News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
As continued from Part II...

In the SOMA (South of Market) neighbourhood sits the Moscone (Convention) Center.
DSCN4119.jpg

Also in SOMA is the SFMOMA (San Francisco Museum of Modern Art).
DSCN4120.jpg

The SFMOMA sits in front of the neo-gothic Pac-Bell Building.
DSCN4121.jpg

The SFMOMA has been housed in this new (and somewhat controversial) building by Mario Botta since 1995.
DSCN4122.jpg

The SFMOMA sits across the street from the Yerba Buena Gardens (which were also developed in the 1990s).
DSCN4123.jpg

Unlike the MoMA, the SFMOMA does not allow photography, but I managed to get a few in the lobby.
DSCN4125.jpg

The museum has in its collection important works by Jackson Pollock, Richard Diebenkorn, Paul Klee, Marcel Duchamp, Ansel Adams and Andy Warhol among others.
DSCN4126.jpg

SFMOMA (cont.)
DSCN4127.jpg

The SFMOMA's lobby is animated by a crazy flying fan (as seen to the left of the photo).
DSCN4128.jpg

This Keith Haring sculpture sits on the grounds of the Moscone Center.
DSCN4129.jpg

Further west in SOMA sits the new San Francisco Federal Building.
DSCN4130.jpg

The San Francisco Federal Building is a new building designed by the architectural firm Morphosis (the same firm that brought Toronto its "Graduate House" at U. of T.)
DSCN4131.jpg

It is the first naturally ventilated office building on the west coast since the advent of air conditioning.
DSCN4131A.jpg

San Francisco Federal Building (cont.)
DSCN4132.jpg

DSCN4133.jpg

DSCN4134.jpg

DSCN4135.jpg

DSCN4136.jpg

DSCN4137.jpg

DSCN4138.jpg

DSCN4139.jpg

DSCN4140.jpg

San Francisco City Hall (is actually taller than the U.S. Capitol).
DSCN4143.jpg

The UN was formed in San Francisco in 1945 (and some are still bitter that it was moved to NYC shortly thereafter).
DSCN4144.jpg

Toronto doesn't have a monopoly on gay Church Streets (apparently).
DSCN4145.jpg

Mission San Francisco de Asís is the oldest surviving structure in San Francisco and the sixth religious settlement established as part of the California chain of missions. The Mission was founded on June 29, 1776 by Lieutenant José Joa.
DSCN4146.jpg

The Mission District, also commonly called "The Mission," is ethnically and economically diverse and has a population that is 50% Latino.
DSCN4147.jpg

The 16th Street BART station is in the heart of The Mission.
DSCN4148.jpg

Probably the biggest burrito of my life was had in The Mission. Apparently burrito means "little donkey" in Spanish and now I know why!
DSCN4149.jpg

San Francisco's gay village is most concentrated in the business district that is located on Castro Street from Market Street to 19th Street. It extends down Market Street toward Church and on both sides of the Castro neighborhood from Church Street
DSCN4151.jpg

The U.S. military offloaded thousands of gay servicemen in San Francisco during World War II after they were discharged for being homosexuals. Many settled in the Castro, and this began the influx of homosexuals to the Castro neighbourhood.
DSCN4152.jpg

The Castro (cont.)
DSCN4153.jpg

Outside The Castro's Muni Metro Station is Harvey Milk Plaza. Milk was an openly gay San Francisco city supervisor in the 1970s. He and Mayor George Moscone were assassinated by a homophobe in 1978. His assassin, Dan White, was sentenced to seven years. Outrage over the verdict led to the "White Night Riots" in San Francisco by enraged citizens. Milk is seen by some to be a martyr to the LGBT community.
DSCN4154.jpg

Is there any other kind?
DSCN4156.jpg

The Castro (cont.)
DSCN4157.jpg

Half-way between The Castro and Haight-Ashbury, I came across this overly holidayed home.
DSCN4158.jpg

