News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What is your prefere alignment for a new E/W subway through Downtown

• Total voters
Every thing you've listed as a con for the more westerly alignment and pro for the easterly one could easily be flip-flopped.

Pape is low density compared to Coxwell (maps posted here say otherwise) and wouldn't change after a subway but Coxwell would?

Local bus service would be eliminated? Really? (It wouldn't be and shouldn't) Why would Pape "need its local bus service" but not Coxwell?

Of course the big con that you did not mention is completely bypassing Thorncliffe Park.

The densest areas along the Pape alignment would already have subway stops serving them if we were to extend the DRL to Coxwell; the existing Pape-Danforth Stn and inevitable Carlaw-Queen Stn as Pape Ave in of itself is just a minor street until it reaches Danforth. No Gerrard-Pape stop is not at a lost for 2 reasons; one Gerrard is not skipped, the stop just occurs along a part of the corridor that actually comprises a viable streetscape (Little India). As opposed to Gerrard Square Mall which discourages a walking culture along the streetfront because patrons are now forced indoors to shop retail. The other reason: if the point of such a station is to alott a direct interchange between the DRL and GO Transit, such an oppurtunity already exists @Queen-Broadview.

Other than that, I readily admit my argument could be flip-flopped to an extent. However the greater rationale behind using Coxwell vs. Pape-Millwood-Overlea is to shorten the overall length of bus/streetcar trips coming in from the east, converting many former B-D riders into new DRL riders-- in the process alleviating B-D. Southwestern Scarborough/Beaches/East York Centre/Woodbine Gardens (O'Connor north of St. Clair) easily has over double the ridership base one could hope for netting from the more westernly alignment. And while Pape will continue to urbanize with or without the subway (most acheivable via keeping the transit stops close-knit), the DRL truly could initiate density growth and urban infill throughout the neglected East Toronto area. Forward, socially progressive thinking.

Lastly, Overlea-Don Mills Stn would only be approx. 800m to the east of Thorncliffe Park Dr. A feeder network of buses can easily cover that distance in under a minute flat (all that separates the 2 points is a bridge). If demands need be, a streetcar could operate back and forth between East York Town Ctr Mall, the apartments along Thorncliffe Pk Dr and the subway @Don Mills; effectively an abridged higher-order transit version of the 81 bus.

I wish this talk of a rail corridor/Union alignment would end. Sure it's cheaper but it would be a false economy.

Toronto is a grid city, like Manhattan, and the subways should be aligned with the streets providing both transport and an impetus for density. Look at how the Spadina subway languished for years in the middle of the Allen, doing nothing for the streetscapes there. It blows my mind that St. Clair West Station is not at the corner of Bathurst and St. Clair. Even the Bloor-Danforth subway feels disconnected from the street and maybe that's why Danforth west of Pape is so underdeveloped.

Furthermore, waterfront neighbourhoods, many of which have not been built, will be well served by Transit City, while King, Queen, Dundas and College residents (I am one) will wait another fifty years for a streetcar that never comes.

Are people coming from the east or west ends going to Union? I seriously doubt it. Union is a hub, not a destination.

Personally I favour the Queen alignment. Queen Street runs right across downtown in a straight line (imagine!), passes right through the heart of the civic centre, is a ten minute walk from the Dundas and King cars, and already has the density ready to support ridership. To those who point out the decline in 501 ridership, I'd say that many middle class people who live in these neighbourhoods (the very ones who need to be coaxed out of their cars to make this work) and have given up trying to get around town in a timely manner on the TTC would come roaring back.

The King alignment means going under Eastern in the east end. Have you been there lately? There's not much of a there there. Neither Richmond, nor Adelaide nor Wellington makes it to Roncesvalles, nor are these destination streets.

While I'm ranting, why Pape for the eastern terminus? Pape is a tiny little street south of Bloor. Coxwell makes more sense to me.

So to sum up, my favoured alignment is Coxwell/Queen/Roncesvalles. Subways should go where people are and where people want to go. Why is that so difficult for our politicians and planners to understand?

