News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

History says otherwise,

History has a long tail. It's a different City now, different time, different Politics. Delays and games will happen but make no mistake the SSE will not be the only transit line built in Scarborough in the next 15 years.

What blows me away is that people think they are getting any subway.

I know with Olivia Chow ruining away with the Mayors seat last election and the Province on both sides not touching it, these people are crazy. Like seriously don't these idiots read the Star :cool: to know that everyone is suppose to be out with pitchforks fighting this line to Hell.

Dumb Scarberians should know better and just move to the suburban Centers of North York, Islington or Vaughan which deserved proper un Political connectivity to Torontos main transit infrastructure. Good thing for them some UT posters are always looking for the cheapest stand alone technology which can run on the award winning design of the ol' segregated, industrial RT route.

You stand correct these people are certainly far of touch with the reality of what's going on these days.

Last edited:
Let's just say $4 billion and call it a day...

mSSRi-71_normal.jpg
Jennifer Pagliaro@jpags
3 mins ago
So, these new budget docs appear to have quietly announced the cost of one-stop Scarborough subway extension has now increased to $3.4B.

View attachment 98126
Staff: $3.4B that appears in budget docs represents current cash flow of that $3.56B for 2017-2025 period. Say costs haven't gone up (yet)

Slowly backtracking :eek:. The SSE hunters will have to wait another day.

They are just carrying forward the total allocated funds of $3.56B. Absolutely nothing to see here until the report comes out. We did hire a 3rd party consultant to find savings for the route for a reason. I would be more surprised and disappointed after spending a lot of the extra time and money if we don't see some type of improvements to reduce the cost of an express line.

Last edited:
The margin of error for Tory to beat Doug Ford is slim. With SmartTrack fading giving Ford some ammo Tory likely loses or gains massive support in Scarborough based on this line being funded. There are few who oppose the extension from any location of the City, which is why I expect Tory to be all-in as an advocate. Unless he decides to step aside this line is pushing forward full steam.

It truly blows me away that some here believe that Scarborough is only getting a one stop subway and that's it? Believe it or not the odds of that are extremely slim. The only way the Eglinton extension doesn't get built is if the Sheppard subway gets fully funded. Which could very well be in play as the next big election issue decided in Scarborough

Also the Feds and Province both paid for the current design. And although this may hold little weight in the funding of the actual line. They both are fully aware its coming up fast
How? There is no funding for it. We are nowhere near the point of no return.

This line was really only proposed again so Tory could save support for the Scarborough Subway.

a) it's popular.
b) it's cheap
c) it includes eastern scarborough, which has been forgotten about in this debate.

Proposing to cancel the Malvern LRT is a perfect way for Doug to lose the election, and will allow the eastern Scarborough (rouge, highland park) councillors to remove support for the subway (s?). Better to make sure it gets built.

a) it's popular.
b) it's cheap
c) it includes eastern scarborough, which has been forgotten about in this debate.

Proposing to cancel the Malvern LRT is a perfect way for Doug to lose the election, and will allow the eastern Scarborough (rouge, highland park) councillors to remove support for the subway (s?). Better to make sure it gets built.
more like promise everything is going to get built. Once elected delay delay delay

If everything was going so smoothly then why is it taking forever to be reported back to council

Its very common in any report people and the media just don't pay this close of attention. Remember the consultant is paid to provide evidence to support a direction from Council and not the other way around. Until they are happy with the details and the numbers it gets sent back. That may sound crazy but its how it is and how its always been.

If everything was going so smoothly then why is it taking forever to be reported back to council

Maybe heads are rolling due to runaway cost escalations? I'm not even joking

Remember, this thing has a budget of $3.56 Billion. In the summer, it costed $3.2 Billiom, with detailed engineering adding potentially $1 Billion. On top of that, every month of delay added $70 Million to coats. They may very well find it challenging to keep this within allocated funds. The last thing the mayors office would want it for this to go back to vote to approve even more money for the project.

Maybe heads are rolling due to runaway cost escalations? I'm not even joking

Remember, this thing has a budget of $3.56 Billion. In the summer, it costed $3.2 Billiom, with detailed engineering adding potentially $1 Billion. On top of that, every month of delay added $70 Million to coats. They may very well find it challenging to keep this within allocated funds. The last thing the mayors office would want it for this to go back to vote to approve even more money for the project.

I wont rule it out completely , but the report was to find "alternatives". I assume it went back to examine some aspects in greater detail to find the numbers they are looking for.

When will this consultant report back?

Unknown. Likely spring

Don't worry we will find efficiencies so we can build without adding taxes

You are confusing Operation budgets with Capital. There is an appetite to build Public everywhere in the City. There is no unity for the Operations until more public transit is built in this City. That is why you are seeing this type of Politics of high Capital, Low Operational. Ya its odd, but people without quality public transit don't care, nor should they

I have always warned those that oppose the SSE to actually promote it and the Eglinton LRT line. The more unity this City has and more use for public transit the greater the pressure will be one day on a future Mayor. Until then its "first world" problem only in the City

I wont rule it out completely , but the report was to find "alternatives". I assume it went back to examine some aspects in greater detail to find the numbers they are looking for.

Unknown. Likely spring

Well I'll be looking for an analysis of cut/cover in addition to an analysis of building in the SRT corridor. I'm not satisfied at all that the TTC or planning staff have worked to control project costs.

Where are the stats to prove that there is a bigger appetite. QUOTE="OneCity, post: 1190271, member: 69891"]You are confusing Operation budgets with Capital. There is an appetite to build Public everywhere in the City. There is no unity for the Operations until more public transit is built in this City. That is why you are seeing this type of Politics of high Capital, Low Operational. Ya its odd, but people without quality public transit don't care, nor should they

I have always warned those that oppose the SSE to actually promote it and the Eglinton LRT line. The more unity this City has and more use for public transit the greater the pressure will be one day on a future Mayor. Until then its "first world" problem only in the City[/QUOTE]

Back