News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

A sign posted indicates that the following retailers will be opening on the ground floor of the Nexus condo buildings:
- TD Canada Trust
- Raw-More Natural Food Shop
- Tea Shop 168
- Salon Diva
- Chiu Chow Restaurant
- Blueberry Medical Clinic

There are more retailers for the Nexus buildings to be announced.

TD, Tea Shop 168 and Salon Diva are now open. As generic as these may be, at least there is something that people living in Downtown Markham can walk to.

Was at the Cineplex the other day... the retail along with the rising Signature across is making the corner of Birchmount and Entreprise look increasingly exciting.

I just popped into Lucullus Bakery that just opened... cute decor (for an asian bakery heh), very french cafe feel.

It's located beside South Street Burger and Milestones... it sucks that all these entrances are all outside, no indoor access.

I just popped into Lucullus Bakery that just opened... cute decor (for an asian bakery heh), very french cafe feel.

It's located beside South Street Burger and Milestones... it sucks that all these entrances are all outside, no indoor access.

Didn't know they opened up a bakery, will definitely check it out!

Does anyone have nighttime photos of this intersection?

It is INCREDIBLY bright at this intersection. The lights from the carousel, Cineplex building, TV screens. The open concept hotel hasn't even opened yet and it's definitely going to bring more light to the corner. It's very animated at night, briighter than your average DT Toronto streetcorner.

It's getting even brighter now that Good Life is starting to take shape on the second floor. I've been saying it for a little while now to my fiance; I feel bad for whoever bought units at the Signature facing the theatre. Getting the unit lit up by the LED screen is going to get old quick.

If you're referring to the greenlands to the North of York Condos, then no, Remington doesn't have any direct claim or control to that space. The greenlands are part of the city's master plan, and the land is owned by the government (I think federal). I'm referring to the existing parks that are part of the Rouge River tributary system, which you can see on the second page of the PDF at this link. That PDF will also give you an idea for how the local road network will be expanded in the coming years. There are also plans for an urban park to the East of the Signature building currently under construction (North East of the theatre). I haven't heard anything about it since the winning design was selected, which was probably two years ago (at least). It'll probably be a very long time before that park is built out.

I've been meaning to look into the shadowy skull figure that was painted on the side of the Cineplex building, as seen in one of Jimmy's recent photos. It turns out it's by a guy name Richard Hambleton, who was a contemporary of Keith Haring and Jean Michel Basquiat. For a time in the late 70s and early 80s, he was among the most famous of that generation's artists in New York.

He's done a lot of interesting stuff. The painting on the Cineplex building is derivative of his most famous work. It's named "Shadowman". Apparently this is the largest one in the world.

Summary:
Famous New York street artist who hasn't been seen much since 1985. Paints huge mural out of the blue in Downtown Markham -- his biggest ever. What the hell!?

I'll try to get a better shot of it this weekend, but in the meantime here's a repost of Jimmy's photo.

View attachment 40753

So this mural came down as quietly as it went up over the weekend. Wonder if it scared too many kids driving by.

So this mural came down as quietly as it went up over the weekend. Wonder if it scared too many kids driving by.

Ha, I suppose it's possible there were complaints! But I have a feeling it may be related to material and upkeep. Most of the "public art" in downtime Markham appears to be printed on vinyl wraps. A lot them are holding up well (e.g., the ones on the electrical boxes lining Enterprise Blvd). But the Shadowman mural was constantly peeling. It wouldn't surprised me if they've already had to repair it a half dozen times since it went up. Probably one or the other.

Yeah, I noticed the peeling as well. I guess the area's too open and allows for strong wind.

Other updates of note for the area:
- Kiu is now open. I have to go give it a try.
- Carousel components are trickling in. They've also pushed back the fence to complete the brickwork to the curb.
- Raw-More looks like it's just about ready for clients as well.

Raw-More (Moré?) has opened in Nexus South, with another unit (might be the medical clinc) getting fitted out next to it. Both Goodlife and Kiu are actually pretty busy from what I've seen. The Pride of Canada carousel frame has gone up and the adjacent skating rink/splash pad is getting final touches, as is the changeroom facilities.

Back