40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

WislaHD

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Don Valley gondola could lift Toronto tourism
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...alley-gondola-could-lift-toronto-tourism.html

That is the $20- to $25-million proposal for Toronto’s first gondola being floated by a private company called Bullwheel International Cable Car Corp.

Envisioned as a major tourist attraction, the Don Valley cable car could be up and running in three or four years, although that is an aggressive timeline, admits the company’s CEO. It would be built and operated without public money.

He calls the gondola “recreational infrastructure” similar to the Toronto Island ferries. A round-trip ride would cost about $10 on average. Tourists will pay more than locals, and there would be annual and family passes.

It would take about eight minutes to make the 1 km trip down the Don Valley. The gondola would be capable of making the trip in about half that time travelling up to five metres per second. But most of the time, it would actually travel at half speed “so people have more of a recreational experience,” said Bullwheel Cable Car Corp. CEO Steven Dale.

Brick Works, an environmental community centre, attracts up to 3,000 visitors a day on a busy weekend to its farmer’s market, skating rink, cafe and connecting ravine trails. Many of the 500,000 annual visitors come by car. There is a shuttle bus from Broadview station, a service that costs the registered charity $20,000 a month and ensures tenants, visitors and staff can connect to the TTC.

There would be about 40 fully accessible cabins, complete with bike racks. It would take only about eight minutes via gondola to make the 1 km trip down the Don Valley. A heated, fully-accessible cabin, would take off about every 15 to 30 seconds from two stations — one cantilevered at Playter Gardens near the Broadview subway station and another at the west parking lot of the Brick Works.

Bullwheel estimates about 225,000 to 515,000 people a year would ride the gondola. There could be up to 1,500 riders per day during weekend peaks.

“Except for very rare events like Taste of the Danforth, the system will always be running at under maximum capacity and that’s intentional and very common in the cable car industry,” he said.

That sounds like a potential white elephant, although if it's really going to be done without public money and doesn't mess with the Don trails, I guess it could be okay.

I'm wondering, though, if it wouldn't be easier to build a pedestrian bridge off the Chester Hill lookout down to the valley trails and then create a connection from there over the Don and across Bayview.

We need to showcase our ravines more. I don't want a pedestrian bridge that may be easier to build. I want a gondola.

I like the concept and I agree that it'd be an exciting addition to the city.

I'm curious as to how the different fares would work. How would one identify themselves as a local or a tourist? How would this be enforced? Would it really be a financial detriment to simply charge the same fare regardless of where you're from?

I like this idea. Gondolas have a lot of potential to move moderate amounts of people across terrain that's difficult to build "fixed" infrastructure (roads, rail, etc) on.

One other option I'd like to see explored is that as the method to connect to the Toronto Islands. I'd be interested in seeing the capital cost of building that vs buying new ferries, and the ongoing operational costs of both. Would also make for some incredible views.

I'm curious as to how the different fares would work. How would one identify themselves as a local or a tourist? How would this be enforced? Would it really be a financial detriment to simply charge the same fare regardless of where you're from?

That's a good question. Maybe having a Presto card or Metropass? I'd assume most people would take the TTC to get there, considering the lack of parking around the proposed Danforth station.

You just show proof of residence. A hydro bill, a driver's licence. Charging a Presto card could work (though it would then let Ottawa residents ride on the discounted rate). This is not uncommon: the Detroit Institute of Arts is free for Metro Detroit residents; some Las Vegas attractions are cheaper for Nevada or Clark County residents.

I like this idea. Gondolas have a lot of potential to move moderate amounts of people across terrain that's difficult to build "fixed" infrastructure (roads, rail, etc) on.

One other option I'd like to see explored is that as the method to connect to the Toronto Islands. I'd be interested in seeing the capital cost of building that vs buying new ferries, and the ongoing operational costs of both. Would also make for some incredible views.

That's a good question. Maybe having a Presto card or Metropass? I'd assume most people would take the TTC to get there, considering the lack of parking around the proposed Danforth station.

Gondola to islands would be a huge attraction

Gondola to islands would be a huge attraction

Route - Exhibition GO Station to Ontario Place to Islands - future extension to Portlands/Villers Island and up to the new GO Station at Sunlight. I think YTZ might cause problems one way or another though.

AoD

Route - Exhibition GO Station to Ontario Place to Islands - future extension to Portlands/Villers Island and up to the new GO Station at Sunlight. I think YTZ might cause problems one way or another though.

AoD

Definitely something that could open up the Portlands, provide easier access to the Spit (but not too much access!) and maybe even Ward's Island ...

Whoa, the site has a lot of info and nice artwork. Looks like this has been planned for quite some time. I personally can't imagine it costing their quoted price, because I believe there'd be extraneous costs (basically burying the transmission line and removing the hydro pylons for that section of valley - which would probably cost +$25M right there). But I definitely think something to connect Brickworks is worth discussing. The City is improving the cycling and path network, but a more direct route for those not wanting to trek is not without merit. This is definitely an interesting proposal...

map-postcard-4x61000.jpg

Summer-Postcard-4x6new1000.jpg

I personally can't imagine it costing their quoted price, because I believe there'd be extraneous costs (basically burying the transmission line and removing the hydro pylons for that section of valley - which would probably cost +$25M right there).
The hydro lines that go under the bridge? Presumably you keep the cable car at the same elevation as Danforth until you have crossed over the hydro wires.

So I've been thinking and looking at google images of gondolas. Wouldn't a aerial tramway work better for this? For some reason I think a gondola would stick out in the background of the Don Valley due to the number of compartments on it and ruin the natural beauty of the ravine (think a string of pearls). An aerial tramway would only be two vehicles and the cables. Don't have much info on cost comparison though.

Back