so I created this map to simplify north Toronto.

Connectivity.png

Last edited:

Back