News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Speaking of BRT, I think the kind that highway 7 has creates a similar problem as LRT. But Highway 7 is wide enough to accomodate BRT (maybe the roads were designed with BRT in mind). Anyways, it seems like Josh Matlow keeps pushing LRT even though we really really really hate LRT for all the reasons mentioned already. For me, it's subways or express bus. Even BRT ala highway 7 isn't really suited for Scarborough IMO unless the roads were designed with BRT in mind.

Speaking of BRT, I think the kind that highway 7 has creates a similar problem as LRT. But Highway 7 is wide enough to accomodate BRT (maybe the roads were designed with BRT in mind). Anyways, it seems like Josh Matlow keeps pushing LRT even though we really really really hate LRT for all the reasons mentioned already. For me, it's subways or express bus. Even BRT ala highway 7 isn't really suited for Scarborough IMO unless the roads were designed with BRT in mind.
Please dont generically say we like all of Toronto agrees with your assessment of LRT. I live on Eglinton and am happy for a LRT.

If Scarborough isn't suited for BRT than how can it be suitable for a Subway?

If we wanted to grade separate the LRT on Eglinton than for me the go to option would be elevated since its cheaper and faster to build. Not everything needs to be underground; our own Subway system proves this.

Elevation would work best at Leslie/Eglinton where the portal from Brentcliffe could ascend onto pilons which crossover to the south side of the intersection. Also the stretch from the DVP to Jonesville as Wynford/Eglinton is already on different grades and there is available land for side of roadway ROW at Bermondsey. Trench could work from VP to Birchmount with tunnel from Birchmount to Kennedy. This way we get a fully grade-separated line without the full costs of tunneling the whole way.

I personally think that given how expensive tunnels are, it should only be reserved for times when it is absolutely needed. For example once you get east of Laird the space really opens up so to me underground besides at Kennedy is just throwing money into a black hole; were as say the DRL downtown has to be underground because there is obviously no space at all above.

Only 23% of all transit trips beginning in Scarborough are heading downtown. The solution is regional rail. If only the city was planning regional rail expansion...perhaps it could run more frequently. Something like Regional Rail, but faster...like a Regional Express Rail?

There are about 250,000 people living downtown, and almost 800,000 living in the Old City of Toronto (pre-amalgamation boundaries). What about the other 550,000? Are they all just walking and cycling too?

Furthermore, there are residents downtown who don't actually work downtown, who will take a combination of transit to arrive at their destination. The downtown portion of the subway are busy almost continuously now - it isn't strictly a rush hour phenomenon.

This all goes back to my original point - areas with a high density of both population and employment are best suited for subway infrastructure.

If the problem for people in Scarborough is getting downtown, then what needs to be addressed is the regional rail situation. Spending $5 billion on a subway extension that cripples local transit and does little to improve a trip downtown is a foolish idea.

Why would someone living on the Sheppard Line want to drive to Yorkdale? They could just wait a few stops and get to Yonge.

The Sheppard corridor doesn't have great population density - and it isn't much of an employment destination either.

East of Fairview is even worse.

Here is Victoria Park & Sheppard:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Victoria+Park+Ave+&+Sheppard+Ave+E,+Toronto,+ON/@43.7751968,-79.3230738,3a,75y,349.31h,105.61t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sIc5JDVGiEmhuNt7nYcstpg!2e0!6s//geo3.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=Ic5JDVGiEmhuNt7nYcstpg&output=thumbnail&cb_client=search.TACTILE.gps&thumb=2&w=392&h=106&yaw=341.88342&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x89d4d245472c1403:0xc071f82bc4cacfc4!8m2!3d43.7752313!4d-79.32308
of those 23% of downtown trips, only about 5% are commuters heading to union station, where RER is supposed to benefit. things will get better if they throw in Gerrard, Liberty village, etc, but those aren't guaranteed. The subway connects to all of toronto, which is where 50% of all scarborough commuters are heading. That's a huge population to serve: 100,000 individuals, 200,000 transit trips. I wouldn't call that nothing.

