News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

For me the heart of the matter is this, which plan can deliver this to Scarborough Centre?
No plan would.

The market dictates what gets built. Not transit.

The market has thoroughly rejected Scarborough Town Centre for intensification during the height of auto-dependency. Now that there is a cultural, generational and social shift towards urban, walkable centres near downtown, Scarborough Town Centre is even worse off. The only thing that could change Scarborough Town Centre's future is if the cost of developing land here was made substantially cheaper than elsewhere in the city.

Mississauga City Centre is the area that I mentioned....not impacted by the QEW.....none of the development there is significantly impacted by the airport and most of it happened before the LRT was a glimmer in anyone's eye......but, interestingly, your list kinda proves that subways are not the only way to spur density/development.

The subway is not coming to Mississauga City Centre....there is no desire to push it that far west...and, more importantly, there is no request to.

The investment in the City centre is a result of surrounding investments and a focal plan to attract. The subway is theoretical based on what the Province is doing in lesser areas of the 905 so yes we can extract that for now but I dont discount at all.

The quality of public investment is a major factor in spurring growth. North York is a much more sound comparable to Scarborough in population, size and vicinity to Downtown then Mississauga as its a Toronto suburb and placing a transfer before NYCC would have been sheer stupidity

The investment in the City centre is a result of surrounding investments and a focal plan to attract. The subway is theoretical based on what the Province is doing in lesser areas of the 905 so yes we can extract that for now but I dont discount at all.

The quality of public investment is a major factor in spurring growth. North York is a much more sound comparable to Scarborough in population, size and vicinity to Downtown then Mississauga as its a Toronto suburb and placing a transfer before NYCC would have been stupidity
you seem to be going a long way around a simple question....can density occur without a subway? The answer is a clear "yes".....go on, sometimes it is ok to admit something.

you seem to be going a long way around a simple question....can density occur without a subway? The answer is a clear "yes".....go on, sometimes it is ok to admit something.

I answered, maybe not what you are looking for? Let me clarify. Yes, density can be built wherever a City allows but its the quality varies depending upon the connectivity and quality of infrastructure surrounding . I dont care to see SCC impeded by a transfer one stop before as that does affect attractiveness for investors and commuters as this is a clear limitation.

Would a transfer one stop before NYCC make sense? Not to me and would have been poor long term planning if constructed that way.

Last edited:
@pstogios is taking some time off for direct attacks. Not quite sure for how long yet, the Mods will discuss it, but several days at least.

Hopefully he is at least told what he did. I've been blocked twice in the last 10 years (that I recall), and neither time could I actually get anyone to tell me what I'd said that crossed a line. Therefore, I've not had any opportunity to learn from it.

We cant seem to shake the attacking nature of this thread - which is too bad, because we should accept the decision by council (yes it could change) and have discussions that relate to what is approved.
Part of the problem, is that part of council is openly and regularly attacking other parts over this issue (see Gord on Twitter for example). The Star is on the warpath, and the probably future provincial government has no position. This ain't over ...

I had hoped this would stop when the thread was shut down for a bit a few weeks ago.
I didn't even notice - but I probably wouldn't if there were no new posts. Or if there was sudden breaking news. Or I'd tripped over something juicy.

Go away for 6 hours - 3 pages later.... blah, blah, blah The current plan sucks. blah, blah, blah I want LRT blah, blah, blah

I wish that the whiny babies would refrain from arguing about what is best here, and instead complain to their councilors.

I hoped this thread would be about the design and construction of the extension, not about complaining that the city is not doing enough.

And John Tory says "I've got it, don't worry, the Toronto Taxpayer Card has a great credit limit"

I think it's John Tory's instinct from back when he was running for Premier to have Toronto pay for everything, even things Toronto only marginally benefits from. See the centrepiece of his election campaign, a $7 billion line from Missisauga to Unionville.

For me the heart of the matter is this, which plan can deliver this to Scarborough Centre?

It's equally bad to just put the LRT in the same alignment and to keep STC as is. Unless you bury the LRT below the STC district, you can't have the above project.

Again, both sides are stubborn. The LRT side had multiple opportunities to modify the plan to alleviate the Kennedy Station problem and to completely reinvigorate STC so it could be a functional urban centre that could attract both residents and investors. Instead, it was SLRT as is or nothing. Why wasn't elevated Skytrain pushed?

Why would Skytrain be acceptable but not LRT for building the above situation? In either case, you're not using up that much land with the elevated guideway, it's just a different vehicle choice. Maybe ICTS would be slightly more slender and no catenary, but it wouldn't be an order of magnitude difference.

The SRT alignment is not as good as McCowan Road. Pushing Skytrain by showing residents Vancouver as an example would have had a better impact, but we'll never know.

But the SRT alignment *is* better for STC. The weak points of the SRT alignment are that it uses up track space in the Stouffville sub and that it passes through low-rise industrial sites for the north/south part of its alignment, but once it gets to STC it has a good route since STC is an east/west rectangle and the SRT runs through the centre of it. The Bloor-Danforth extension has a single stop at the eastern edge of STC so it doesn't provide as good coverage of the site.
20160121_ScarboroughCtrOfficialPlan.jpg

In addition, the extension of the SRT would have had a stop to service all that proposed development in the McCowan precinct:

sse_stcstationlocations_20160621.jpg

I'm sorry, but all those years the LRT proponent had the floor at city hall, they never proposed an integrated plan that would revitalized STC with the LRT. Instead this is what they proposed:

The same but an LRT instead of the current fleet

As soon as the above plan to rejuvenate STC was thrown in the subway plan, I knew it was over and subway would win every votes from now on, even if 1 stop makes no sense and Smarttrack killed the 3 stop plan.

