News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Most Malvern residents will have a better commute with the subway. That's why they highly support the subway extension(s) which some pundits don't seem to understand and have somewhat ignored. The majority would have to bus to the LRT then LRT to subway to get out of Scarborough. Very inconvenient in a 4 hour daily commute for many.

Really skeptical of that claim. Earlier this month, our Chief Planner mentioned that in the best case scenario, the SSE offers 5 minute trip time savings over the existing RT (this is presumably for trips to/from STC).

With that knowledge, I really find it hard to believe that, for Malvern residents, it would be faster for them to take a bus all the way to STC to then take the subway downtown, than it would be for them to use the LRT which would stop right in their neighbourhood.

Really skeptical of that claim. Earlier this month, our Chief Planner mentioned that in the best case scenario, the SSE offers 5 minute trip time savings over the existing RT (this is presumably for trips to/from STC).

Can anyone point to that calculation? Only 5 minutes seems extremely implausible. Any logical person who knows this city can tell that the LRT will be stuck waiting in red lights. That and the very frequent station spacing... I find it really hard to believe.

Can anyone point to that calculation? Only 5 minutes seems extremely implausible. Any logical person who knows this city can tell that the LRT will be stuck waiting in red lights. That and the very frequent station spacing... I find it really hard to believe.

headdesk-2560-99464c042a6555fe8aa749e6fabf3198@1x.jpg

With that knowledge, I really find it hard to believe that, for Malvern residents, it would be faster for them to take a bus all the way to STC to then take the subway downtown, than it would be for them to use the LRT which would stop right in their neighbourhood.

I never mentioned time savings as it would be negligible either way. The real issue is the extra transfer. Most residents would need a bus just to get to the LRT and it really does very little except inconvenience most residents here. Especially those with extensive commutes. Now If the line went to Malvern TC than more people could benefit from the LRT but it doesn't so aside from the optics of transit to Markham and Milner its not that highly lauded and many residents share a longer term view that starts with the overdue subway extension and local transit enhancements are much easier to add in the future.

And remember this is Malvern that clearly supports a subway, and Malvern is a focal point in the sales pitch promoted by SLRT fanatics. Sheppard West is pro subway. The only real LRT support In Scarborough is along Eglinton and Kingston. The support for the SLRT and Sheppard LRT just isn't here. And for good reasons that it really doesn't do that much, adds and extra transfer in odd locations both cases that meshes poorly into the current infrastructure. The subway would be much more effective for these reasons. Subway support is overwhelmingly obvious to almost every Politician outside of the media and the select few opposition on council.

The further they fight to implement the SLRT against such heavy support, the more expensive everything could get and far worse, and the more polarized the City Council will become. If it doesn't bring it to a complete standstill at some point. To me the election in Scarborough will be much about a Ford subway vs. whatever Tory has funded. The SLRT is done if people are really paying attention to voters in Scarborough. The Malvern bi-election should have indicted the writing on the wall, not the start of a new debate given the stage we're at.

I know I harp on the media, and some don't like that. But it really is a one sided assault, which doesn't reflect the views of most of Scarborough as they only highlight the low end of the SSE supporters, absurd voice, slogans, etc. to fit an narrative and attack. 19/20 councilors support the SSE. All MP's and Premier and Opposition Leader. Thats not to say you cant find many people who support the SLRT here. There are many, Scarborough is a large diverse place, but they are the minority and being used to help promote the outside preference. The debate should have long moved on to pressuring for subway savings and stops and questioning the impact of Smarttrack. This SLRT has some merit, so does the subway, Scarborough has chosen the subway and carrying on this debate can only fuel greater Political unrest which has been in dangerous territory for a decade and realistically likely only minor $$ savings can be achieved and more questionable in the bigger picture.

Last edited:

Are you being sarcastic? You're a new user, so I'm going to assume that you're genuinely unaware that the Scarborough LRT would be grade separated from traffic. It would operate just like any of the surface subways in the city; never stopping or interacting with traffic.

The Scarborough RT currently takes 9-10 minutes from Kennedy to STC. In the last SSE report it states that using the McCowan Corridor the subway will take 6.5-7.5 minutes. Factoring in the transfer at Kennedy the average time saved will be approximately 5 minutes.

The Scarborough RT currently takes 9-10 minutes from Kennedy to STC. In the last SSE report it states that using the McCowan Corridor the subway will take 6.5-7.5 minutes. Factoring in the transfer at Kennedy the average time saved will be approximately 5 minutes.

That's gotta be more than 5 minutes. Starting your timer when you arrive at kennedy station, when the doors open, you run up the stairs to the 4th floor (2nd floor from ground level), wait for the RT, wait for the driver to walk form one end to the other, and travel to STC. That's usually 20 minutes. The ride from the RT door closes to STC maybe 9 minutes, but that transfer on average adds 8-10 minutes. This is from experience.

The Scarborough LRT would redesign this trans
That's gotta be more than 5 minutes. Starting your timer when you arrive at kennedy station, when the doors open, you run up the stairs to the 4th floor (2nd floor from ground level), wait for the RT, wait for the driver to walk form one end to the other, and travel to STC. That's usually 20 minutes. The ride from the RT door closes to STC maybe 9 minutes, but that transfer on average adds 8-10 minutes. This is from experience.
The Scarborough LRT would redesign this transfer to be underground to just one level above the subway. It would take the same time as the current RT. The total transfer time would be less than 8-10 minutes. Also, currently the Scarborough RT can only run every 5 minutes during rush hour due to ongoing the RT refurbishment program. The previously proposed Scarborough LRT would run more frequently as it would not be using an outdated technology.
upload_2017-3-20_0-25-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-20_0-25-2.png
    180.1 KB · Views: 306
Seems like the bottleneck of the Scarborough LRT is 1 platform for a terminus. How much more frequent can service be?

Seems like the bottleneck of the Scarborough LRT is 1 platform for a terminus. How much more frequent can service be?

It would have been on a loop, so no change in direction, more like unloading and loading at a regular station, just with more passengers.

Are you being sarcastic? You're a new user, so I'm going to assume that you're genuinely unaware that the Scarborough LRT would be grade separated from traffic. It would operate just like any of the surface subways in the city; never stopping or interacting with traffic.

My bad. I thought it was like Eglinton LRT or St Clair Streetcar.

My bad. I thought it was like Eglinton LRT or St Clair Streetcar.

It have used the exact same route and most of the existing SRT infrastructure. The main difference is at Kennedy (lower level for easier transfer, bigger platforms, etc.)

And that's half the reason we're stuck with the one-stop subway.

Fair enough. But it can also mean it wasn't well-explained to the average public and the branding wasn't properly isolated from previous infrastructure that sets bad precedent.

Have to agree with Avenue. The project (Transit City plan) was poorly explained to citizens.

Those going to consultations and following city hall debates is a tiny minority of the population.

Perhaps the TTC should have explained the projects themselves via the media, not letting media's with their own opinions/agendas doing the explaining for them

Back