I'd sell my soul to be able to live downtown, but sadly not everyone can afford live there; I can't even afford to live in Toronto. The other 550,000 live in Etobicoke (which is getting the FWLRT, EELRT (potentially grade separated), and has a bloor danforth subway line serving it), and north york (served by Line 1 Yonge, Spadina, Line 4, and future Line 3 Relief Line). What does Scarborough have? 2 stops on the BD line and an SRT that's falling apart. Despite my hatred for the "Scarborough deserves subways" argument, I'd call that neglect, it's nothing more than that. I think we all agree that 5 billion dollars is ridiculous for 7 km of subway track, but we have to remember the circumstances our economy is in and remember that the LRT option they are proposing solves none of the SRT shortfalls.

We're proposing an extension to Victoria Park because it's ripe for development, still has a significant amount of nearby density, and most importantly, has access to the Victoria park Bus, and can serve as an important transit hub for other bus routes.

Yorkdale was just a random example, but variety is important. I go to different malls in my city because they all have something different to offer. York University is a better example: it's simply much easier to drive there than take public transit. People need better options.

There is nothing wrong with LRT though, BRT is fine until you confront the fact that it still can't move as many people as an LRT can. Once you reach about 3,000 pp/h a BRT starts having diminishing returns, but a Subway doesn't become warranted until around 15,000 pp/h. Are you honsetly suggesting that every city in the world that has LRT's wasted their money? Are you suggesting a city like Los Angeles which has what can be considered one of the best, if not the best LRT's in North America is wrong? Is Ottawa wrong for converting its BRT into an LRT? BRT is nothing but a stop gap solution that wares out its welcome really fast, while LRT like every other rail based transportation system lasts generations.

You also talk about"removing lanes" as a bad thing while ommiting the fact that BRT does the exact same thing (have you seen Highway 7?) Merely painting lines on the road isn't BRT, mixed traffic express buses are not BRT.

Every form of transit has its place. Saying one is always better than the other is moronic. BRT should be in place on many streets in toronto like McCowan north of the STC, Runnemede, etc. LRT should be in places like Lawrence, Jane, Wilson/York Mills, etc. Saying any of these lines aren't ripe for either technology is illogical because our city is growing and we need to build to fix the problems of today with the future needs met.

So anti LRT now? LRT costs less then subways. Especially for people from areas that complain about fiscal responsibility. You also don't dig up the ground. And it encourages people to drive less and lower greenhouse gases.

Again LRT does not always cost less than subways; the ECLRT is costing far more per kilometer of grade separated line than the TYSSE. Why? Because there are more stations and the tunnels are much wider. Central Eglinton is not the place for LRT, they should have built a subway there with BRT or NS LRT at the terminal ends. Finch is the place for an LRT, Steeles is fit for LRT. Victoria park...but not streets like Eglinton, Sheppard, or Don Mills.

Do we know what the headways will be on the EC and EELRT? I ask because the entire line from Mount Dennis to UTSC will be 41 stops making it the longest line in Toronto, and this is before you factor in the EWLRT which would add another 16 stops (making it the second longest in North America behind the A Train in New York). I wonder if it will even be possible to operate the entire 41 stop service (and eventual 57 stop service) efficiently and consistently as a single line. I ask because you said the transfer on the EELRT is eliminated which it is but I wonder for how long. I do wonder if the opening of the EWLRT will force Crosstown service to be split at say Yonge, since operating services that long efficiently and consistently is really hard. Latency grows with the length of the line.

The line is going to face so many problems. It'll be overcrowded from day 1 and an interlined SRT replacement section will not be able to cope with the existing transit demands. People are going to get hurt.

Please dont generically say we like all of Toronto agrees with your assessment of LRT. I live on Eglinton and am happy for a LRT.

I'd be happy if I was living on Eglinton and getting anything that isn't a bus, but the LRT on the SRT corridor solves nothing, and, in fact, makes a lot of things worse (loss of high-level platforms, decreases line capacity). I support the subway because I support planning for the forseeable future. However, if I have to be fiscal, I'd go with the SRT replacement with skytrain over an LRT.

