News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

2: This thread is about debating the MERITS of ANY subway extension in Scarborough. As a result of a previous comment made by someone on this thread claiming that the ridership along the existing subway in Scarborough does not justify costs, I argued that such a statement is complete and utter BS. Yes, I agree the current subway extension proposal sucks, but I do not agree with the idea that expanding the subway into the suburbs of Toronto (And that is emphasized) makes fiscal sense, so long as it is built properly. I even gave a set of premises that any subway extension should take.

Well, technically this thread is about the merits of the Scarborough Subway Extension, which is currently proposed. That's what I have been discussing - the plan which has a current cost of nearly $4 billion.

The current proposal makes absolutely no sense.

Agreed.

This always irks me when I see it

trg7qnz.jpg

The grey dotted line is an abandoned railway line that was sold off to housing development. A portion of it south, was used for the line 2 subway extension from Victoria Park to Kennedy.

However, the portion north was instead sold off to developers. Typical short sighted vision by Toronto.

The line parallels Scarborough Town Centre, Centennial College, and Malven Town Centre.

It would have made a perfect right of way for extending the Line 2 subway along the surface.

Stupid.

trg7qnz.jpg

The grey dotted line is an abandoned railway line that was sold off to housing development. A portion of it south, was used for the line 2 subway extension from Victoria Park to Kennedy.

However, the portion north was instead sold off to developers. Typical short sighted vision by Toronto.

The line parallels Scarborough Town Centre, Centennial College, and Malven Town Centre.

It would have made a perfect right of way for extending the Line 2 subway along the surface.

Stupid.
So this?
line-2-old-jpg.132127

trg7qnz.jpg

Stupid.

When was it sold?

Would it be that out of question to expropriate?

In todays day and age?

Yes.

Not only the homes in the corridor, but also the homes surrounding it, they would complain about an above ground subway

We are talking hundreds of homes, entire neighborhood.

However, the portion north of the 401 is left mostly intact.

If we went with LRT or SRT refurbishment and extension it could have used this corridor to get to Malvern.

Last edited:
To be morally right the level of compensation these people would need to be offered to be forced to move would outweigh the cost savings of using the corridor.

Actually that scenario would be morally wrong, from a societal perspective. Morality isn't something to consider merely at the individual level. Compensation should strictly be about the worth of said homes in and on its' own, not how much it is relative to the cost saving of using the corridor. If the city were to save a billion even after taking into account paying the property owners market value, that is still a moral decision even if such savings isn't transferred to these property owners because this cost saving is ultimately a public good (nevermind that the service it enables is one as well).

AoD

Last edited:
Actually that scenario would be morally wrong, from a societal perspective. Morality isn't something to consider merely at the individual level. Compensation should strictly be about the worth of said homes in and on its' own, not how much it is relative to the cost saving of using the corridor. If the city were to save a billion even after taking into account paying the property owners market value, that is still a moral decision even if such savings isn't transferred to these property owners because this cost saving is ultimately a public good (nevermind that the service it enables is one as well).

AoD

I believe they used some of this corridor for Habitat for Humanity. There is no way any Politician is touching those

It seems many Scarborough residents haven't been properly informed on the issues that come with subway construction. Expropriation is a very real possibility, especially with a constantly escalating budget.

In any case, with severe overcrowding on the Yonge Line and major safety issues, I think it really puts these projects in perspective.

Honestly, with the rising cost on this ONE stop subway extension, wouldn't it make more sense to complete the Sheppard subway extension instead? I mean, extend line 4 all the way to STC. That would accomplish almost the same thing, and offer more stops in the middle.

Honestly, with the rising cost on this ONE stop subway extension, wouldn't it make more sense to complete the Sheppard subway extension instead? I mean, extend line 4 all the way to STC. That would accomplish almost the same thing, and offer more stops in the middle.

You will have to rewind the process, plus you don't know if that's a cheaper option either (probably not, given the number of stations).

AoD

That wouldn't work without the Relief Line to Sheppard, since it would force riders to use Line 4 -> Line 1 instead of Line 2 -> Line 1, which will put more people on Line 1 and those to would have not used Line 1 (destination on Line 2) would need to double transfer Line 4 -> Line 1 -> Line 2.

As a side note, I've always wondered why anyone would want to take Line 2 then transfer to Line 1 to get to downtown if the Relief Line went up to Sheppard. What I would do if I was at STC would be to take the 95 York Mills/Ellesmere to Don Mills, then transfer to Line 3 (DRL) to downtown. It would be even better if it was the 95E bus. The Relief Line will (should) have less stops than both Line 1 and Line 2, which would allow for a faster trip. Of course, this is assuming there's no interlining of trains from Line 2 to Line 3 and vice versa. Please correct me if my perspective on time is in the wrong place :D

Last edited:

Sounds good, but in reality its further insanity as even if expedited the process to start a new design still would take significant time. One thing is certain, costs will keep rising, the current price of the SSE will likely look pretty good in 10 years time when a Sheppard subway might be able to near a construction start, with the line opening maybe between 2035-2040? Crazy.

SCC still needs to be connected to Downtown in some manner and delaying that will negate most savings in any plan, forget the chaos debate that would ensue. Not only have voters been promised a subway to SCC, we now have developers going back in with large proposals at SCC based on the subway. Most have been holding back because of the transit. Would this now result in law suits on the City if cancelled? Likely. Cancellation would likely be the start of a death spin for City Hall in many aspects. The subway is the backbone of transit in Toronto and an LRT with a transfer prior certainly weakens demand that these developers are banking on. Its beyond unfortunate the City is debating between transfer LRT or a one stop subway. At this point intermediate stops could be still be added without going backward, but even without there is questionable benefit not to move on.

We really have to move forward or start to risk other projects and the Fed is at the table. Very interested to see what the Liberals plan of attack is in relation to Torys plan and the Fed funding.

Last edited:

Back