News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

They're very distinctive with that pattern of brick and window sections. It's a shame they're not saving all three.

I visited someone once in one of those buildings. He lived in a two level apartment. It had a very nice layout and great light. I don't understand why all three buildings aren't being refurbished. They are all big buildings, lots of density, with an unusually thoughtful design. They don't deserve to die, unless of course they are too far gone to maintain economically.

As a former resident of Regent Park, I have mixed feelings about the demolition of these buildings. In one sense, I really liked the layout of the units(especially the two level apartments). Despite all the brick and concrete on the exterior, there was an airy quality to some of the units. I can also recall those odd balconies which were staggered between two units. I am glad they are at least refurbishing one of those buildings to preserve the architectural heritage of the area.
Despite all the positive architectural merits of these buildings, the public realm around them is pretty atrocious to say the least. The area is just terribly planned!

The ground level is pretty bad, but I definitely think they could be incorporated into the new plans with thoughtful infill and reconstruction at the bases. I also wonder if they'll maintain the skating rinks, which are heavily used in the winter. I play hockey there all the time, and it'd be a shame to lose them.

The apartments are two level and extend from one side of the building to the other for cross-ventilation. The elevator floors skip every other floor to accommodate this ingenious layout. Detail are available in the book Peter Dickinson by Dominion Modern.

I absolutely love the interior layout of these buildings. The units are a great size (luxurious, compared to what you find today) and the extension from one side to the other gives them an airy quality. I used to spend so much time here. I'm sure if they refurbish the interiors and market the building as some sort of chic mid century condo, it would sell out in a heartbeat.
Adding more density and infill around the public realm of the buildings can add to the effect.

Back