If we wanted to grade separate the LRT on Eglinton than for me the go to option would be elevated since its cheaper and faster to build. Not everything needs to be underground; our own Subway system proves this.

Fortunately the city was wise enough to avoid the costs of grade seperation east of Laird. Completely unnecessary.

of those 23% of downtown trips, only about 5% are commuters heading to union station, where RER is supposed to benefit. things will get better if they throw in Gerrard, Liberty village, etc, but those aren't guaranteed. The subway connects to all of toronto, which is where 50% of all scarborough commuters are heading. That's a huge population to serve: 100,000 individuals, 200,000 transit trips. I wouldn't call that nothing.

I'd sell my soul to be able to live downtown, but sadly not everyone can afford live there; I can't even afford to live in Toronto. The other 550,000 live in Etobicoke (which is getting the FWLRT, EELRT (potentially grade separated), and has a bloor danforth subway line serving it), and north york (served by Line 1 Yonge, Spadina, Line 4, and future Line 3 Relief Line). What does Scarborough have? 2 stops on the BD line and an SRT that's falling apart. Despite my hatred for the "Scarborough deserves subways" argument, I'd call that neglect, it's nothing more than that. I think we all agree that 5 billion dollars is ridiculous for 7 km of subway track, but we have to remember the circumstances our economy is in and remember that the LRT option they are proposing solves none of the SRT shortfalls.

We're proposing an extension to Victoria Park because it's ripe for development, still has a significant amount of nearby density, and most importantly, has access to the Victoria park Bus, and can serve as an important transit hub for other bus routes.

Yorkdale was just a random example, but variety is important. I go to different malls in my city because they all have something different to offer. York University is a better example: it's simply much easier to drive there than take public transit. People need better options.

First of all, the 550,000 other people who live in the Old City of Toronto boundaries do not live in Etobicoke, which was it's own city under the previous model. The Old City of Toronto, if still it's own city, would be the third densest in North America - that's exactly why it has more subway coverage.

Scarborough lacks subway infrastructure for the same reason Mississauga does - there isn't the density to support it. Like it or not, before amalgamation Scarborough chose a similar development path as Mississauga, and it's still basically a giant, low density suburb. A subway station at Victoria Park & Sheppard is insane for this very reason. It's going to be lifetimes before the area reaches the densities necessary to justify a subway.

I live downtown, and I have absolutely no expectation that transit should be able to get me wherever I want to go faster than a car, especially if I'm heading to the suburbs. Would it be nice? Sure. But if I lived on the Sheppard Line, why wouldn't it be faster to drive to Yorkdale than take transit? It makes complete sense since I don't live in an area that has the density to support those kinds of connections.

Besides, getting from the Sheppard Line to Yorkdale via transit isn't actually that long a trip; it's only about 15-20 minutes longer than driving (at least during rush hour).

There are some very simple solutions for people who aren't going to Union - get off and walk, take the subway somewhere closer to your destination, or get off at an earlier RER stop and take the DRL when it's complete.

The other option is to take the Eglinton LRT straight to Yonge and then head south or north.

Again, kind of like everyone else in the city who takes transit.

Every form of transit has its place. Saying one is always better than the other is moronic. BRT should be in place on many streets in toronto like McCowan north of the STC, Runnemede, etc. LRT should be in places like Lawrence, Jane, Wilson/York Mills, etc. Saying any of these lines aren't ripe for either technology is illogical because our city is growing and we need to build to fix the problems of today with the future needs met.

Again LRT does not always cost less than subways; the ECLRT is costing far more per kilometer of grade separated line than the TYSSE. Why? Because there are more stations and the tunnels are much wider. Central Eglinton is not the place for LRT, they should have built a subway there with BRT or NS LRT at the terminal ends. Finch is the place for an LRT, Steeles is fit for LRT. Victoria park...but not streets like Eglinton, Sheppard, or Don Mills.

The line is going to face so many problems. It'll be overcrowded from day 1 and an interlined SRT replacement section will not be able to cope with the existing transit demands. People are going to get hurt.

