News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Actually curious why they decided to build an SRT at the time instead of extending the subway..

Lots of wasted money and time and effort...and they have the guts to call it a successful project? In what way is it successful? That corridor could've been used for the subway.

Actually curious why they decided to build an SRT at the time instead of extending the subway..

Lots of wasted money and time and effort...and they have the guts to call it a successful project? In what way is it successful? That corridor could've been used for the subway.
Not necessarily a waste of money. The subway would have required 40 years of operating subsidies from being underutilized. Now that would have been a waste of money.

Not necessarily a waste of money. The subway would have required 40 years of operating subsidies from being underutilized. Now that would have been a waste of money.
So to "botch" it (Toronto signature move in Public Transit) was a better solution to you? I doubt that extending the subway in 1985 dollars to STC would have ended being more expensive than what we're about to do with the 1 stop subway. Stations would have been at Eglington & McCowan, Lawrence & McCowan and STC. Today. we'd be talking crossing the 401 instead of starting from scratch at nearly $5B (most likely more) for the 1 stop subway.

Not liking the 1 stop subway doesn't mean you can't admit that it should have been done right from the get go in the 80s. (Sound City planning + subway extension)

Today's mess is decades of incompetence in the planning process.

Oh Contraire.

Vaughan solidified this extension. Lucky for Sauga when their time comes the Toronto Star and Metroland wont be putting many resources to attack. There wont be any stubborn council opposition going all out in an attempt to force in a line with a transfer one stop in front of MCC. It wont be waddled down to one stop. Im mean look at all those stops they want? Itll slide right thru like Richmond Hill in the near future and recently in Vaughan. But Scarborough Centre?

https://www.insauga.com/its-time-to-build-a-subway-to-square-one

View attachment 107257

A call for it from an online news blog (what passes these days for "journalism") is a far cry from a call from the municipality.....Mississauga, like most 905 cities, is constantly updating their transportation plans.......they are looking for LRT on Hurontario....some sort of RT on Derry....some sort of RT on Dundas an some sort of RT on their waterfront...in addition to their busway an pushing hard for the missing link to give them full GO ReR on the Milton line.....there is no call for a subway by the municipality at all.

So to "botch" it (Toronto signature move in Public Transit) was a better solution to you? I doubt that extending the subway in 1985 dollars to STC would have ended being more expensive than what we're about to do with the 1 stop subway. Stations would have been at Eglington & McCowan, Lawrence & McCowan and STC. Today. we'd be talking crossing the 401 instead of starting from scratch at nearly $5B (most likely more) for the 1 stop subway.

Not liking the 1 stop subway doesn't mean you can't admit that it should have been done right from the get go in the 80s. (Sound City planning + subway extension)

I never said it was botched. My preferred solution for this whole fiasco would have been to convert it to Skytrain 10 years ago.

In what way is it successful?
“Notwithstanding criticisms and misinformation over the years, the Scarborough RT has been the single most-reliable service operated by the TTC.”

“For many years, it has carried daily passenger volumes of 40,000 people, with peak-period passenger volumes maxed-out at 4,000 passengers per hour, due to the limited number of vehicles in the SRT fleet.”

January 2013 TTC Report. Pg 9
https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...upplementary_Reports/Response_to_Commissi.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: syn
“Notwithstanding criticisms and misinformation over the years, the Scarborough RT has been the single most-reliable service operated by the TTC.”

“For many years, it has carried daily passenger volumes of 40,000 people, with peak-period passenger volumes maxed-out at 4,000 passengers per hour, due to the limited number of vehicles in the SRT fleet.”

January 2013 TTC Report. Pg 9
https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...upplementary_Reports/Response_to_Commissi.pdf
I read that, but I just don't understand how it's a success since it should have been subway from the beginning. I consider the whole SRT project to be a massive failure.

The original plan was to bookend the Bloor-Danforth line with ICTS lines. There's space at Kipling station for a platform for a line that would have gone to the airport.

Generally, the city would have had ICTS lines going through hydro-corridors to affordably whisk people through the suburbs. That plan ended with Billy Davidson's PC government.

I never said it was botched. My preferred solution for this whole fiasco would have been to convert it to Skytrain 10 years ago.

It's the same technology as Skytrain, just an earlier version. So you're saying that it should have just been refurbished for MarkIII vehicles.

Could the SRT be rebuilt and pull into Kennedy Station underground? Was that ever examined?
Yes, though the final plan (before LRT) was to simply eliminate the curve entirely and simply build a platform at grade between the GO platforms and the bus terminal. This was in the 2006 report when TTC authorized the upgrade to handle and purchase Mk II trains.

Do you have any numbers to substantiate your opinion? Some Net Present Value calculations would be nice.
First adopters of new technology (SRT) usually pay more.

Subsequent uses of technology (GO ALRT across Finch Hydro corridor, Kipling to Pearson, Vancouver SkyTrain, Montreal REM) see the benefits.

Back