News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I see there was a conversation going on about Nord See (could not participate at the time as I was about 13 and starting high school).

That is absolutely my favourite fast food place in Germany. When I spent a week in Munich I ate there daily!

Seeing as how we are bringing this thread back... I think I spent a grand there over my 4 years at Ryerson. Amazing food. Any time I am in the area I pop in for a bite.

I know I've mentioned it before but I needed to repost it because it's an important addition to the downtown eating scene. I've had lots of great Middle Eastern food... in England, NYC, etc. Toronto seemed to be lacking the high quality doner kebab sandwiches that these locales had. And then it happened. Doner Kebabs opened on the south-east corner of Yonge/Gerrard and my prayers were answered. You will not find a better doner kebab sandwich in the city. Ganja tips: get the veal sandwich (not chicken), get the sandwich (not the plate) and ask for extra hot sauce. Toronto is in the doner kebab big leagues now...

I would recommend Folia Grill at 1031 Pape ave. They have the best Gyro's (pork and chicken) in the city. Gyro's of course are the Greek version of Shawarma. I think you would be hard pressed to find a tastier pita wrap sandwich in the city.

http://foliagrill.com/wordpress1/menu/pitas-sticks/

5VKJiL4BEP8iRN-640m.jpg

urbanspoon.com

I complete agree, and have said so elsewhere on this forum. MUCH better than the overcowded overrated Messinis (sp?) on the Danforth. Louis Meats is good but there's nowhere to sit and so sides. Alexandros used to be good but, aside from its patio, not so good anymore.

Last edited:
In an inebriated state one Saturday night, I asked a guy selling doners on Yonge Street if they were "those things from Halifax". He seemed confused and explained it was Turkish food. I haven't yet tried the Halifax version.

In an inebriated state one Saturday night, I asked a guy selling doners on Yonge Street if they were "those things from Halifax". He seemed confused and explained it was Turkish food. I haven't yet tried the Halifax version.

You cannot find the Halifax version in Toronto and I don't understand why because it would be very popular especially with the bar crowd. Essentially it is a Greek Gyro with a sweet sauce in place of garlicky tzatziki sauce. Supposedly you can get an authentic Halifax Donair in Milton but I haven't tried it yet.

You cannot find the Halifax version in Toronto and I don't understand why because it would be very popular especially with the bar crowd. Essentially it is a Greek Gyro with a sweet sauce in place of garlicky tzatziki sauce. Supposedly you can get an authentic Halifax Donair in Milton but I haven't tried it yet.

The Fuzz Box on Danforth supposedly has authentic Halifax-style donairs. I've eaten there (and liked it), but I've never had a donair in Halifax so I can't say how authentic it is. It seems to get a fair bit of love on Chowhound and Yelp, though.

The Fuzz Box on Danforth supposedly has authentic Halifax-style donairs. I've eaten there (and liked it), but I've never had a donair in Halifax so I can't say how authentic it is. It seems to get a fair bit of love on Chowhound and Yelp, though.

I tried the Fuzz Box when it opened and it was tasty but not authentic. The meat was prepared in meat-loaf tins inside an oven not from a vertical spit so the texture was way off with the meat crumbling like meat loaf. I would have it again if not for the fact that the portion was so small for the money. This was over a year ago so I don't know if they have since invested in a proper vertical spit and have found a source for proper cones.

The one at Yonge+Gerrard is fantastic and pretty cheap as well. Dinner is great and a whole lotta food.

I would recommend Folia Grill at 1031 Pape ave. They have the best Gyro's (pork and chicken) in the city. Gyro's of course are the Greek version of Shawarma. I think you would be hard pressed to find a tastier pita wrap sandwich in the city.

http://foliagrill.com/wordpress1/menu/pitas-sticks/

5VKJiL4BEP8iRN-640m.jpg

urbanspoon.com

Folia Grill has become the only place we go to for gyros. We were back there yesterday and noticed an extensive new menu. Fried calamari, marinated octopus, saganaki (and other Greek cheese specialties), etc. The folks behind the counter are Albanian via England. We stuck to our usual gyros orders -- and still insist they're the best in Toronto -- but added a side of tzatziki to our fried for dunking. We also asked for no fries in our pitas, a practice we find makes for too starchy gyros.

You can find the Halifax version in Toronto I forgot the name of the restaurant it's located close to Eglinton Station

Back