I'd be happy if I was living on Eglinton and getting anything that isn't a bus, but the LRT on the SRT corridor solves nothing, and, in fact, makes a lot of things worse (loss of high-level platforms, decreases line capacity). I support the subway because I support planning for the forseeable future. However, if I have to be fiscal, I'd go with the SRT replacement with skytrain over an LRT.
Listen, Eglinton should have been subway from the airport to Kennedy and LRT from Kennedy to Malvern but all LRT is not bad. I would prefer the former but it is what is now. In the future, it can be converted to full subway I believe, not sure about that though.

First of all, the 550,000 other people who live in the Old City of Toronto boundaries do not live in Etobicoke, which was it's own city under the previous model. The Old City of Toronto, if still it's own city, would be the third densest in North America - that's exactly why it has more subway coverage.

Scarborough lacks subway infrastructure for the same reason Mississauga does - there isn't the density to support it. Like it or not, before amalgamation Scarborough chose a similar development path as Mississauga, and it's still basically a giant, low density suburb. A subway station at Victoria Park & Sheppard is insane for this very reason. It's going to be lifetimes before the area reaches the densities necessary to justify a subway.

I live downtown, and I have absolutely no expectation that transit should be able to get me wherever I want to go faster than a car, especially if I'm heading to the suburbs. Would it be nice? Sure. But if I lived on the Sheppard Line, why wouldn't it be faster to drive to Yorkdale than take transit? It makes complete sense since I don't live in an area that has the density to support those kinds of connections.

Besides, getting from the Sheppard Line to Yorkdale via transit isn't actually that long a trip; it's only about 15-20 minutes longer than driving (at least during rush hour).

There are some very simple solutions for people who aren't going to Union - get off and walk, take the subway somewhere closer to your destination, or get off at an earlier RER stop and take the DRL when it's complete.

The other option is to take the Eglinton LRT straight to Yonge and then head south or north.

Again, kind of like everyone else in the city who takes transit.
You said:
"There are about 250,000 people living downtown, and almost 800,000 living in the Old City of Toronto (pre-amalgamation boundaries). What about the other 550,000? Are they all just walking and cycling too?" which made it imply that there were 550,000 people living in the rest of toronto, meaning 2,250,000 people live in toronto, which is not far off census data. I still don't really understand what you're trying to say here.

We're not talking about Old toronto, we're talking about Scarborough. Old Toronto used to be as dense as Scarborough when the subway was built. Density increases as time goes on. Comparing statistics now when the subway was built 50 years ago is quite illogical.

To Vic Park and Sheppard: Look at Kennedy, Kipling, Downsview, Warden, Islington, Wilson, Don Mills, etc. The point I've been trying to make for the last few posts is that access to surface transit has a direct correlation with subway ridership in suburban areas. That is what is happening at all these stations and it makes sense to bring the subway to these locations. You cannot argue that the Relief Line is needed when the densities on Don Mills or Victoria park do not support the density expectations you have for subway lines. It doesn't matter if a station has huge density. If it has access to good transit, it will see usage. I wouldn't call any of the above stations failures because of this, especially because they serve, in total, about 300,000 Passengers per day (more than a 3rd of the total subway ridership).

15-20 minutes is huge, meaning a round trip is a good 40 minutes. Who has that kind of time? And the purpose of public transit is to be public, people have to want to use it and it should be useful. That particular trip may not be a huge need for everyone but the fact that there's no subway connection between the Yonge and Spadina lines north of Bloor is concerning, especially if the Yonge line has to close.

Wouldn't be so sure about Eglinton just yet. If there's one line that's at risk of being overcapacity within 10 years of opening, it's Eglinton.

Listen, Eglinton should have been subway from the airport to Kennedy and LRT from Kennedy to Malvern but all LRT is not bad. I would prefer the former but it is what is now. In the future, it can be converted to full subway I believe, not sure about that though.
Oh, I'm not complaining about the fact that transit is being built, I'm just criticizing the shortsightedness of metrolinx.

Back