News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I assumed they were waiting for news on the arena before going forward on more condos, but if they already have a deal with Marriott, I guess there's no point delaying that building.

I assumed they were waiting for news on the arena before going forward on more condos, but if they already have a deal with Marriott, I guess there's no point delaying that building.

Why does the arena make any difference ?

It's a major selling point in terms of local amenities. How much of a price difference it would actually make? I have no idea, but it would certainly signal that the neighbourhood will have more to offer than just a movie theatre and retail (even though the amount of planned retail IS twice the size of Markville Mall).

I personally can't wait for this to become an actual destination. but what exactly are their plans for connections to unionville station? it seems so disconnected to it right now.

That depends on the arena for now. If the arena is built, there will be a direct walkway connection. If not, this will happen eventually, but I'd imagine that the eastern portion of the site will the last to be developed.

but what exactly are their plans for connections to unionville station?

I was also wondering about this, as studies and other documents pertaining to the mobility hub are scarce, so I did some digging and found this detailed plan on the transit interchange and mobility hub design: http://www.scribd.com/doc/109717058...Hub-Technical-and-Functional-Study#fullscreen

Very interesting on how they plan to stuff everything underground :rolleyes:

EDIT - found some more:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/109624884...-Adamson-Architects-and-Associates#fullscreen
http://www.scribd.com/doc/108644860/Markham-Live-MISTA-RFI-16-Mainstreet#fullscreen
http://www.scribd.com/doc/108647367/Markham-Live-Vision-Shaping-Our-Tomorrow#fullscreen <-- this is more related to Markham Live, but has some 407 transitway stuff in there

Last edited:
Some screenshot samples from the above documents:
8xYbjsv.jpg

arGWyFi.jpg

ThleGc6.jpg

RI9I1tQ.jpg

ldLyYNy.png

6MYVmr3.jpg

8K6diEC.jpg

lY9ve2z.jpg

rYE6SwF.jpg

84kIGrE.jpg

Two new retailers announced: Me Va Me, a middle eastern restaurant with another location in Thornhill, and Chatime, which is the biggest bubble tea chain in the world (there is already a Toronto location at Bay and Dundas). Both restaurants have good ratings on Yelp, so I'm pretty impressed with what's been announced so far. There will definitely be some variety in food choices.

Everything announced so far seems to be in the Cineplex or Marriott buildings, but don't the Nexus buildings have retail along Birchmount that could presumably open later in the year? I wonder what's happening with that?

Where the heck is downtown Markham? I've been working full time since 2008 at Markham Rd. & 14th Ave and go north of 7 almost daily, and have never seen anything resembling a downtown core. All I'm seeing here is a list of denser than usual developments towards 7 and Warden.

Where the heck is downtown Markham? I've been working full time since 2008 at Markham Rd. & 14th Ave and go north of 7 almost daily, and have never seen anything resembling a downtown core. All I'm seeing here is a list of denser than usual developments towards 7 and Warden.

Go to Birchmount and Enterprise if you want to see it taking shape. It's obviously a long-term project, but the Cineplex and the first phase of retail are scheduled to open later in the year and quite a few condo buildings have already gone up.

Great update! I like the street wall along Birchmount. I hope the retail on that portion is decent.

The cineplex is supposed to open later in the year, but I wonder how realistic that is now?

I believe there was a sign along Birchmount that listed the announced retailers along with Cineplex with an opening of 2015.

Back