News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Something is fishy in the costs to build subways in Toronto. If I were in charge, I could easily build the SSE under $3 Billion

Last edited:
Something is fishy in the costs to build subways in Toronto. If I were in charge, I could easily build the SSE under $3 Billion

By not following the building codes, ignoring the safety regulations, not following the labour codes, prison labour, cheap materials, lowest bidder,...?

The rising cost of infrastructure in Canada when considering our growing infrastructural needs and backlog is troublesome regardless and a conversation we need to stop ignoring.

Especially when our economy is dependent on Toronto being economically competitive with other international global cities.

The rising cost of infrastructure in Canada when considering our growing infrastructural needs and backlog is troublesome regardless and a conversation we need to stop ignoring.

Especially when our economy is dependent on Toronto being economically competitive with other international global cities.

We need to arrest the rising costs and lengthening timelines of transit infrastructure in the GTHA, if we're going to have any hope of building the transit system we need. Rather than accept the status quo, Queen's Park should lead an investigation into:

1) Why do Ontario transit projects take as long as they do to begin construction? Other jurisdictions are able to begin subway construction within two or three years of proposal. Why does it take Ontario a decade to do the same. How can we change our regulations to speed up construction?

2) What is driving up the costs of construction? Is it the cost of materials, the cost of labour, or another factor? Could bringing in foreign workers help to reduce costs? (Yes, not a politically friendly option, but the economic costs of delaying infrastructure used by millions is far in excess of denying a few thousand locals some jobs)

3) Is the lack of competition on the construction industry a factor in high costs? Have we done enough to open up construction opportunities to international firms?

4) Is chronic underfunding of local and regional city planning and engineering staff increasing the amount of time necessary to plan these projects? Perhaps a funding boost to local planning and engineering would significantly speed up timelines? I know for a fact that this is a pretty big issue at Toronto City Planning.

5) Given the year-over-year increases in the price of construction, how much money are taxpayers losing due to the slow progress on these projects?

6) What tools are available to the to the government to ensure enough capital exists to get projects under construction in a more timely manner? Can the infrastructure bank help?

7) And overall, a comparison of transit building procedures and regulations in Ontario compared to other jurisdictions around the world.

We needn't look to distant counties like China for solutions. Right here in Canada, BC and Quebec are able to get transit built and operational far quicker than we do in Ontario. These ridiculous timelines might very well be localized to Ontario.

Last edited:

Back