News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I only eat Canadian (and mostly Ontarian) produce....all year...

Ok, I was all ready to 'like' this post.........and then you went too far.

I love supporting local food and eating seasonal to an extent.........

But I am not giving up Broccoli for 8 months of the year!

Ok, I was all ready to 'like' this post.........and then you went too far.

I love supporting local food and eating seasonal to an extent.........

But I am not giving up Broccoli for 8 months of the year!

Soft.

It's actually not bad at all. Tomatoes non-stop, for example. I'm fine. I only eat veggies in a salad daily and then a side of fish so my simple diet makes it work.

I haven't had broccoli at home in years.

I will leave a supermarket if they have only Mexican tomatoes in January. Bye!

Canada Goose are focusing more on their own stores and ecommerce while shifting away from distributors and other retailers:

I am somewhat biased against buying certain food products from certain countries with perceived lower food safety standards (or less of a culture of compliance with those standards). Pickles from India comes to mind, but there's also dairy/meat products from the US and so on.

Maple syrup harvest hits record high in 2020; sales also rise

December 10, 2020

Canada's maple syrup harvest hit a record high of 14.3 million gallons this year, despite shutdowns during the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic, Statistics Canada said on Thursday.

This year's harvest was 8.3 per cent higher than the 2019 record of 13.2 million gallons, pushing syrup sales up 7.9 per cent to $558.5 million this year.

Exports of Canadian maple syrup jumped nearly 22 per cent compared with 2019 in the first nine months of the year, much faster than the gains of 3.2 per cent between 2018 and 2019, the report said.

Quebec producers saw the lion's share of the gains, with yields falling in 6.2 per cent in New Brunswick, 6.9 per cent Ontario and 20.7 per cent in Nova Scotia.

Cancelled local festivals and breakfast events took a toll on smaller sugar shacks, but Quebec firms were boosted by good spring weather and more taps, Statistics Canada found.

Quebec, where prices are controlled by the Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers, produces almost three-quarters of the global maple syrup supply, and accounts for 90 per cent of Canadian maple syrup production.

While the price in Quebec remained at $38.55 per gallon, other producers saw prices fall. Sales of Nova Scotia syrup fell by a fourth to $2.8 million, in part due to lower prices for bulk syrup, the report said. In New Brunswick, prices fell $2.05 per gallon to $36.78.

Statistics Canada noted that like many other industries, syrup producers have had to adjust to the COVID-19 pandemic. In Quebec, harvesters reported new ways of delivering barrels and cleaning equipment, while other firms turned to online sales and phone banking with farm visits on hold in the spring.

Last edited:
Limited quantity of Ontario icewine to likely make 2020 bottles in high demand

December 28, 2020

The smallest ever recorded amount of Ontario grapes designated for icewine is likely to create a high demand for 2020 bottles of the super sweet treat.

VQA Ontario, the province's wine regulator, reported just more than 1,000 tonnes of grapes registered for icewines this year, down from almost 6,000 tonnes last year.

It's a record low since the agency began regulating the icewine harvest 20 years ago, VQA Ontario said.

"A combination of high quality and limited quantity will likely make 2020 wines in high demand," said the agency's executive director Laurie Macdonald.

---------
Wineries are choosing to make table wine, instead of leaving grapes on the vine to make icewine, said Magdalena Kaiser, public relations director of the Winery Marketing Association of Ontario.

The pandemic has affected wine export in all international markets, said Kaiser.

Ontario icewines are mostly purchased by tourists travelling to Canada, she said.

"Because of COVID and people not travelling to the country, sales have been in decline," Kaiser said.

"There have been challenges around icewine this year so wineries are not necessarily needing to make as much as they would have."

Above website lists made in Canada products

I check out labels and try Canada first where possible

"By Canadians, for Canadians. Spend your money wisely."

Because they know we're bound to break the bank anyways!

Thanks for the link, I'm curious to see what I will find.

Back