The plan to "rejuvenate" STC is independent of the rapid transit solution, though. You could do it with either. Continuing the SRT east to centennial college and to Sheppard would probably do more to spur development than a single stop.

Putting aside LRT vs subways for a second, people wanted CHANGE!!! Something the LRT proponents never understood about Scarborough.

The way I understand the LRT vs. Subways debate is that the current SRT, with its transfer, forms a psychological barrier between Scarborough and the rest of the city. The fact that transit city proposed a transfer from subway to street running LRT on every transit line that seemed to approach Scarborough (e.g. Sheppard subway to LRT, Kennedy to SRT, underground Eglinton transfer to SMLRT at Kennedy) probably didn't help the sense of segregated transit and geographic isolation. If the constraint is a continuous, grade separated line, then the Bloor-Danforth extension is the only logical outcome. I've grown to appreciate Burloaks position more on this.

It's interesting how the Bloor-Danforth subway runs the full gamot of what you'd expect rapid transit to be. In the central part it has frequent stop spacing every couple hundred meters in leafy low-rise neighbourhoods, only to gradually morph into an express 6 km stop with massive bus terminal surrounded by highrises, a shopping mall, and parking lots.

Last edited:
If the constraint is a continuous, grade separated line, then the Bloor-Danforth extension is the only logical outcome. I've grown to appreciate Burloaks position more on this.
Or you know, interlining the LRT with the Crosstown. Astounding how such an easy solution to the problem is right there, proposed at one point, and not even on the radar.

It's interesting how the Bloor-Danforth subway runs the full gamot of what you'd expect rapid transit to be. In the central part it has frequent stop spacing every couple hundred meters in leafy low-rise neighbourhoods, only to gradually morph into an express 6 km stop with massive bus terminal surrounded by highrises, a shopping mall, and parking lots.

I'll be interested in finding out what the TTC decides to do with that stretch. Short-turning trains at Kennedy is the most logical outcome from a transit operating standpoint. That won't be a happy outcome for Scarborough though.

I'll be interested in finding out what the TTC decides to do with that stretch. Short-turning trains at Kennedy is the most logical outcome from a transit operating standpoint. That won't be a happy outcome for Scarborough though.

What i am hearing here is that people in Scarborough will not mind long waits for trains as long as there is no transfer at Kennedy when the train finally goes/comes.

What i am hearing here is that people in Scarborough will not mind long waits for trains as long as there is no transfer at Kennedy when the train finally goes/comes.
On their way home though, they could be forced to transfer anyway, if stuck on the wrong train.

Every train should end at STC.

I know, right. All westbound trains terminate at Kipling after all. Why turn back the trains one stop short of the eastern terminus? SCC could be as busy if not more so than Kennedy Stn if the ~30,000 daily alightings at Scarborough Centre today are anything to measure what the average daily usage will be post-extension.

well, when I look at the pictures posted by Hopkins123 a few posts up....I don't see any of them that are more dense than Mississauga City Centre (North York may be equal but not "more") and that Victoria Park picture looks like a slightly less dense version of the Bramalea City Centre area.

Two areas that not only do not have subways....they do not have railed transit at all.

I am sure there are other examples.

I have no doubt that a subway aids in densification....but I can't agree with the statement that density cannot happen without a subway.

It's only natural that the downtown core areas of a city would see the most development. Note, I deliberately excluded central Toronto in my illustrations because its arguable that other factors contributed to its growth beyond having a underground rapid transit line there.

But the developments at High Park, Victoria Park, Islington and Downsview likely would have failed to launch if there wasn't a subway present to incentivize developers to build condos in those locations. These areas are far removed from the central city, they're satellites in a way, and their residents are very subway dependent.

Subway is a marketing tool. The elevated RT line has failed to attract more than meager growth. An LRT doing the same thing will likely only produce the same result. And its no fault of SCC's location, because like MCC i.e. Mississauga City Centre - its proximal to highways and major corridors; has a civic centre attracting some office type growth and is anchored by a regional mall. Mississauga is in for a big problem because it has a population bigger than Scarborough's and even the LRT will not sustain it. It and the Transitway are stop-gap measures at best. It's to Toronto City Council's credit to be proactive and push for subways now rather than kick the can down the road like Mississauga has done.

It's only natural that the downtown core areas of a city would see the most development. Note, I deliberately excluded central Toronto in my illustrations because its arguable that other factors contributed to its growth beyond having a underground rapid transit line there.

Bramalea City Centre is a city centre in name only....yet it has density equalling some of those areas you pictured above...all done with no more transit than buses.

But the developments at High Park, Victoria Park, Islington and Downsview likely would have failed to launch if there wasn't a subway present to incentivize developers to build condos in those locations. These areas are far removed from the central city, they're satellites in a way, and their residents are very subway dependent.

We honestly will never know....and I was not challenging that at all....what I was challenging was the notion you suggest that only subways can produce density....

...and on that subject:

Subway is a marketing tool. The elevated RT line has failed to attract more than meager growth. An LRT doing the same thing will likely only produce the same result. And its no fault of SCC's location, because like MCC i.e. Mississauga City Centre - its proximal to highways and major corridors; has a civic centre attracting some office type growth and is anchored by a regional mall. Mississauga is in for a big problem because it has a population bigger than Scarborough's and even the LRT will not sustain it. It and the Transitway are stop-gap measures at best. It's to Toronto City Council's credit to be proactive and push for subways now rather than kick the can down the road like Mississauga has done.

Your response to that is to say that MCC having achieved density without a subway is in trouble because it has grown up too much to be sustainable without a subway?

Last edited:

Back