Often forgotten is the redevelopment potential of the Queen (or king) alignment. Development doesn't just happen on empty lands. There are plenty of underused former industrial buildings along Queen, especially east of downtown, which can see huge investment. Not condo towers, but something more like whats been happening for the last decade around Queen/King/Spadina.

Some people make it seem like Queen Street is surrounded by two storey Victorian homes from one end to the next, but its just not true. It could really support some great urban developments which aren't endless generic condos.

^ The city has declared most of the neighbourhoods along Queen as stable neighbourhoods not open to development. As long as the city maintains that stance and as long as most new development is occurring south of Queen (especially along the Waterfront) the new line should not be on Queen.

I wish this talk of a rail corridor/Union alignment would end. Sure it's cheaper but it would be a false economy.
As do I wish all this talk of a Queen alignment would end.

Really, Queen isn't as great a route that it was 100 years ago when the subway was first brought up. Even since 30 years ago, Queen has declined a lot as a good corridor for a subway. Basically the whole corridor has been filled up with well established areas, and there's really no room for new development or ridership expansion. A lot of parts of the route will be requiring local service, so the subway will either have to have abysmally small stop spacing (pretty much totally destroying the point of a relief line,) or it will require the 501 to continue running along it.

Toronto is a grid city, like Manhattan, and the subways should be aligned with the streets providing both transport and an impetus for density. Look at how the Spadina subway languished for years in the middle of the Allen, doing nothing for the streetscapes there. It blows my mind that St. Clair West Station is not at the corner of Bathurst and St. Clair. Even the Bloor-Danforth subway feels disconnected from the street and maybe that's why Danforth west of Pape is so underdeveloped.
Is it possible that that's because it was built along the Allen? Building transit lines along expressways is known to require a lot of planning and careful considerations into a number of factors, and when they built the Spadina line, they just said "Screw it!"

As you said, even places like St. Clair Station were placed very poorly, and quite frankly, that's from the TTC's own incompetence rather than anything wrong with building along preestablished corridors (which I'm assuming is one of your arguments even though half the Spadina line was actually tunneled rather than going along an expressway.)
And you cite the B-D being "separated" from the street east of Pape. I don't actually see much of a problem at all with the B-D, but it actually follows a street all the way to Main St. If you do have a problem with it, again, it's the TTC's own incompetence that made them so problemed as you claim.

Furthermore, waterfront neighbourhoods, many of which have not been built, will be well served by Transit City, while King, Queen, Dundas and College residents (I am one) will wait another fifty years for a streetcar that never comes.
Hey did I ever say King, Queen, Dundas and College don't need anything? I've noted several times that all those routes need improvement. A full blown Queen LRT, with an underground portion from Spadina to Parliment, separate lanes for the King car (if not a King transit mall,) HOV lanes on College, and TC-style LRT on Dundas are all things that I think should happen.

But the waterfront neighborhoods won't be "well served" by TC. If by TC, you mean the LRT lines that Waterfront Toronto's building, it'll be providing local service to Queens Quay and Cherry St. In Cherry Street's case, the "LRT" will be going back into mixed traffic on King to ferry people to the CBD.

Also, the area around the rail corridor is seeing the most intense development in the entire city right now. Really, the amount of people that'll be living in the area between Bathurst and the Don in the next 20 years will probably be equal to those living in all the Neighborhoods on Queen from Roncy to Coxwell or Woodbine. If you want to propose putting up 10 story (minimum!) condos in Leslieville or Queen West or Parkdale, then sure, Queen may have more development opportunity and may make more sense as a route that way, but really, I don't think anyone in their right mind would recommend that. Unless the tunneling would include the construction of 10 story underground condos? :p

Are people coming from the east or west ends going to Union? I seriously doubt it. Union is a hub, not a destination.
Union links to the YUS just as well as Osgoode/Queen would. In terms of CBD/destination worthy-ness, I actually think that Union is closer to the CBD than Queen is. Union is also a rather large railway station (in case you haven't noticed) that could link people with basically anywhere in the GTA.
So maybe it's not a destination per se, but it's actually rather important!

