News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Those contracts were cancelled and replaced with nothing. If you're looking for the same thing to happen on transit routes, feel free.

Isn't that kinda the point? We could very well wind up with nothing. Yet some people seem blindly oblivious to the fact that Rob Ford was elected.

Need everyone be remided that plans, contracts, and construction were also in place for Sheppard (to STC).
I'm not aware of any construction work or contracts that was in place for Sheppard (either what was constructed, or what wasn't constructed) when Eglinton West was cancelled.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The scheduled date for the first meeting of the Toronto Transit Commission's nine Commissioners, appointed by City Council.

I'm not aware of any construction work or contracts that was in place for Sheppard (either what was constructed, or what wasn't constructed) when Eglinton West was cancelled.

Looking at the news archives, it doesn't seem that there were any penalties for cancelling the Eglitnon West subway. The TTC reported that the wrap up costs were $41 million, but those were it's own costs. Maybe construction companies only started demanding high break-up fees after debacles like Eglinton.

Looking at the news archives, it doesn't seem that there were any penalties for cancelling the Eglitnon West subway. The TTC reported that the wrap up costs were $41 million, but those were it's own costs. Maybe construction companies only started demanding high break-up fees after debacles like Eglinton.
As far as I know there was only one small construction contract that had started for Eglinton West, at Allan station. And I don't think it was the station construction. The main construction contracts hadn't started.

It's never been clear to me what they were digging, but I thought at the time I'd heard it was only a utility being moved ... and I think the tale has grown taller over the years.

It's never been clear to me what they were digging, but I thought at the time I'd heard it was only a utility being moved ... and I think the tale has grown taller over the years.

I had been lead to believe it was a TBM launch point that was being built but when I think about it I've not seen evidence of a TBM cancellation for Eglinton West and if the intention was to use Sheppards then the timeline is wrong.

Utility relocation is seeming much more plausable.

I had been lead to believe it was a TBM launch point that was being built but when I think about it I've not seen evidence of a TBM cancellation for Eglinton West and if the intention was to use Sheppards then the timeline is wrong.

Utility relocation is seeming much more plausable.

So then we are closer now, then we've ever been to having an Elginton subway rapid transti line.

So then we are closer now, then we've ever been to having an Elginton subway rapid transti line.

Last I checked Eglinton was planned as LRT with at-grade and below grade sections, not a subway. That said, there's no guarantee Eglinton is going ahead at all. Or any of Transit City for that matter.

Last I checked Eglinton was planned as LRT with at-grade and below grade sections, not a subway.
Perhaps you haven't heard, but the plan is that the LRT will run in a subway tunnel for over 10 km from near Black Creek to near Leslie, with no surface sections between this point.

As the project is fully funded by the provincial government, and even hardcore Tory councillors such as Stintz and Nunziata are in favour of it, it's hard to see council voting to cancel it.

Perhaps you haven't heard, but the plan is that the LRT will run in a subway tunnel for over 10 km from near Black Creek to near Leslie, with no surface sections between this point.

As the project is fully funded by the provincial government, and even hardcore Tory councillors such as Stintz and Nunziata are in favour of it, it's hard to see council voting to cancel it.

Go to Rob Ford's website and find it on there for me. Oh, that's right. It's not on there. Until Ford announces otherwise, we can assume it's as good as dead.

And furthermore, just because the tunnel's being built to accommodate subway in the future does not make it a "subway tunnel". It's an LRT tunnel because it'll be running LRVs.

Go to Rob Ford's website and find it on there for me. Oh, that's right. It's not on there. Until Ford announces otherwise, we can assume it's as good as dead.

Since it's not his money and the one signing the cheques hasn't indicated otherwise, shouldn't the assumption be that we can assume it will proceed unless Ford announces otherwise?

And furthermore, just because the tunnel's being built to accommodate subway in the future does not make it a "subway tunnel". It's an LRT tunnel because it'll be running LRVs.

Rob Ford is 1 out of 45 on city council.

A video on Why people voted for Rob Ford's transit vision:

[video=youtube;D4DRtpO-r5U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4DRtpO-r5U[/video]

Last edited:
Until Ford announces otherwise, we can assume it's as good as dead.
Ford announced during the campaign itself that if it didn't make financial sense to rediret Metrolinx's spending, then he wouldn't be building the Sheppard or Danforth subway extensions.

I've seen no indication that Metrolinx is going to transfer funding from York Viva like Ford promised.

Ford announced during the campaign itself that if it didn't make financial sense to rediret Metrolinx's spending, then he wouldn't be building the Sheppard or Danforth subway extensions.

I've seen no indication that Metrolinx is going to transfer funding from York Viva like Ford promised.

It's not Metrolinx that has any power. It's the provincial government. And McGuinty already said he's open to discussion on transit issues.

It's not Metrolinx that has any power. It's the provincial government. And McGuinty already said he's open to discussion on transit issues.

It's not Ford who McGuinty is going to talk to, it's the TTC chair. The front-runners for the TTC chair indicated they firmly support Metrolinx's plans. Even Michael Thompson supports the SELRT, and elements of Metrolinx's plans.

Last edited:

Back