News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It's not just a question of if the wires will need replacing, the question will also be can the rolling stock handle it? The next 60 cars that are on order will also run on overhead wire, and in 20 years neither they, nor the youngest of the initial order, will be ready yet for replacement (also, given the size of the fleet, I venture any replacement of the Flexity fleet will be done in one fell swoop like they did with the CLRVs and ALRVs, so I expect that the oldest Flexitys will make it to 40 or beyond). You need to fully eliminate all vehicles without off wire capability before you can discuss eliminating wires.
There isn't anything other than money to convert 62 cars to battery power when the current fleet is due for replacement. There are fleets out there now being converted to batteries power and TTC would join that list with the 62 cars as the current fleet is retire.

There isn't anything other than money to convert 62 cars to battery power when the current fleet is due for replacement. There are fleets out there now being converted to batteries power and TTC would join that list with the 62 cars as the current fleet is retire.
Can you please provide a source that shows that the Flexity Outlooks, as we presently have them, could easily be converted to battery operation? I have not been able to find any product brochures but I am open to being corrected.

Can you please provide a source that shows that the Flexity Outlooks, as we presently have them, could easily be converted to battery operation? I have not been able to find any product brochures but I am open to being corrected.
I don't know of an source for Flexity conversion at this time, but doesn't mean there is not an way that it can happen 20 years down the road.

Why can other types of streetcar vehicles be converted today when they were built, battery design wasn't on the table?? What battery design looks like today will look a lot different in 20 years.

I don't know of an source for Flexity conversion at this time, but doesn't mean there is not an way that it can happen 20 years down the road.

Why can other types of streetcar vehicles be converted today when they were built, battery design wasn't on the table?? What battery design looks like today will look a lot different in 20 years.
Batteries used for traction power can be fairly large. Have you seen, for example, the monstrously large battery tubs atop our hybrid electric buses?

1663296737299.png

1663296759274.png

Both photos are mine.

Your vehicle needs to have space for them. The Flexity roofs already have a ton of equipment, I don't see how such large batteries would fit into the equation without heavy overhauling (not to mention, is the roof strong enough to support battery packs and air-conditioning units?) And then the question comes down to money. Does it make sense to invest so much money into 20 year old vehicles just so that we don't have to look at wires?

I presume any streetcars which were converted to battery operation were pre-prepared for it. I scarcely see how our current Flexity design could be called so. They were certainly never billed as such in any promotional materials that I've read, and any manufacturer would be daft not to call out such potential anywhere they can get away with it.

which ones have been I thought all of the ones that use battery power were purposely built with them?

Ok one city is doing it i think we should wait until it happens and is successful or see if they just scrap them and order new ones before we even think of them in Toronto.

Ok one city is doing it i think we should wait until it happens and is successful or see if they just scrap them and order new ones before we even think of them in Toronto.
More than one city, but let see what happen 2042 or about as it can happen here by then

These trams only use battery power to go on newer sections of track that they were too cheap to electrify. They still have pantographs. This is not the way it should be done. If you wanted a streetcar that could be fully powered by an onboard battery and run a serious route like here in Toronto (and not a tourist boondoggle) the battery would have to be insane. Now you're robbing the vehicle of passenger space. Now you're making it heavier, inflicting more damage on the tracks. We don't have to reinvent the wheel on this, overhead wire is the way to go. In fact, we should string up wire for BRT as well! Battery busses that can also use overhead wire. Viva busses for example.

1666715485893.png

Or if trolley polls are a speed/reliability issue, try Siemens eHighway technology. Pantographs for rubber tire vehicles! We could string this up on all the BRTs in the GTA!

1666715648914.png

Come on man, anything is possible...
he-is-speaking-guy-explaining-with-a-whiteboard.gif19593300

Reactions: T3G
In fact, we should string up wire for BRT as well! Battery busses that can also use overhead wire. Viva busses for example.
I would prefer trolley buses with off-wire capabilities, rather than the battery being the primary source of traction. Otherwise, your post is bang on. Wireless trams feel very gadgetbahn so that Toronto can feel like it's a modern, futuristic city.

Back