News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I avoid it because it's impossible to determine what companies (if not all) are related to the CCP which is a fascist authoritarian state organ that operates concentration camp and I may have taken "Never Again" seriously, unlike most of our politicians, for example. I also live in a Tibetan neighbourhood and grew up with a lot of friends from HK. I hate the CCP. Oh, and Chinese food standards are untrustworthy.....aaaand, why would I buy from that gang of goons when all they've been doing in the last year is threatening us?

How do I do it? By reading labels and stubbornly refusing any product from China. I also don't buy a lot of things and there is always a like product made elsewhere. I'll pay more to buy from somewhere that doesn't oppress its people. I don't care to support fascist swine just to save a penny or two. That's just desperation or poor character.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel disgusted with myself when I buy anything that says "made in China" on it for the same reasons you listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel disgusted with myself when I buy anything that says "made in China" on it for the same reasons you listed.

So stop doing things that make you feel disgusted with yourself. :p

You can do it.....I quit smoking cold turkey when I started feeling disgusted with myself. Quitting "Made in China" should probably be easier and quitting smoking was easy enough.

Absolutely disgusting a multi billion dollar company doesn't care about its workers. I have a store near me, their employees go in and out like a revolving door. They get treated like crap.

Anyone know why they are essential? They sell crap on a good day and nobody really needs discount, low quality housewares during a pandemic

Anyone know why they are essential? They sell crap on a good day and nobody really needs discount, low quality housewares during a pandemic

They do sell packaged/ canned foods, bottled drinks and cleaning supplies. A lot of people are out of work and are on tight budgets. I went to Shoppers Drug Mart this morning to pick up some medication and i did some food shopping. My god that store is ridiculously expensive!! I can see why the dollar stores are so busy. But i still will not go near a Dollarama.

They do sell packaged/ canned foods, bottled drinks and cleaning supplies. A lot of people are out of work and are on tight budgets. I went to Shoppers Drug Mart this morning to pick up some medication and i did some food shopping. My god that store is ridiculously expensive!! I can see why the dollar stores are so busy. But i still will not go near a Dollarama.

True. I find Dollarama at or around the same price as Walmart with less selection however.

Shoppers is overpriced but they sell speciality items.

Shoppers is only worth it IMO when they have deals going on. Which is when their prices become comparable to other stores like Wal-Mart, and I'd stock up on shampoo or body wash. I'd also rather go there instead of Rexall to take advantage of the Optimum Points.

The closest Wal-Mart to me is the one at Dufferin Mall and I've avoided going there for a month now. Dollarama is fine for simple household things like cleaning supplies and plastic storage containers. Items like plastic/cling wrap and aluminum foil can be found for quite cheaper than at grocery stores, even the branded stuff too. I'd pop in there once a while to pick up snacks like crackers and cookies.

Shoppers is only worth it IMO when they have deals going on. Which is when their prices become comparable to other stores like Wal-Mart, and I'd stock up on shampoo or body wash. I'd also rather go there instead of Rexall to take advantage of the Optimum Points.

The closest Wal-Mart to me is the one at Dufferin Mall and I've avoided going there for a month now. Dollarama is fine for simple household things like cleaning supplies and plastic storage containers. Items like plastic/cling wrap and aluminum foil can be found for quite cheaper than at grocery stores, even the branded stuff too. I'd pop in there once a while to pick up snacks like crackers and cookies.

Just avoid the Walmart at Dufferin mall - the lineup is always a solid 100-200 deep. Such insanity.

Just avoid the Walmart at Dufferin mall - the lineup is always a solid 100-200 deep. Such insanity.

That's if they have anything you need in stock. I find that particular Walmart only has the cheapest stuff and most of it is house brand.

Yep, totally expected the Wal-Mart at Dufferin Mall to be a complete gongshow so I haven't set foot in there for over a month now. It was already a frustrating place at times under normal circumstance. I remember the week or two before the pandemic frenzy started, they had toilet paper, detergent, and bleach on sale. Otherwise, I was already fairly stocked up on these things.

I did go a couple times in the opening days of when the social distancing protocols first started and grabbed a bunch of body washes, large containers of hand soap, canned fish (pandemic or no pandemic I like my sardines, mackerel and herring lol), and noodles, etc. But since then I've been fine with going to my nearby Food Basics and Freshco for groceries.

I passed by the Wal-Mart at Stockyards a couple weeks ago, there was a line although it seemed somewhat more reasonable. Been a while since I've visited them, but the ones at Keele & Lawrence and Keele near Finch weren't too bad. The K&L one was where I'd always go load up on stuff before heading up for camping. There's also an LCBO and Metro at the same plaza so that's pretty much everything I'd need.

Last edited:
Typically it would have been for the Hot Docs Cinema, but folks lining up instead for the Dollarama at Bloor & Bathurst:

20200523_100029.jpg

Back