News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Miller has no concept of transit. His was his streetcar or nothing expecting long suffering Torontonians to have wet dreams about a soon to come 17km/hour streetcar system at just $9 billion and counting.

Where do we get these people who came here and make such absurd claims?

The new LRT lines range from about 22 km/hr to 31 km/hr. Why post such blatantly false information?

Miller has no concept of transit? How can one make such absurd claims with a straight face?

Why do all the nutters come out during election season?

Where do we get these people who came here and make such absurd claims?

The new LRT lines range from about 22 km/hr to 31 km/hr. Why post such blatantly false information?

Miller has no concept of transit? How can one make such absurd claims with a straight face?

Why do all the nutters come out during election season?

Hey nfitz,

Just out of curiousity, are you planning on attending the protest/rally at council chambers next wednesday for Save Transit city?

Negociating LRT vehicules with no guarantees for LRT tracks....that's smart....

Hey, anything to keep overpaid union workers gainfully employed, you know. What the general public wants or needs is of secondary concern to City Hall.

Here's a wild and crazy idea. Why doesn't Toronto use the rail ROW from Malvern all the way down to Castle Frank? You could cacnell the DM LRT, the Malvern ICTS, it would serve ares not at all served by mass/rapid transit, finishes nea Bayview so people going over to take the Yonge line have an alternative so some traffic could be releived on Yonge BEFORE it hits Bloor, could continue south via underground down Parliament to Queen and then head west to the Brampton GO line and follow it all the way up to near Islington where it could split one continuing noth to Humber College and the other to Pearson. It would serve huge areas of the city that have mass/rapid transit at all, be very affordable, could be built {the elevated and at-grade sections} in no time and have subway capacity.
Subway could be used but would be considerably more expensive that Monorail, ICTS, or true long articulated 100 metre LRT due to the cars being much heavier resultiing in the need for larger pillons and having to be closer together. LRT would also be more pricey than Monorail or ICTS due to having to build overhead electrical lines. Something like a higher capacity like VAL, MonoMetro, or Dockland would be ideal.
Spacing at about every 1km give or take and Toronto has served huge areas of the city that currently have.

Miller has no concept of transit. His was his streetcar or nothing expecting long suffering Torontonians to have wet dreams about a soon to come 17km/hour streetcar system at just $9 billion and counting. That's just 2 hours and 3 transfers to cross the city from Manlvern to Humber college..............count me in. I, like Miller, am having wet dreams about how Toronto's Walmart, McDonals'd, strip mall, gas station suburban streets are going to be turning into a European bohemian nirvnana.

They claim that Transit City will operate faster than that. But without proof that the TTC's capable of surface route management, we'll just have to wait and see. I don't drive, so the lack of decent transit service has already turned me off of visiting several shopping districts downtown and along St Clair West where I could've supported struggling businesses. To think that one day Eglinton could suffer the same fate concerns me.

SOS is hardly much better. For them it's subway or nothing regardless of the fact that it would means more stubways across the city. I agree with extending the current subways but there should be no new subways for Toronto.
The extensions are logical and usually cost effective unless of course Toronto mandarines continue to tunnel in the burbs unlikie every other city on the planet.

Where you get that idea from? SOS has shown interest in expanding all transit modes to my recollection, not just subways. But obviously you will agree that the downtown's densely populated enough for metro subways, that Midtown is, Scarborough Centre which is one of the largest non-subway transit hubs in the GTA, is. We only want two more lines which have been proposed on-again/off-again since the 1890s and 1960s respectively. Were people way back then more intelligent than this generation of transit planners when the city's population was even smaller?

A once great and enviable transit system just 30 years ago has turned into an also-ran and will continue to lose ground compared to almost any other city on the planet including one's that are significantly smaller.
Its time Toronto started being the once progressive and visionary city it once was by getting a grasp on reality and begin to look at affordable and alternative mass transit with more creating financing if it wishes to become the once great system it was.

Just don't suggest that we expand the network with elevated monorails to restore Toronto's transit prowess, we've been through this.

Last edited:
Fresh Start, you are mere inches away from being the Toronto transit equivalent of a 9/11 conspiracy theorist.

