News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Lots of whining in comments on articles about this. Hopefully the whiners do stay away, and then it won't be so crowded for the rest of us.

And lots of people whining about it being too crowded. It's a big city what do you expect? So Toronto.

It's an awesome event, and I'm glad it's open longer this year; I went a few times last year. I've got friends coming into town just because of it.

And lots of people whining about it being too crowded. It's a big city what do you expect? So Toronto.

Have you been on one of the crowded days? It's literally too crowded, to the point where you are better off not going at all. That isn't a good thing.

Hopefully this $5 entry fee solves that issue. I'm willing to pay to get in if it means being able to get into the beer gardens and actually be able to enjoy the atmosphere as opposed to being stuck in a mob of people that can barely move. It really is a great event, and one best enjoyed when there is space to enjoy it.

I spent last Christmas in Spain and attended many Christmas Markets which weren't nearly as busy, but they were much more enjoyable for that reason. You could grab a glass of mulled wine without waiting an hour to get in, and then waiting in line to get the mulled wine. You could take your time to shop instead of always feeling like you are in the way, and you could just sit and enjoy the atmosphere and entertainment without being pushed and shoved by people trying to get through.

Hopefully the popularity of the Distillery Christmas Market leads to many more similar markets scattered throughout the core. This should help with crowding immensely. (the square outside Union Station will likely be a popular spot this year, especially if modeled like the Distillery's market)

I'm with gabe on this one. So Toronto for people to go out of their way to bitch and moan about a successful event. Of course it's crowded. If that's not your scene, go when it is less crowded, or attend other events instead. But people seem to resent the very fact that it's "too crowded" and somehow can only see it as a problem that needs solving. If it's too crowded for you, don't go. Problem solved.

ETA: I get that if it's too crowded, it can be unpleasant. I don't mean to be dismissive of that. I am frustrated that the first place Torontonians (not anyone here -- referring to the new article commentators) typically go is to complain and cloak everything in negativity.

ETA2: Christmas by Lamplight at Black Creek Pioneer Village is lovely, by the way, for anyone looking for less busy alternatives.

Last edited:
I'm with gabe on this one. So Toronto for people to go out of their way to bitch and moan about a successful event. Of course it's crowded. If that's not your scene, go when it is less crowded, or attend other events instead. But people seem to resent the very fact that it's "too crowded" and somehow can only see it as a problem that needs solving. If it's too crowded for you, don't go. Problem solved.

It's not really a case of bitching and moaning about a successful event when the crowding detracts from the success. Obviously it is turning a lot of people away from the event, and presents an opportunity for organizers to raise money for charity and re-invest back into the market. Only good will come out of this move.

I edited my comment before you posted, Tuscani, to clarify that I wasn't trying to be dismissive of the whole too crowded = unpleasant thing. But I don't see people turning away from the event as a bad thing - that's the only way you'll see other events elsewhere. And the commentators that we were discussing were definitely bitching and moaning. Most were quite unconstructive. But I agree with you that the cover charge is a good thing.

The Toronto Christmas Market was a free event, and still is for the majority of days of the week. As a not-for-profit event, I don't think $5 is unreasonable as a donation/entrance fee. Of course, everybody wants something for nothing and more often than not, things that are free come with a downside. For this event, it was the sheer volume of people who converged to a relatively small area with a limited amount of capacity. Let the whiners whine.

It's not really a case of bitching and moaning about a successful event when the crowding detracts from the success. Obviously it is turning a lot of people away from the event, and presents an opportunity for organizers to raise money for charity and re-invest back into the market. Only good will come out of this move.
As the organizers say, they are the victim of their own success.

Frankly, it's exactly like the "Night at the Market" event at the St Lawrence Market except that the Distillery Market is still free 5 days a week. Until a couple of years ago the St Lawrence Market event used to be free and it attracted huge crowds and was, frankly, not very pleasant. A couple of years ago they changed it to a charity fund-raiser for FoodShare Toronto. The last one (2013?) was fantastic, lots of great food, entertainment you could see and hear and $$ for a good cause This year's one is tomorrow, see you there! Tickets at: stlawrencemarket.com.

Have you been on one of the crowded days? It's literally too crowded, to the point where you are better off not going at all. That isn't a good thing.

Hopefully this $5 entry fee solves that issue. I'm willing to pay to get in if it means being able to get into the beer gardens and actually be able to enjoy the atmosphere as opposed to being stuck in a mob of people that can barely move. It really is a great event, and one best enjoyed when there is space to enjoy it.

Hopefully the popularity of the Distillery Christmas Market leads to many more similar markets scattered throughout the core. This should help with crowding immensely. (the square outside Union Station will likely be a popular spot this year, especially if modeled like the Distillery's market)

I have been on a weekend and it was packed. Even with the crowds of people, it didn't stop me from enjoying the market. A lot of events in Toronto attract thousands of people. Life in a big city. The people that detest crowds so much, should just stay home.

with a $5 entry fee you're still going to have to deal with crowds and being stuck in a mob of people. One way to reduce crowds, is do what the art galleries do with special exhibits, offer timed entry tickets. That way you don't get thousands of people showing up at once. People can book a head and get tickets for what ever time slot is available.

More Christmas markets around the city would be great.

Last edited:
So I went to the Toronto Christmas Market this weekend and it was great. There were a lot of people, a lot of happy smiley faces, everyone having a good time. There was an excellent overall vibe and lots of cameras and selfies going on, as you can certainly imagine.

Despite there being a lot of people, I never found it to be overcrowded at all. This was on a Saturday, of course. We most definitely enjoyed our late night stroll.

So I went to the Toronto Christmas Market this weekend and it was great. There were a lot of people, a lot of happy smiley faces, everyone having a good time. There was an excellent overall vibe and lots of cameras and selfies going on, as you can certainly imagine.

Despite there being a lot of people, I never found it to be overcrowded at all. This was on a Saturday, of course. We most definitely enjoyed our late night stroll.

So, the weekend charges seem to be working. Last year it was a ZOO at weekends.

Back