Personally I favour the Queen alignment.
Oh really? I hadn't noticed

Queen Street runs right across downtown in a straight line (imagine!), passes right through the heart of the civic centre, is a ten minute walk from the Dundas and King cars, and already has the density ready to support ridership. To those who point out the decline in 501 ridership, I'd say that many middle class people who live in these neighbourhoods (the very ones who need to be coaxed out of their cars to make this work) and have given up trying to get around town in a timely manner on the TTC would come roaring back.
ooh a straight line. The Railway alignment feels very embarrassed.

You see, the funny this is that you can't talk about the Railway's ridership because there's no real route operating on it right now.

Perhaps "the middle class people who live in these neighrborhoods" are just trying to find an excuse to showcase their pretty new convertibles?
Again, all the streetcar routes need to be made better. Queen experiences a huge amount of congestion during rushour, and streetcars only do to immerse that wound in a bucket of salt.
A subway might make things better, but as I said, it'd have to be a really local subway for it to work. Make the subway local, and suddenly the DRL doesn't work so well. This is the kind of logic that makes me think people just want a RT route on Queen instead of using Queen as a method of providing downtown relief. If you want a RT route on Queen, that's fine! But LRT would really be a much better way to solve that problem, when you factor in the relatively short travel distances and lack of real expansion for the area.

The King alignment means going under Eastern in the east end. Have you been there lately? There's not much of a there there. Neither Richmond, nor Adelaide nor Wellington makes it to Roncesvalles, nor are these destination streets.
Does it specifically need to follow one street the entire route? Oh right, Queen goes in a straight line so it automatically wins the alignment debate.

Oh and BTW, King/Front/Railway has Liberty Village and West/East Don Lands, which are emerging and planned neighborhoods respectively which definitely rival those of Queen. They might not be quite the talk of the metro right now, but in 10 years (when this thing's actually gonna get built,) they'll definitely be big.

While I'm ranting, why Pape for the eastern terminus? Pape is a tiny little street south of Bloor. Coxwell makes more sense to me.
Umm what? Coxwell is bigger than Pape? Pape is springing up with activity as of recent, and it'll be getting bigger.

Also, going up Pape means that you intercept the B-D when it'll have more passengers, which improves it's downtown relief capability.
And I don't wanna offend anybody, but Pape-Coxwell doesn't really have anything, whether you're going on the railway or on Queen. Going up Pape also means you get that rather large and dense neighrborhood (who's name has escaped me right now.) It also gives a much easier route to Thorncliffe Park, which I think is a very important area to hit.

So to sum up, my favoured alignment is Coxwell/Queen/Roncesvalles. Subways should go where people are and where people want to go. Why is that so difficult for our politicians and planners to understand?
I agree. That's why Front/Railway is a much better alignment than Queen.

Oh, and it'll be a lot cheaper.

There's plenty of development already planned or underway along the rail corridor. We can make an argument that these developments should be served by a subway. But one way or another they are going ahead, and will be served at least with a streetcar or LRT line.

The argument that a rail corridor alignment will somehow spark development is bogus. Nobody needs an incentive to invest in waterfront development.

First of all, if there is going to be an east-west line through downtown, it would have to be Queen, not King or Adelaide or Richmond. But as was mentioned, that would need to be its own project separate from the relief line (I've always thought it was part of Toronto's destiny to have Queen and Eglinton subways).
The DRL alignment along the waterfront makes sense if it is looked at in context of the development in the East Bayfront and West Donlands neighbourhoods, which is happening, check the plans on the waterfront site... also, going south of the rail corridor allows it to hit cityplace and liberty village.

Pape is the logical station to connect to the B-D; it's a major bus terminal and is the busiest station on the Danforth..

I totally agree that Queen should not be mixed in with the DRL. It's already been stated several times that Queen is a "stable neighborhood" and we can't touch it. So why put a subway somewhere that it can't spur development? Stupid. Railway corridor is definitely where it's happening right now. Union is the single most important station south of Bloor, it'd be silly to avoid it. Although if a Wellington alignment was chosen that might be acceptable if it's not a far walk.

