News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I agree it is interesting. I appreciate the Global News headline of a work in progress, as opposed to some of the overly negative and sensational news coverage of others.

It is accurate, it is a work in progress. I feel it is improving, but there is still a way to go. While I have some mixed feelings about the Sheriffs, I feel it is better for the province which has more money to pay to help deal with these problems. I do wish they would do more, not just policing, but this is one part of what is needed.

"Safety is a multi-level government issue, which means we need collaboration from both the municipal and federal governments to join us. For the City of Edmonton, we are asking that the safety responsibility on transit be shifted to EPS.

From the federal government, we are asking them once again, get back to the House of Commons to pass Bill C-48 to crack down on criminals let loose on bail. Alberta cannot wait any longer as we are seeing near daily random attacks on individuals simply going about their lives."

I agree it is interesting. I appreciate the Global News headline of a work in progress, as opposed to some of the overly negative and sensational news coverage of others.

It is accurate, it is a work in progress. I feel it is improving, but there is still a way to go. While I have some mixed feelings about the Sheriffs, I feel it is better for the province which has more money to pay to help deal with these problems. I do wish they would do more, not just policing, but this is one part of what is needed.
I believe some of the reason to continue with the Sheriffs is due to staffing shortages and poor recruitment still felt within EPS and Peace Officers.

I believe some of the reason to continue with the Sheriffs is due to staffing shortages and poor recruitment still felt within EPS and Peace Officers.
Perhaps that partly explains why I still don't see EPS around much downtown, despite the crime and all the coverage of it.

^Partly true but I am also concerned that Downtown isn't being prioritized from a resourcing perspective. However I have been seeing some Peace Officers on foot recently.

I hate complaining but our condo building has had two windows broken in our front entry just in the past 5 days, the most recent one this afternoon. Random vandalism, throwing rocks or bricks. Haven't had this level of problems and I've lived here for 25 years.
I’m looking at moving into Icon 1 next month and I’m honestly starting to think it’s a bad idea.

^104 Street is a fantastic place to live. The businesses are great, street programming, location, nearby park. I would not hesitate to live there. The City has really stepped up its game on cleaning.

I would just like to see some of these folks caught that think it's okay to vandalize property. We now suspect it might be one person. There are street-involved folks around, most keep to themselves. On a warm summer day it's bustling with residents and office workers.

Edmonton media blitz on crime + Calgary Stampede gang-bang + wildfire smoke = depressing week

I admit I've been a contributor of this negativity with my "struggle continues" posts in this thread and the LRT Safety thread. But if I go for a walk or a drive around around the town or in the river valley then all is well in Edmonton. And when I see what's happening in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa and Winnipeg, we're in a sweet spot.

Edmonton media blitz on crime + Calgary Stampede gang-bang + wildfire smoke = depressing week

I admit I've been a contributor of this negativity with my "struggle continues" posts in this thread and the LRT Safety thread. But if I go for a walk or a drive around around the town or in the river valley then all is well in Edmonton. And when I see what's happening in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa and Winnipeg, we're in a sweet spot.
Equal amount of crap happening in all cities worldwide…..including Canada and even YYC. Maybe YYC media downplays it a lot more? I watch Global YVR when I’m at work every day…..10X more crap happening there then in YEG…..just saying

Being real with you folks cause I assume you can handle it. I'm privy to a lot of what is going on Downtown. For my condo specifically, I've lived here for 25 years and we've NEVER had this level of issues. NEVER. Sometimes you gotta sound the alarm.

That said I do agree we need to change the narrative and talk about the positives, which a lot of people do myself included. I'm involved in a lot of the communications about what's amazing about our City and what's happening that's great. However once and a while you just feel you need to vent, I am extremely selective about what I complain about.

Back