I was just being cynical.

It's all good.

It's sometimes difficult for me to tell who is an SOSer or those who support the other side...

We're all supportive of rapid transit expansion, some people would just like for the TTC to deliver on the RAPID aspect of what they're building at hyperinflated costs. This isn't an Us vs. Them situation. I fully support your rally and may make an appearence myself.

We're all supportive of rapid transit expansion, some people would just like for the TTC to deliver on the RAPID aspect of what they're building at hyperinflated costs. This isn't an Us vs. Them situation. I fully support your rally and may make an appearence myself.

Maybe not so much from you, but other members here, I have my doubts about their open mindedness.

I'm not anti-subway by any stretch, but at least if Transit City starts, then maybe it gets the ball rolling on a large transit building era for this great city. I'm just sick of the "Do nothing" option always happening here.

I was just being cynical.

No, what you're doing is baselessly accusing city agencies of corruption and illegal activities while at the same time representing with your comments a grassroots advocacy organization.

This is not a good idea.

FrashStart...........
I agree with subway ext like a complete Sheppard from STC to Spadina, Spadina to YorkU, and I do support the subway ext from Kennedy to STC but I don't think that is too urgent as it already a RT line. I know they have to do something by 2015 but they can lease some from Vancouver til say 2020.
I totally agree that any DRL should be completely underground but unlike SOS I would use the Queen St. corridor not King. King already has two very close subway station and you could spit from either one to Union which has the best transit service of anywhere. To me King is also a 9 to 5 centre while Queen is a shopping, restaurant mecca and serves City Hall and areas around it. Also King would cost a small fortune and take much longer to build due to the massive PATH system in that area. If they have to negotiate and tunnel under PATH you could nearly touch China.
Subway is OK but it should NEVER be tunneled anywhere that is not in the old City of Toronto boundaries and should make better use of rail ROW. Toronto desperatly needs point to point rapid transit from Humber to downtown and back to Malvern via a Queen tunnel. On such a line, regardless of technology it should have atleast 25,000 pphpd capacity and have stations at a approx 1 to 1,5 km apart. One of the many problems of TC is that it is a small fortune for a system that wouldn't be as fast as a BRT. It tries to be both local service and rapid transit at the same time...........not possible. If they want local transit that is why god created buses.
The reason I also strongly support a huge U system is that Toronto is on a grid and therefore it requires more transfers to get downtown and much slower speeds due to higher to travel at 2 lines meeting at a right angle.
I'm not against subways at all but not tunneled, limited stops to make the system rapid and use the rail ROWs where at all possible. I find the SOS plan dsijointed and does nothing for people trying to get downtown on a single line from outer city of Toronto areas.

Miller wasn't perfect but he seemed more committed to transit then any of the present candidates seem to be. Toronto needs more transit of all types; regional rail, subways, LRT's, regional buses and local buses and maybe even some BRT. Hopefully, Pearson gets a fixed link to rapid transit like Vancouver has, the Eglinton Crosstown LRT would help Toronto bring in tourism dollars as well as helping regular business if people flying into Toronto had access to rapid transit that the Eglinton Crosstown LRT would provide. Like Miller, I am very dissappointed in the provincial government for delaying the funding for so much needed transit projects.

This coming election is not going to be easy for me to pick although I am getting an idea. The main thing I am looking for, but not the only thing, is who is most commited to public transit in all its forms.

Build the "U" like I described and an off shoot to Pearson could be built into it. It would negate having to build an expensive airport line by itself and could be part of the TTC system so maybe only an nominal $2 fare for the Pearson cut off line. It could go right up to the front door and due to being part of the system it could be mused by Torontonians themselves not only the thousands of workers but also regular travelers not just the business crowd.
Eglinton LRT is not a good option as it is too slow and requires a transfer to get downtown.
This is an ideal network for Toronto, would replace the unneeded Finch, Jane, DM streetcars and the ICTS expansion to Malvern to boot.
Vancouver built its 18km Millenium Line from anouncment day to opening day in just 22 months.................there is NO reason why Toronto couldn't build twice that in the same time.

Back