But will the DRL spur development along the rail corridor? Is there any developer holding on to his lands until a subway station gets built next door?

Being along the lake and having plenty of land for generic glass boxes is all the incentive needed to develop that corridor.

In the urban structure plan, Queen is designated as an "Avenue" and the surrounding area is stable neighbourhoods.

This is the same situation as the Bloor-Danforth Line, Sheppard Line, Dundas West, St. Clair, much of Eglinton, Dundas, Yonge Street (from north of the midtown GO line to just south of Wilson) and lots of other intensification corridors.

In the land use plan, Queen is designated as a Mixed Use Area, surrounded generally by neigbourhoods (just like B-D and lots of other corridors). But Queen also is right besides a number of "Regeneration Areas"

Last edited:
But will the DRL spur development along the rail corridor? Is there any developer holding on to his lands until a subway station gets built next door?

Being along the lake and having plenty of land for generic glass boxes is all the incentive needed to develop that corridor.

Development has already been 'spured'.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dyna...1b08&second=46488956639c1&third=442c38f6aa681

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dyna...1b08&second=4648891d21b01&third=442c3d68acd91

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dyna...1b08&second=4637868526923&third=45abd9e029036

LRT is all that needed on the waterfront.

Cherry St will see a GO Station.

Sorry, but Queen is not a stable area and one has to look at stores to see this. It has been on going for over 20 years.

Union Station cannot handle increase of ridership on top of what been plan by GO now. To do it, you need to close Front St, York St and Bay St to deal with the pedestrian flow.

Having the line in between King and Queen in the core area will service everyone with a short walking distance.

Very few riders will be using GO or VIA to take them to where they want to go in the first place. Summertime is another story for weekends, but the new LRT lines from Broadview will deal with that issue.

Based on what on the books for GO/Metrolinx and the RTP, there is no way you are going to get access to the rail corridor or Union Station for the DRL.

You are not going to have as many stations on this line due to low ridership in the first place for some of these stations.

I still say the Don Mills/DRL should connect with Coxwell as it is a straight line and cheaper to build a bridge over the DVP.

I still say take the western leg over to Jane and straight up Jane since most of Jane will have to be in a tunnel in the first place.

The rail corridor was a good choice years ago and would have help to kill the Spadina extension, but it too late.

If it's the Dowtown Core Line maybe Queen would qualify. However, it's the Downtown Relief Line than whatever relieves Yonge-Bloor should determine the alignment.

From that perspective it seems less obvious to me how a subway on Queen would provide relief to Yonge-Bloor. Remember, every politician is proposing this as an alternative to funding a station rebuild of Yonge-Bloor. Since most of the ridership on southern YUS loop is concentrated below King. If that's where the ridership is, than it would make sense for the subway to be there.

The second important consideration is not what ridership is today. It's what it'll be a decade from now after the Bayfront and Don Lands are developed (or are being developed). Sure, there's a lot of regeneration areas off Queen but many of those would be served just as well with a subway along King or Wellington. But a subway along Queen does nothing for the hundreds of thousands of residents that are will be living along places like Liberty Village, the Don Lands, Bayfront, Cityplace, etc.

These two considerations to me would seem to work against Queen. First, it leads to tension between the need for a local service (which would mean more stations) as opposed to a quick subway line for commuters. The slower it is, the fewer riders it'll divert from Yonge-Bloor. Ditto for the further away it is from the commuters' final destinations. We don't want to spend billions on the DRL and then be forced to spend another billion rebuilding Yonge-Bloor anyway simply because it didn't attract enough riders. The second consideration only seems to make the case for Queen worse as well. Whil there's some development along Queen, it pales in comparison to what is in the pipeline for those waterfront neighbourhoods. That means the disparity in transit needs, transit use and ridership between the " South of Front" and the Queen street crowds is only going to get worse.

A stop at Bay and Adelaide or Wellington would do, and with underground access to both King and Union Stations to not have to bother to transfer trains just for one stop. And plus it's also close to King and Queen anyway.

Back