A view towards the Financial District from the upper reaches of The Castro.
DSCN4159.jpg

As I enter Haight-Ashbury the homes get increasingly colourful.
DSCN4160.jpg

The 60's era and modern American counterculture has been synonymous with San Francisco and the upper Haight neighborhood since the 1967 "summer of love."
DSCN4163.jpg

Haight-Ashbury (cont.)
DSCN4164.jpg

DSCN4165.jpg

Just west of Haight-Ashbury is Golden Gate Park.
DSCN4166.jpg

Golden Gate Park is in the shape of a long rectangle, similar in shape but 0.7km² larger than Central Park in New York.
DSCN4168.jpg

Golden Gate Park (cont.)
DSCN4169.jpg

The M.H. de Young Museum (commonly called "The de Young") is a fine arts museum located in Golden Gate Park. It is named for early newspaperman M. H. de Young.
DSCN4170.jpg

The controversial new M.H. De Young Museum building was completed in October 2005. It stands near the San Andreas fault, where the original De Young had been severely damaged in 1989 by the Loma Prieta earthquake.
DSCN4171.jpg

The terrain and seismic activity posed a problem for the designers Herzog & de Meuron. To address the problem of the fault, “[the building] can move up to 91cm due to a unique system of ball-bearing sliding plates and viscous fluid dampers that absorb kinetic energy and convert it to heat.”
DSCN4172.jpg

Lighted pathways around The de Young.
DSCN4173.jpg

The de Young Museum (cont.)
DSCN4174.jpg

DSCN4175.jpg

A view of the Sutrio Tower from Golden Gate Park.
DSCN4176.jpg

Then it was off to Alamo Square for this overly-photographed view.
DSCN4180.jpg

Unrtunately it was too dark to get a clear photo, but still sort of impressive.
DSCN4185.jpg

Part IV is here.

Good SF pics! You could call yourself DARKSTAR 415!!! (SF's Area Code)

DK416: Again good SF pics! The SF Federal Building is new since my late 2000 trip-did you get hassled at all taking those pics? SF City Hall is gorgeous-and close by is the infamous Tenderloin District. Haight-Ashbury and Golden Gate Park were just minutes (10-15 or so walk) from where I stayed back in late 2000-near the N-Judah light rail line.
I recall the Castro-my most vivid memory is going down there the night of Halloween 2000- it was quite a crowd scene there for that.I also recall being in Harvey Milk Plaza-HM was originally from Long Island by the way. The Mission District is SFs biggest predominantly Mexican area-that burrito looks quite good! Good SF pics again! LI MIKE

DK416: Again good SF pics! The SF Federal Building is new since my late 2000 trip-did you get hassled at all taking those pics? SF City Hall is gorgeous-and close by is the infamous Tenderloin District. Haight-Ashbury and Golden Gate Park were just minutes (10-15 or so walk) from where I stayed back in late 2000-near the N-Judah light rail line.
I recall the Castro-my most vivid memory is going down there the night of Halloween 2000- it was quite a crowd scene there for that.I also recall being in Harvey Milk Plaza-HM was originally from Long Island by the way. The Mission District is SFs biggest predominantly Mexican area-that burrito looks quite good! Good SF pics again! LI MIKE
I was worried about getting hassled at the Federal Building, but it was a quiet Sunday and no security came out to bother me. In fact, I wasn't the only one taking pictures of it, so I'm sure they are used to it by now.

Halloween in The Castro is unfortunately a thing of the past as violence and gunfire have come to plague the event. Quite a pathetic story for an otherwise relatively safe city...

http://www.planetizen.com/node/28108

Halloween in the Castro-no more?

DK416: Interesting info on the problems at the Castro halloween celebrations-I remember when I was there in 2000 the crowd was huge and I really felt that miscreants could cause serious problems-in recent years they have! In NYC any Greeenwich Village Halloween parade problems have been met with a quick response. Oh well...LI MIKE

Back