News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I would assume if Finch West Etobicoke residents were like Scarborough Centre residents, then they would not want the Finch West LRT, and instead would want a Sheppard Subway Extension from Sheppard-Yonge to Sheppard West to Finch West to Humber College. two-stops of course

Doug Ford did try the whole “Finch West deserves subways” thing and it kind of fell flat. Which is odd, because North Etobicoke (including Finch West) presently has the worst transit commute in the City of Toronto.

Doug Ford did try the whole “Finch West deserves subways” thing and it kind of fell flat. Which is odd, because North Etobicoke (including Finch West) presently has the worst transit commute in the City of Toronto.
But etobicoke was smart enough to put It's city centre on Bloor. Scarborough didn't get the memo, location, location, location, and now wants everyone to pay up for their mistakes.

But etobicoke was smart enough to put It's city centre on Bloor. Scarborough didn't get the memo, location, location, location, and now wants everyone to pay up for their mistakes.
Because being right next to the 401 (busiest highway in north America?) was an idiotic decision...

The things people writes nowadays...:rolleyes:

Etobicoke doesn’t have a city centre. It has a cluster of condos.

Can we rename our “city centres” to “condo centres”, because that’s all these failed urban centres will ever amount to.

Maybe that way generation of city staff can focus on more productive matters, like making our avenues plan actually work.

Last edited:
Etobicoke doesn’t have a city centre. It has a cluster of condos.

Can we rename our “city centres” to “condo centres”, because that’s all these failed urban centres will ever amount to.

Maybe that way generation of city staff can focus on more productive matters, like making our avenues plan actually work.
Etobicoke City Centre is at Burnhamthorpe and 427.

Etobicoke City Centre is at Burnhamthorpe and 427.

Yes, the glorious Etobicoke City Center. Home to big box stores, a few apartment buildings, and like two square feet of office development. Maybe if we dream hard enough it will actually amount to something (ECC wil never amount to anything)

Based on how little development it's seen and how long, how much scarborough is begging for a subway...sure I'll call it a idiotic decision
Location wasn't the reason. Poor urban planning was.

Good location, poor execution/no viable vision

Etobicoke Civic (sic) Centre only has one real big box in the immediate environs: the Loblaws across the 427. (I don't consider Cloverdale or Sherway "in the neighbourhood.")

As far as the Bloor zone goes, remember that it never really gelled as a "centre" until...well, it actually still hasn't really gelled as a "centre", knock on Six Points redesign wood.

Was the Kipling to YYZ rapid transit (ART) link supposed to pass by this location?

The ICTS Etobicoke RT system? Yes.

Mind that I’ve never been able to figure out of this proposal was anything more than a politician drawing an arbitrary line on the map, with the justification “if Scarborough deserves ICTS, Etobicoke deserves ICTS too”. Intuitively, I don’t believe there’d be enough demand on the corridor to warrant rapid transit, but maybe it would make sense if it was cheap enough.

I’ve never come across planning rational or studies on the proposal.

Last edited:
Mind that I’ve never been able to figure out of this proposal was anything more than a politician drawing an arbitrary line on the map, with the justification “if Scarborough deserves ICTS, Etobicoke deserves ICTS too”.

This logic is also happens the reason why Etobicoke got a one-stop subway extension to Kipling in 1980. If Scarborough deserves a one-stop extension to Kennedy, Etobicoke deserves a one-stop extension to Kipling. Etobicoke politicians of the day were apparently quite whiny at the prospects of Scarborough getting a one-stop extension, and them being left out of the game.

Despite questionable motivations for building the station, it was a good investment. It cost very little money to build, and relieved bus congestion at Islington Station’s terminal.

This logic is also happens the reason why Etobicoke got a one-stop subway extension to Kipling in 1980. If Scarborough deserves a one-stop extension to Kennedy, Etobicoke deserves a one-stop extension to Kipling. Etobicoke politicians of the day were apparently quite whiny at the prospects of Scarborough getting a one-stop extension, and them being left out of the game.

Despite questionable motivations for building the station, it was a good investment. It cost very little money to build, and relieved bus congestion at Islington Station’s terminal.
So if Scarborough gets a 1 stop extension, will there be a 1 stop extension west to Honeydale (Cloverdale) Mall or 427.

So if Scarborough gets a 1 stop extension, will there be a 1 stop extension west to Honeydale (Cloverdale) Mall or 427.

Council did authorize the study of that extension last year.

Looks like this Scarborough/Etobicoke tit for tat might become an established pattern :D

Back