News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I don't find them that depressing--but maybe because I have a yen for the style, whenever it's more or less intact...

my feeling is that any GOOD example of an earlier architectural style is, by definition, worthwhile and intrinsically interesting.

Also, as they say: "The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."

It never had a roof. That's the way it always looked, except it had more planters. The Bowling alley closed a while ago now.

It was the dominant mall for Brampton between 1960 and 1969, when the first phase of Shoppers World opened.

It's the last of the old-style malls that I know of in the GTA, unless Flemingdon Plaza is still intact.

The Brampton Mall is at Hurontario and Nanwood, about halfway between Steeles and Queen Street (highway 7 - but not really highway 7. It's complicated).

All you Mississauga and Caledon people forget that it's Main Street, not Hurontario, between Steeles and Bovaird (the old Town of Brampton boundaries), though I am sympathetic. Hurontario is the name of the pre-concession system road between Port Credit and Collingwood, so at one point in the 1830s or 1840s, the whole thing was Hurontario.

Even as a former Bramptonian, even I was aware that it's Queen Street, not Mississauga Road, in the former Village of Streetsville boundaries.

Brampton people dealt with this confusion by calling the whole thing "10" as in "Steeles and 10".

Except it's no longer technically "Highway 10" and all the signs are gone now south of Mayfield.

Just back from cycling on 10, between Valleywood Blvd and Collingwood Ave, and I would like to add another name to the street.

DEATH TRAP

All you Mississauga and Caledon people forget that it's Main Street, not Hurontario, between Steeles and Bovaird (the old Town of Brampton boundaries), though I am sympathetic. Hurontario is the name of the pre-concession system road between Port Credit and Collingwood, so at one point in the 1830s or 1840s, the whole thing was Hurontario.

Even as a former Bramptonian, even I was aware that it's Queen Street, not Mississauga Road, in the former Village of Streetsville boundaries.

Brampton people dealt with this confusion by calling the whole thing "10" as in "Steeles and 10".

Except it's no longer technically "Highway 10" and all the signs are gone now south of Mayfield.

I vote to rename Main Street to Hurontario Street :)

And Queen Street to Mississauga Road.

Yonge Street in Toronto is still has highway 11 signs. Don't see why Hurontario can't still be highway 10.

my feeling is that any GOOD example of an earlier architectural style is, by definition, worthwhile and intrinsically interesting.

Also, as they say: "The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."

And my feeling is, what's in those photos is, in 2008, sufficiently "worthwhile and intrinsically interesting". Imagine what a magical Friendly Rich sensibility can do with the place; or conversely, if you think it's "bad" in those photos, imagine it with a stucco LoPo makeover.

We need more artifacts like this.

Yonge Street in Toronto is still has highway 11 signs. Don't see why Hurontario can't still be highway 10.

Just because the signs haven't been removed yet doesn't mean anything. Besides, no one calls Yonge Street "Highway 11". So why should we call Hurontario "Highway 10". Those were provincial designations. Our cities have since grown up.

I've always meant to take some pictures of The Brampton Mall, but never got around to it. Thanks!

P.S. I never remember a roof either.

I have some pictures too now post-fire. No real visible damage. I remember the bowling alley well.

My mother's first job was the lunch counter at Woolworth's there (which is the building now occupied by the bakery, hair salon and Bargain Shop). It had a Reitman's (before Shoppers World Opened) a Brampton library mini-branch, and up until the early 1990s, Vivian's Hobby and Ski/Bike shop, a great hardware store, Guest Hardware, Pizza Pizza, a good flower shop, Brampton Colour and Sound (a TV/Stereo store), a good used book store. Up to this year, the only things going for it were the A&P (formerly Steinberg's/Miracle Food Mart), the Beer Store, the Royal Bank and the 24-hour Shoppers Drug Mart, especially with the disappearance of Guest, the alley and the flower shop.

Not too far is a near-dead mall (and been that way for years), Clarence Mall (later Royal Crest Mall) at Kennedy. It never had much going for it, except the Fortino's, until it moved out about 10 years ago, replaced by an Asian supermarket that has nothing on T&T. The few shops around the Fortino's entrance (you had to enter the store through the interior mall) did okay, but all the other corridors were dead. The back space was leased for provincial offenses courts.

I was just by the old Rexdale Mall site yesterday. I didn't realize they had completely gotten rid of the old structure. I remember going there as a kid...I think the mall might've been better than what's there now.

About the only remnant of old is the ex-Towers at the N end--now a flea market or something IIRC...

Back