News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The thing is, there is no such place as the 'club district.' It's a presumption. If anything, you should call it the restaurant district because these establishments far outnumber nightclubs.

Whether you like it or not, the area in question has been identified for residential development because of its proximity to downtown. That residential development is what will continue to reduce the number of clubs in the area. It is already happening and will continue to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the proposals for the area, I'd just prefer at the very least that the nightlife of the city isn't destroyed completely. Regardless of whether or not people like the music and atmosphere, it draws huge numbers of people (along with their money) downtown. My other concern is losing the charm that the area has with all of its early industrial architecture. Despite liking many of the proposed buildings, not a lot of them are sympathetic to the scale and materials used in the area. Usually I'm not extremely concerned with this, because I like our hodgepodge of styles and scale, however even with the parking lots the general area has a very cohesive and distinct feel.

Last edited:
My other concern is losing the charm that the area has with all of its early industrial architecture. Despite liking many of the proposed buildings, not a lot of them are sympathetic to the scale and materials used in the area.

Though it isn't like some of those nightclub conversions are any more sympathetic, i.e. the one on the W side of Peter N of Adelaide destroyed a terrific late 40s loft facade. It's probably those kinds of nightclub-proprietor creeps and clods that an architect's-son architectural afficionado such as Adam Vaughan might be objecting to...

Regardless of whether or not people like the music and atmosphere, it draws huge numbers of people (along with their money) downtown. My other concern is losing the charm that the area has with all of its early industrial architecture. Despite liking many of the proposed buildings, not a lot of them are sympathetic to the scale and materials used in the area.

The restaurants and many other businesses in the area also bring people and their money downtown. So do all those residents who live there. You appear to forget all about them.

Again, if you talk to Vaughan you'd discover that he shares your concern about the value of the local architecture, and he is certainly not always thrilled by the proposals that appear in the area.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/675471

I didn't know that Labyrinth had it's patio closed this summer. I hope this is temporary as I think it provides perfect atmosphere for the Annex. The Brunny, I don't care as much about. It's been a sh*thole for as long as I can remember anyway.

Anyone else suspect that this hysteria has only come about as a result of the recent shooting? Or is the Annex really getting out of hand?

Or is the Annex really getting out of hand?

I live in the Annex. It's not out of hand at all. I hate the Brunswick House and all the cavemen that go there but I would never suggest forcing it to close. People are being ridiculous like usual. I don't get why people live near Bloor but expect the area to be as quiet as some distant suburb.

I volunteered on Adam Vaughan's campaign in 2006 and in no way does he does not want to destroy the Entertainment District. All he wants to do is weed out the bad clubs, and provide more of a mix in the neighbourhood. Talk to the man before you post stuff that is far from the truth!

Club dilemma: Watch or drink?

One of the most interesting things about Friday's Clubland documentary (airing at 8 p.m. on Global's Currents) is that it manages to both glamourize and demonize this city's embattled Entertainment District.

Originally screened as part of this year's Hot Docs festival, the cut-for-TV version makes Toronto look like a fun, hedonistic, Bright Lights, Big City party that will be appreciated by anybody who's ever had a night out where their life was saved by a deejay.

It also does a pretty good job of outlining the frustrations of residents in the King-Spadina neighbourhood, reflected by Toronto Councillor Adam Vaughan's war on fun.

There are plenty of shots of drunk kids and macho dudes beating each other up after last call.

As a reporter who has covered the club beat for a long time, I'd say it does a pretty fair job of summing up most of the issues and mindsets of all of the players, including the cops, promoters, club kids, visiting 905-ers and high profile club owners.

But it is limited by focusing only on the downtown core and is already a little outdated.

And it doesn't provide any answers to the condo vs. clubs, mixed-use conundrum that has plagued the area for almost a decade – not that I really expected it to.

It also doesn't consider that beyond the big fight in the city's core, there are plenty of skirmishes elsewhere, like the growth of the Ossington Ave. club scene, which I think should be considered an unqualified success, even though it has sparked a city moratorium on new clubs.

Another new hot spot that has sprung up since the doc was made is Harbord Ave. Toronto Star restaurant critic Corey Mintz recently reported on a dispute between Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone and the Ici Bistro restaurant he opposes at Harbord and Manning. Pantalone argues that it doesn't fit the area.

Being a homeowner in my mid-30s, as I watched this doc, the famous words of Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon kept echoing in my head – "I am too old for this s---" – and I would undoubtedly be concerned if a big club tried to open on my block.

But as an entertainment reporter, I wish the doc had tried to find some mechanism to work toward a peaceful coexistence.

Also unfortunate is the Friday night time slot, since one group of people with a very vested interest – the clubgoers – will be far too busy pre-drinking to watch.

The only real constant about clubland is change and, in the time since this doc was shot over 17 nights two summers ago, one of the key players interviewed, former New York club kingpin Peter Gatien, has left Circa. There are plenty of rumours flying that club might not be long for this world.

The next real big change to come in the area will be completion of the Bell Lightbox, the Toronto International Film Festival's new headquarters and, fittingly, accompanying condo tower. The project will definitively have a transformative effect on the area and, in a funny way, could be the lifeline for the clubs that manage to stick it out for a few more years.

One possible way to alleviate the pressure gasket when all the clubs empty after the 2 a.m. last call is to extend drinking hours to 4 a.m., like they do during the film festival, when the celebrities make their annual pit stop in town.

After all, if late closings are okay for the stars and their fans when they are visiting, why not for the rest of us who happen to live here?

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/article/704185

A Closer Look at Toronto's Club District

http://www.blogto.com/film/2009/09/a_closer_look_at_torontos_club_district/

Last edited:
Circa is not doing well?

Both of the top bosses left: Peter Gatien who conceived the place and Orin Bristol, the general manager (now heading Guvernment).

I don't know what prompted them to leave but this club is one of the best nightlife venues in the city, both for regular weeklys and for special events and concerts. It's also a model sidewalk citizen since it has its own lineup inside the club (although it does overflow outside many times) and it doesn't appear (both visually and audibly) from the street to be the massive club that it is once you enter.

I hope it survives.

I've been to Circa twice within the last month and a half and you can just feel it failing. Both times I went on Saturdays, which are the busiest night, and although there was a fairly large crowd, it wasn't nearly as big as it used to be in the months after it opened. Both times, vast areas of the club were kept closed because there simply weren't enough patrons to make the whole place look well visited. I was quite impressed by Circa when I first went, but I've come to nearly hate it now - its gargantuan size and lousy layout are not inviting at all. I'll take a nicely human scaled, cozy lounge/bar/club on College, Ossington, or Queen West over it (and all the other oversized clubs in the club district) any day. Let all those die - it's been happening organically anyway.

^Yeah, there are very few clubs that stand the test of time. In this business people are always looking for something new and fresh. Tonic and Guvernment are the only clubs (I can recall) that have been around since the late 90s early 2000s.

If Circa does fail, I'm sure someone will take over, rename it, redo the interior and the crowds will return.

Back