News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It’s transit niche could be stitching 2 far flung neighbourhoods together free of traffic.
But only likely to be built if there are people wanting to travel between these 2 'far-flung neighbourhoods" Transit planning cannot be done by looking at a map and saying 'why is there no direct way between A and B?

Then a bridge between 2 important points that's not too far off. Some kind of fast direct shuttle service.

Last edited:
So...is this project ever going to happen? They made it sound very easy to install.

I hope not because this is the dumbest idea ever.

“Hey let’s pick two random points in the city that are already connected by TTC and build an ugly gondola between them! Sounds brilliant.”

I'd actually argue that it is a good idea. Connecting TTC's line 2 to the Brickworks in my mind would make more people use the facilities. It would be a scenic trip, and would be easier than using the bus, could move more things like bikes, and could run more frequently . Also, if it is built 100% with private money (and potentially had PRESTO integration), I'd back it.

Interestingly, the company proposing it also seemed to have other ideas for uses, like having some gondola cars dedicated to dinner trips, as seen below. I think the idea is dead however, as we haven't seen more info, and their Twitter account doesn't respond anymore.

Night-Postcard-4x6new-1000.jpg

It’s transit niche could be stitching 2 far flung neighbourhoods together free of traffic.

But only likely to be built if there are people wanting to travel between these 2 'far-flung neighbourhoods" Transit planning cannot be done by looking at a map and saying 'why is there no direct way between A and B?

Thorncliffe and Flemingdon Park come to mind? Maybe incorporating the Ontario Science Centre.

I think the idea is dead however, as we haven't seen more info, and their Twitter account doesn't respond anymore.
Alas, it was fun while it lasted. At least we now have a general all-purpose gondola thread now.

Seems like the system in La Paz is generating something like 70,000 daily riders, which is quite impressive. If we had an equivalently used system charging the standard $3 fare, with the very minimum maintenance/labour costs of gondolas, we would be making $210,000 of daily revenue.

But, the hourly capacity (using La Paz' numbers, 10-seat cars every 10 seconds) is restricted to 3,600 which would be inadequate for the waterfront unless we build multiple lines on the same corridor.

Also, I worry about accessibility, and I do not mean physical. A lot of people suffer from a fear of heights (myself included) and vertigo, etc. Taking a gondola might not be something they want to do to replace their commute.

It's also important to remember the context: La Paz literally has no other option. It's a city the size of Vancouver with a 500 meter slope in the middle of it. They're not doing this because it's a particularly good or cheap way of moving people, they're doing it because every good way of moving people is impractical - light and heavy rail can't deal with the slope, and there's too much traffic going up and down the mountain to make buses practical (they only have six roads and one freeway to get up and down).

If there was a way to bring the streetcar from Broadview station up to this area that would certainly be a gamechanger. In the future, a service going from the Port Lands to Brickworks. Can't really see how though. There's been talk of one day maybe extending the streetcar tracks on Parliament up to Castle Frank. From there I don't see how it could reach Brickworks either. Anything else seems like an express service going from...Union(?), just to serve one park. Which I think is far fetched.

Right now Metrolinx does seem to have an idea to use the tracks (and bridge I believe) to store trains for an electrified system. That will likely ruffle feathers once it gets notice since it appears they want to have employee parking and facilities right under the Viaduct.

Back