News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There will be no whales, seals -- or any mammals for that matter -- at Ripley's Aquarium.

Yes no 'flipper', orcas, belugas or seals from what I have read. As for fish- modern fishing fleets, longliners and factory ships have effectively fished out 90% of larger fish species already according to some researchers, so any aquarium that devotes some measure of education and conservation of our oceans as part of its mandate is a positive thing.

It's good to hear there will no whales, sea lions and other creatures like this at the Aquarium.

I was at Marineland and Game Farm a few years back and it was heartbreaking. Not that fish don't count, but they are much smaller and seem to handle captivity better than Killer Whales and Dolphins.

But the all mighty Shedd Aquarium in Chicago has whales. However, it's quite funny how some here portray it as the best of the best and these same people say Toronto's aquarium will be a gimmick.

Yes the shedd keeps pacific white-sided dolphins. This species of dolphin adapts well to captivity, however I don't agree with keeping them at all. I think in the other thread, those, including myself, who used the Shedd as an example of an outstanding aquarium, were thinking in terms of location and appearance of the facilities and not the particular exhibits. That said I believe the shedd does have a very good research and educational mandate. There are about 50 pacific white-sided dolphins in captivity in the world, an estimated 50,000-90,000 were killed for food and as by-catch in the past 20 years. I guess the shedd hopes their exhibit will help preserve them through education and endearing them to the crowds. Apparently they had a baby dolphin die this summer.

Last edited:
Anyone that's ever ventured into the world of Aquaria, and especially Salt water Aquaria as a hobby can tell you the absurd amount of energy and inputs to maintain a healthy livestock.

For all the feel good environmental initiatives that this city tries to implement, it will be peanuts compared to the amount of electricity and water that will be required to maintain the aquarium, warm, bright, and chemically balanced.

We are not a costal city, why would we even go down that avenue is rediculous. The Aquarium will require it's own coal fired power plant just to keep it going.

Where is the supposedly 'Toronto Environmental Alliance' now?

They typically do require a lot of energy, I'm not sure if modern facilities address that better than in the past. I think the Vancouver aquarium has done a lot to be green and efficient, it might in fact have LEED status, but perhaps the criteria is relative to other aquariums which tend to use a lot of energy. I disagree that it is 'rediculous' to have an aquarium in Toronto, we are a marine city on one of the world's largest lakes which is full of aquatic life..or certainly used to be anyway.

We're not a coastal city? OK, fine. But we're on a shore.

What's that big body of water to the south? A pool? I'm even pretty sure that I've seen fish in it. But maybe they're just kids wearing flippers and water-wings.

Last edited:
Um.. that body of water to the south is a lake... the proposed aquarium will be housing marine life. It's 2 completely different habitats.

This isn't a bunch of koi ponds they are proposing. I'm sure their main attacttion won't be local bass and sun perch.

Google what it takes to maintain a 'coral reef'. From heating the 'salt' (which they will need to ship in from the coast, continuously) water to replicating the the tropical sun with industrial Metal Hallide (think a GIANT tanning salon)...

and also, LEED only refers to the general areas (hall way lights, low flush toilets, building insulation ).

To house and maintain coral reef (which I'm sure will be the main attraction), you essentially need to replicate a tropical climate, and maintain all the mineral exchanges that happen in our vast oceans. It will require enough input to maintain a small city.

Back